Thread: Help! Pacman female seems to be dying

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help! Pacman female seems to be dying

Our female, about four inches across, burrowed for three months. When she finally came out, a month ago, she seemed totally weak. She barely ate a night crawler two weeks ago, and has had her eyes closed looking emaciated. Two days ago, i washed her off and force fed her a thawed pinky because she still was not eating. Today, she still would not open her eyes or eat. She looks emaciated. I increased her temp to 80 last week hoping to perk her up. Today after i made her eat another thawed pinky, she opened her eyes but acted limp. I gave her three drops of reptirescue but now she looks like she is dying. Any help would be appreciated. We have had her for two years.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help! Pacman female seems to be dying

Our girl sadly is gone. wish someone would tell me what i did wrong as i feel it is my fault. Maybe i stressed her too much.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Not an expert in anyway but I guess it was starvation because of the burrowing, and then that starvation caused irreversible damage.
    Maybe conditions made her think she should burrow when she didn't need to, e.g too cold/dry idk.
    How old was she? Maybe old age made her senses go off. i have no clue, sorry for your loss though.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

She was an adult when we got her, then we had her for five years. I miss her terribly. I wish i hadnt tried to force her to eat but she was so weak and emaciated i thought it would help. I should have let her rest and not stressed her. I misted her tank twice per day. After she came up from burrowing she was too weak to eat. I washed her gently because she had shed skin on her. I should have waited longer to force feed her again i think. I feel sad and terrible like i failed her.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
    She was an adult when we got her, then we had her for five years. I miss her terribly. I wish i hadnt tried to force her to eat but she was so weak and emaciated i thought it would help. I should have let her rest and not stressed her. I misted her tank twice per day. After she came up from burrowing she was too weak to eat. I washed her gently because she had shed skin on her. I should have waited longer to force feed her again i think. I feel sad and terrible like i failed her.
    honestly I don't think you really did anything wrong. IDK what age they become adults exactly but their lifespan is 15 years optimal condition but obviously that's an approxmation. Maybe it was just her time, natural sickness that came from old age. also force feeding sounded like the right step and not extremely stressful. Again, sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
    I dont think the cause of death was starvation, unless she was already skinny before going under for 3 months. I have a 3 and a 2 year old pacman. They go under for winter till summer for almost 8 months! And when they come out they have not lost much weight and are able to eat. Its possible the cause was old age.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I know that in the wild they bury for months like you said yours do. Is it possible that some are more adapted to those conditions than others? Bc I feel like my pacman frog could never survive 8 months of no food.

Thread Information