Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    They don't ever get to where they particularly 'enjoy' being held, but they get used to it where it doesn't stress them out terribly. The best thing about animals without object permanence is they don't remember you were there once you're out of their sight though, so he probably doesn't stay that stressed for very long
    Not trying to make anyone panic, but they do remember very well. Any of mine that I've had to force feed or give injections to remember. If they see me with a plastic spoon and a feeding syringe they blow up like a balloon. They also remember the sound of me flicking the air to the top of a syringe. I do not fully know the extent of their memories, but they remember stressful situations because it relates to their survival instincts. They do tend to know who feeds them too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Wal-Mart worms are fine. You can't compair dogs and fish directly to frogs. It's not exactly peat moss. Its a mixture of different things. I will say that some frogs don't like the taste of the soil in the Wal-Mart worms but have seen no harm come from them being eaten that was due to the soil they are packed in.

Red Wigglers only release their nasty yellow mucus when they are damaged. As long as they aren't cut the frog can swallow them whole and not worry about getting put off worms. If he does ever get a taste of that mucus he may stop eating worms all together.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Not trying to make anyone panic, but they do remember very well. Any of mine that I've had to force feed or give injections to remember. If they see me with a plastic spoon and a feeding syringe they blow up like a balloon. They also remember the sound of me flicking the air to the top of a syringe. I do not fully know the extent of their memories, but they remember stressful situations because it relates to their survival instincts. They do tend to know who feeds them too.
    yeah lol they seem to know what medicine is i dewormed mine before and she was extremely mad at me turns out she didn't have parasites but some darn fruit flys got into her stool and made maggots . it was one of only 2 time she ever bit me she knew what it was the second dose lol!

Nationality
    [United States]

Wal-Mart worms are fine. You can't compair dogs and fish directly to frogs. It's not exactly peat moss. Its a mixture of different things. I will say that some frogs don't like the taste of the soil in the Wal-Mart worms but have seen no harm come from them being eaten that was due to the soil they are packed in.

Red Wigglers only release their nasty yellow mucus when they are damaged. As long as they aren't cut the frog can swallow them whole and not worry about getting put off worms. If he does ever get a taste of that mucus he may stop eating worms all together.
    So it is ok to continue to feed Blob the night crawlers from wal mart?? I will probably still get him the red wigglers too because he did like those, and they were from a pet store and stored in actual soil rather than cheap peat moss, but I don't want to waste worms.

I know Blob knows what medicine is by now, he HATES the stuff. He kept trying to spit it out after I would give it to him. And when I picked him up he would puff up and make their little pacman squeaking/croaking noise and I've never heard him make that before, ever.
    Luckily Blob never bit me, sorry yours did Randy

Randy

small footnote i don't compare frogs to dogs but the fact is peat moss in the worms killed my male afc .these worms came from uncle jims worm farm and they refunded my purchase which makes me think they KNEW about the tainted peat they used .Many aquaria enthusiasts i know have had similar problems with worms in peat moss killing their prize fish as well .I myself will never feed any pet i own a peat moss kept worm . My other frogs as well as my fish also got extremely ill until they passed the worms they ate and for a week after . since then i have only given them worms kept in soil or wild caught worms from my yard which receives no pesticides . This is a fact it happened and i do not make the same mistakes twice . peat moss worms to me are good for fishing but that's about it . My words only come from my experiences and i am glad you guys have not had the same experience with those worms as i did .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    small footnote i don't compare frogs to dogs but the fact is peat moss in the worms killed my male afc .these worms came from uncle jims worm farm and they refunded my purchase which makes me think they KNEW about the tainted peat they used .Many aquaria enthusiasts i know have had similar problems with worms in peat moss killing their prize fish as well .I myself will never feed any pet i own a peat moss kept worm . My other frogs as well as my fish also got extremely ill until they passed the worms they ate and for a week after . since then i have only given them worms kept in soil or wild caught worms from my yard which receives no pesticides . This is a fact it happened and i do not make the same mistakes twice . peat moss worms to me are good for fishing but that's about it . My words only come from my experiences and i am glad you guys have not had the same experience with those worms as i did .
    I see everyone has different opinions on here, but you have gotten me a little weary of feeding my frog the night crawlers in the peat moss now. I would rather just go back to the red wigglers from the pet store kept in the soil that I know for sure are safe. Blob did like those too.

