Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

I have no idea what just went on with my frog just a few minutes ago. He was perfectly fine yesterday, he ate worms and was burrowed in his spot.
    Today though, he seemed off. So I kept an eye on him through the day. He was sitting up, rather than burrowed down, and he kind of looked like he was in poop mode.

So, this just happened. I moved him over to check for poop, and I put him in his water dish. He seemed ok at first, but then he started sticking his tongue out and then vomited up some clear mucousy stuff, and it smelled... I took him out of the water dish immediately. The part that terrified me, after this happened a big bubble came out of his mouth, like his throat had come inside out of his mouth and bubbled out or something and it stayed like that. I wish I had gotten a picture to post on here but I was on the phone panicking and crying to my mom because I was sure he was going to die right then. It stayed like that a couple of minutes and then went back to normal.

Now he is just sitting there completely still (he is still alive though I keep checking on him) he isn't burrowing and he has not moved from the spot he is in. I am really worried. Is there something I can do for him? Does anyone know what might be wrong with him?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

I may be answering my own question here, but could my frog have been regurgitating something he ate? Like his food from yesterday? I was just doing some reading and read that frogs can push their stomachs out through their mouths.

Can someone verify this? I am still very concerned for my Blob.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Just an update. My pacman seems back to normal now. He has moved now and is burrowed back into the substrate and is looking better. I am going to keep a close eye on him tonight and tomorrow. So maybe he was just regurgitating something.

If anyone still has some insight on this I would appreciate it, I have never dealt with this before and I am just guessing that this is what happened from reading stuff online- and that can't always be reliable.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I do not know much about pacman frogs to know what is going on, it may help to copy/paste and fill out this questionnaire so that the people who do have experience with pacmans have more information to help you --

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Beebulz View Post
    Just an update. My pacman seems back to normal now. He has moved now and is burrowed back into the substrate and is looking better. I am going to keep a close eye on him tonight and tomorrow. So maybe he was just regurgitating something.

If anyone still has some insight on this I would appreciate it, I have never dealt with this before and I am just guessing that this is what happened from reading stuff online- and that can't always be reliable.
    Your frog needs a vet. He either has intestinal parasites or a bacterial infection. They don't do this unless something is wrong. Usually its the two issues I mentioned.

7. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

How do you find a vet for frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]

I just lucked out, there is a local vet that treats exotic animals including reptiles... so maybe amphibians too? I am looking to get other phone numbers to call tomorrow morning. I know there is a herp veterinarian somewhere about an hour or so from here I'm just not exactly sure where, so I am searching.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Good luck, Beebulz.

11. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I just called three 24 hour vets and finally found one that deals with frogs... The veterinarian that was on shift didn't have a lot of experience with frogs so he wasn't comfortable with diagnosing anything, but did say that the stomach regurgitation does happen for various reasons (if they think something is toxic, etc) but it could also be something else. I am going to call back in the morning when the office opens and try to get an appointment for him to be seen by their exotic pet veterinarians as soon as possible.

Nationality
    [United States]

Updating you guys again. I called the vet office this morning once the exotic pet vets were in and they got me an appointment today, it is in about 4 hours. I will update once I have seen the vet. Wish us luck! Let's hope Blob is ok!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

You are actually lucky there is a vet who can help! Good luck at your app. Keeping crossed fingers here.

Thank you for taking a good care of your little guy.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Good luck with veterinary visit! Sharing these links in case needed for future emergencies: Arav and Herp Vet Connection .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

16. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Just got back a little bit ago. Im glad I listened to you guys and not my boyfriend who was trying to tell me he was fine and was looking it up online that its a good thing to happen because it can get toxic things out of their bodies. No, the vet said this is not normal and it always indicates something is wrong.

Luckily Blob pooped this morning so I could take a sample in. No parasites were found, which was good news. The vet didnt feel any lumps or intestinal obstruction. She did see some blushing on his tummy which I would have never noticed, she said that can be a sign of infection. So in the end she started him on antibiotics today for 7 days, and wants me to keep an eye on things. If it happens again the next step would be x-rays and blood work.

The fun for me is trying to give a frog a syringe of antibiotics everyday (although he was quite cooperative in the vet office)

Nationality
    [Canada]

You are so very very lucky! You not just got a vet nearby who sees frogs, by what you are saying she is very knowledgeable vet! Not many if such are around unfortunately.

please keep us updating and ill keep my fingers crossed for fast recovery.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I did get very lucky finding someone so knowledable about frogs. I think there are only two vets that will care for frogs within my driving distance. The one I went to was an hour away, the other one close to that one.

By the way, I dont know if anyone will see this to help them. I live in Maryland, near the DC metro area and had to travel to Northern Virginia in Fairfax to get to this vet so I would like to put their information on here in case anyone else on here ever needs a frog vet in the same area.

Pender Exotics
    4001 Legato Road
    Fairfax, VA
    Phone 703 654 3100

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm so glad you took him in! Thanks for taking the steps to make sure he gets help. Lija is right, you are very lucky with the vet. I had an amphib vet here who was reluctant to help me with frogs (last time I took one in, he told me that he wasn't going to make it and sent me home with no further advice...that was a year ago and I managed to bring that frog back to good health) and now that vet no longer treats amphibs at all. Wouldn't even give me ssd cream the last time I called to get some!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thats terrible! I wonder why so many vets are reluctant to provide care for amphibians, you see so many out there that work with reptiles and other exotics.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Beebulz View Post
    Thats terrible! I wonder why so many vets are reluctant to provide care for amphibians, you see so many out there that work with reptiles and other exotics.
    They don't like to treat amphibians most of the time. Amphibian medical care is still in its early stages. There is still much that is not known about them.

23. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    They don't like to treat amphibians most of the time. Amphibian medical care is still in its early stages. There is still much that is not known about them.
    I'd rather a vet just say they don't know how to treat amphibians than try to treat an animal they know nothing about without letting you know they aren't qualified to do exotics; seen some real horror stories about situations like that. I had a really great vet in my home town who would help out with reptiles since there was no other local option, but he made it clear that he wasn't an exotics vet, so you knew what you were dealing with.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

25. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

So Blob is less than happy about all of this. I have never really handled him much before this because pacman frogs are burrowers and I usually leave him alone other than to clean his tank. Will he get used to being held? He is so wiggly and pees everywhere, but I can't avoid picking him up because I need to give him medicine. I feel so bad stressing him out

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information