Thread: Identification help, if possible!

Sequoia Frogs

Default Identification help, if possible!

Hey guys, when I was visiting family in the Southlake/Dallas area of Texas, I stumbled across this little guy, half dead, in their pool filter. I usually would never take an animal away from its natural habitat, but I felt a responsibility to nurse him back to health, so I ended up bringing him home with me to California. He lives in a 20 gallon tank, which I furnished to mimic the stream near the house in Texas (I even bought native plants from the area for it). He is now very healthy and an active eater.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what he is! With around 43 species of frogs/toads in Texas, and the fact that I don't believe he is mature since he is the size of an american penny, identification has been difficult. He keeps to the solid ground, but doesn't dig whatsoever, so I don't think he is a spadefoot.

If anyone could offer some insight on my little friend, I'd greatly appreciate it!^u^

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 1.48.05 PM 2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  37.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Identification help, if possible!

Looks like it may be a gulf coast toad?

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Identification help, if possible!

Hello and welcome to FF ! To ID need closer pics of toad from above and a close up of head from side. In the meantime; here is a good care article for them: Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates. Also, frogs and toads ventral skin is very absorbent. Recommend wash hands well and rinse with dechlorinated water before handling or wear disposable gloves and not put toad on any surface exposed to cleaners or any chemicals .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Sequoia Frogs

Default Re: Identification help, if possible!

Thank you Carlos & Eli, I had considered gulf toad as a possibility, and I will get some close up pictures from above and from the side. No need to worry about handling and care though, I used to keep rough skinned newts that I found in my backyard, and where I work in Peru we keep 50+ species of frog and around 20 species of toad as part of our project

Again, thanks for replying so quickly, and I'll have the close ups soon.

Sequoia Frogs

Default More Photos

Okay, I got a few more pictures. He doesn't sit still for long and my camera's macro lens hasn't arrived yet, so it is difficult to take good pictures.

Name:  DSC_0821.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  31.5 KBName:  DSC_0822.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  29.3 KBName:  photo.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  45.8 KBName:  photo.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  26.8 KB Name:  DSC_0819.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  26.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: More Photos

I love these little guys! When I lived up near the Dallas area I had a creek that ran behind my house. Every childhood memory I have in that house involves these guys, (and the bullfrog no one could ever catch). I do not know what they are called either. My grandfather used to call them wood frogs, (because they lived in the woods by creeks.) I now know it is certainly not a wood frog, but they are cute and teeny tiny creatures.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: More Photos

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidheather View Post
    I love these little guys! When I lived up near the Dallas area I had a creek that ran behind my house. Every childhood memory I have in that house involves these guys, (and the bullfrog no one could ever catch). I do not know what they are called either. My grandfather used to call them wood frogs, (because they lived in the woods by creeks.) I now know it is certainly not a wood frog, but they are cute and teeny tiny creatures.
    Umm, mermaidheather, very old thread

Thread Information