The red wigglers are easier to buy for me too, because honestly, I HATE going to Wal Mart. I avoid it like the plague. The pet store is closer and I don't have to deal with the horrendous crowds of people, and I am really not saving any money. I get more red wigglers in a container than I do the night crawlers and pay the same price.

Isn't moss in general bad for frogs anyway? I've read that you don't put moss as decor into frog tanks because if they ingest it, it will cause impaction. Although, I am not sure if peat moss is the same thing.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    One death without testing does not prove that the frog died from the soil eaten by the worms. Some substrates contain peat moss and although acidic I don't believe it would be sold as substrate if it were toxic when ingested. Those worms were most likely contaiminated with something else. It is possible, but if not tested you can not claim that the frog died due to the peat. I am sorry your frog died. I do consider all possibilities when there is a death though.

Don't induce panic over one experience. Did anything else or yours die after eating them?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Beebulz View Post
    I see everyone has different opinions on here, but you have gotten me a little weary of feeding my frog the night crawlers in the peat moss now. I would rather just go back to the red wigglers from the pet store kept in the soil that I know for sure are safe. Blob did like those too.

The red wigglers are easier to buy for me too, because honestly, I HATE going to Wal Mart. I avoid it like the plague. The pet store is closer and I don't have to deal with the horrendous crowds of people, and I am really not saving any money. I get more red wigglers in a container than I do the night crawlers and pay the same price.

Isn't moss in general bad for frogs anyway? I've read that you don't put moss as decor into frog tanks because if they ingest it, it will cause impaction. Although, I am not sure if peat moss is the same thing.
    The worms are fine. Without testing to give proof that this is the cause of death it cannot be said that this is the cause. You are becoming paniced and do not need to be.

Large strands of sphagnum can cause impaction if eaten.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, sphagnum moss, not peat moss... Sorry I got them confused. That is why I panicked.

I will finish feeding the rest of this container of night crawlers then since I have read several threads on here, and I think you answered my question about feeding night crawlers on another thread I posted a while ago, that it is ok to feed these night crawlers.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, sphagnum moss, not peat moss... Sorry I got them confused. That is why I panicked.

I will finish feeding the rest of this container of night crawlers then since I have read several threads on here, and I think you answered my question about feeding night crawlers on another thread I posted a while ago, that it is ok to feed these night crawlers.
    If you still don't feel comfortable using them you can try and find other sources. There is something about containers of worms you need to know. If you find one dead worm in a container then the whole container is bad. The dead worm will begin to grow bacteria that will make the other worms unsafe. Always check to make sure all worms in each container are healthy and alive.

12. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

If you're iffy on whether or not to use a feeder, don't use it. They're comparatively cheap compared to your frog getting sick from potentially harmful food.

Mine definitely recognizes me as opposed to someone else, and remembers situations, but if something moves out of her field of vision, you can tell she is immediately confused by it... Kind of how babies think you've disappeared if you cover their eyes. I wonder how you'd describe their long-term memories, like people and equipment; I know they recognize it, but I get the feeling it's probably more of an associative thing like "Spoon=Fear" rather than them actually recalling a memory.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]

That is true, feeder insects and worms aren't expensive so throwing out a container isn't a loss for me. I'd rather do that than harm my little guy.
    I did not know that about the worm containers though, I use them up pretty quickly though. I will be more aware and check each time before I feed him from now on.

Yea frogs have to have some kind of long term memories, or else they wouldn't remember that a moving cricket/worm/bug = food. Or with my frog, he sees my red tongs when I am placing his food down and sometimes opens his mouth wide. Does anyone elses frog do that?

