Thread: !!!!Gastrophryne carolinensis!!!!

tattooed81

Default !!!!Gastrophryne carolinensis!!!!

Frog hunting tonight documented some hyla versicolor and caught this little specimen. Gastrophryne carolinensis http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/amphibians...%20track26.wav
    I haven`t seen but maby 4 of these my entire life and this is a beautiful specimen you can hear them like there are millions down by the pond. I find this little fellow in a tire rut.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: !!!!Gastrophryne carolinensis!!!!

Pretty cool Microhylid! My choices for native herps isn't that great as it is in Virginia. I come across bullfrogs, wood frogs and eastern American toads mostly, and I have no interest keeping any of these species. Of course these three species can be found without leaving my yard.
    I heard a toad calling last night from the back yard, it was raining, so I grabbed my flash light and went looking. All I found was a bull frog sitting under the diving board. Never found the toad

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I keep trying to find these things but I'm terrible at it - I can hear them but they hide too well.

Kurt

At least you have the option of finding them. New England has no native Microhylids

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I found a bunch of tadpoles of this species yesterday - they were in the few puddles that remained of the Hyla versicolor pond where I photographed the calling males in March this year. They're almost certainly done for - they had no back legs and there can't be more than a week left for those few puddles. I was tempted to take some home (I've never seen them before) but the last thing I need is another animal species.

Thread Information