Thread: Blue Dumpy Tree Frog?

CaliKiid

Default Blue Dumpy Tree Frog?

Hi ive had my two dumpy tree frogs for about three weeks now (Yin&Yang) so I was doing some research on how to tell what gender they are. Ive read that you can check by there hands and how close there ear is to there eyes and also just boy frogs croak. So I checked out my frogs and I thought I had a girl and a boy because Yin (the boy) was the only one croaking since ive got them but after a week or two the one I thought was a girl started croaking as well so that's when I got really confused ive also read that the females are bigger than the males. Yet the one I think is a girl is bigger than the boy and I also have another question the girl (Yang) was always brown when I got her and when I noticed her croaking shes been turning blue during the day so im not sure if shes sick or what they live in a 20 gallon tank with a lot of stuff to climb on with a waterfall and fogger I feed them two crickets every 2or3 days so please someone reply back im very curious thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello! Welcome to the frog forum !!

You are in the pacman frog forum, you will get better responses in the tree frog forum.

If they are both croaking then they are undoubtedly both males

Whites do like to change color. Although when they are not feeling well they do turn a deeper brown than normal. Can you post a pic of both the frog and the enclosure?

What are the temps and humidity?

Is the 20 gallon tank a 20 high? If not (and im sorry to be blunt) this is not an adequate enclosure for two white's tree frogs. Even in the 20 h two will not be happy. You should get an 18x18x24 tank at least.

Have you been dusting the crickets with calcium and vitamins and gut loading them?

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

CaliKiid

Default Re: Blue Dumpy Tree Frog?

Thank you for the reply and I didn't know I was on the pacman forum thanks and the temp is around 80 during the day and 75 at night the humidity is always above 50 Yes it's a 20 gallon tall exo terra and Yes I always dust there crickets but I don't understand what is gut loading them? I'll post a picture as well

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you please provide the dimensions of the tank (length, width, and height)

gut loading is feeding the crickets a nutritious diet at least 24 hours prior to feeding.

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

CaliKiid

My tank is 18x18x24 and I'm trying to post a picture but I'm not sure how I'm new to This

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah okay that is a good size. An 18x18x24 is actually 33 gallons not twenty

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

CaliKiid

Okay well I'm new to this can three frogs live In there ?

Nationality
    [United States]

No, two is the max

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United States]

Eli has given you good info on the WTF. But as for the “calling” part, females will make noise, it sounds more like a duck feeding call and their throat sack does not extend and is white, not dark like the males are. They also do this when extremely irritated. Shad does it when one of the boys crawls over her, she's a real hoot.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

CaliKiid

Hey thanks Ive noticed that to when she croaks her throat doesn't stay big but the boys does but his throat doesn't get dark

Nationality
    [United States]

How often does the girl "croak"? It takes a few months of constant croaking to get the throat dark.

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

CaliKiid

Not so much once a week I would say she croaks when she first gets to her favorite spot In the cage

Thread Information