Nationality
    [United States]

A lot got posted while I was writing my last reply apparently! Didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with Grif, the worms probably are safe, I just toss cheap food when I'm not 100% sure it's safe even when it probably would be.

Yea frogs have to have some kind of long term memories, or else they wouldn't remember that a moving cricket/worm/bug = food. Or with my frog, he sees my red tongs when I am placing his food down and sometimes opens his mouth wide. Does anyone elses frog do that?
    Mine only do that if they're A) Inhaling air before shedding/eating their shed, or B) They struck at something and missed, and are trying to get substrate out of their mouth.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh ok. So I will continue with the night crawlers since you both think it is ok, I just bought them recently but I will definitely double check that they are all still alive now in the container at the advice of Grif.

He kind of opens his mouth and snaps at the tongs, I'm not sure if its because he knows the red tongs=food or if its just because the movement. I try to keep the tongs away from his mouth though so he doesn't bite on them. I do know what you mean about them opening and trying to get the substrate out, that has happened a couple of times eating crickets. He was doing that when I was giving him his antibiotic to him last week trying to spit it out of his mouth I guess.

I don't think I have ever seen Blob shed.
    Do you ever see yours shed/eat theirs, and how often do they do it?

Nationality
    [United States]

Their memories I would assume become part of their instincts like fear of predators and what is food. Of course they look confused when something moves out of view DV lol! They almost always look like they're staring into space. It would be an interesting study to find the extent of their memory capacity. They probably do have more short term than long term, but they do have some long term memory. Recognizing objects and people, and even voices.

Don't worry about sounding like you're disagreeing with me. I feel if you're not comfortable with a feeder don't use it. Better safe than sorry.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh ok. So I will continue with the night crawlers since you both think it is ok, I just bought them recently but I will definitely double check that they are all still alive now in the container at the advice of Grif.

He kind of opens his mouth and snaps at the tongs, I'm not sure if its because he knows the red tongs=food or if its just because the movement. I try to keep the tongs away from his mouth though so he doesn't bite on them. I do know what you mean about them opening and trying to get the substrate out, that has happened a couple of times eating crickets. He was doing that when I was giving him his antibiotic to him last week trying to spit it out of his mouth I guess.

I don't think I have ever seen Blob shed.
    Do you ever see yours shed/eat theirs, and how often do they do it?
    Froglets and juveniles will shed everyday to every two days. Subadults and adults maybe once or twice a week sometimes more.

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't worry about sounding like you're disagreeing with me. I feel if you're not comfortable with a feeder don't use it. Better safe than sorry.
    lol, I wouldn't worry about it if I actually disagreed, but I agree there's nothing inherently wrong with feeding worms kept in moss.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    lol, I wouldn't worry about it if I actually disagreed, but I agree there's nothing inherently wrong with feeding worms kept in moss.
    See all good

Nationality
    [United States]

See all good
    Good Worms for dinner it is lol!

Randy

One death without testing does not prove that the frog died from the soil eaten by the worms. Some substrates contain peat moss and although acidic I don't believe it would be sold as substrate if it were toxic when ingested. Those worms were most likely contaiminated with something else. It is possible, but if not tested you can not claim that the frog died due to the peat. I am sorry your frog died. I do consider all possibilities when there is a death though.

Don't induce panic over one experience. Did anything else or yours die after eating them?
    if only the one frog died maybe( a toad fish died eating them too ) but all the frogs got ill and as soon as i stopped feeding the peat worms they got better id say it was the peat , also the breeders i know in Michigan also had the same issues with peat .they also lost fish due to peat as i said with peat at least "milk" the worms which is squeezing them so they have no fecies in them this removes the majority of the peat .Personally ill take the dirt kept worms i have had no issues with them that way . I didnt feel like taking them to the u of i to have them autopsied you never know whats in peat at least i know whats in my topsoil.
    I believe it was the peat that killed them so i am being safe so far what i am doing works for my frogs , they are healthy now and have been since the diet change.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information