Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    if only the one frog died maybe( a toad fish died eating them too ) but all the frogs got ill and as soon as i stopped feeding the peat worms they got better id say it was the peat , also the breeders i know in Michigan also had the same issues with peat .they also lost fish due to peat as i said with peat at least "milk" the worms which is squeezing them so they have no fecies in them this removes the majority of the peat .Personally ill take the dirt kept worms i have had no issues with them that way . I didnt feel like taking them to the u of i to have them autopsied you never know whats in peat at least i know whats in my topsoil.
    I believe it was the peat that killed them so i am being safe so far what i am doing works for my frogs , they are healthy now and have been since the diet change.
    I've never seen earthworms housed in only Peat moss. There is always something else mixed with it. Peat moss is far too acidic for the worms to remain in it for extended periods. Even bacteria have trouble growing in acidic soils. Archaea on the other hand can survive in such conditions, but they are not known to cause disease.

I would almost bet that the worms were contaminated with something else. Even those that the other person you mentioned had. Fish require specific PH levels and if they ate something acidic then it is not surprising that their insides would be damaged and they would die. I still think that something else caused the deaths. Something like that requires testing and if it were me I would have done so because knowing these things is important for keeping such animals.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information