Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Quote Originally Posted by Beebulz View Post
    So Blob is less than happy about all of this. I have never really handled him much before this because pacman frogs are burrowers and I usually leave him alone other than to clean his tank. Will he get used to being held? He is so wiggly and pees everywhere, but I can't avoid picking him up because I need to give him medicine. I feel so bad stressing him out
    They don't ever get to where they particularly 'enjoy' being held, but they get used to it where it doesn't stress them out terribly. The best thing about animals without object permanence is they don't remember you were there once you're out of their sight though, so he probably doesn't stay that stressed for very long
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

2. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    They don't ever get to where they particularly 'enjoy' being held, but they get used to it where it doesn't stress them out terribly. The best thing about animals without object permanence is they don't remember you were there once you're out of their sight though, so he probably doesn't stay that stressed for very long
    Thats good to know. I just gave him his medicine tonight by myself and he did seem to be less squirmy and didn't pee. Maybe he didn't like my boyfriend being around yesterday lol (he was the one helping me give his medicine). He also opened his mouth right up for the syringe this time. I think he is starting to feel better because I finally got him to eat a small piece of cut up night crawler tonight, he hasn't eaten since early last week, I'm really happy about that

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry if I am being obnoxious with these updates...

So Blob seems to be having trouble eating. I have only been able to get him to eat two small cut up pieces of night crawler, one on Sunday and one today. He had to be assisted with it, like I had to put the night crawler right in front of his mouth because he kept opening his mouth and snapping but not lunging for it. After eating one small piece he refused anymore and would push away the rest with his front foot or turn away and burrow deeper in the substrate so I would leave him alone.

I called the vet today and told them what was going on, they said because he was still early on his course of antibiotics they didn't need to see him in there yet, but did want to put him on a prescription liquid diet for a week or so. I am going to pick up the prescription tonight, so we will see how he does on it.

Everyone send good healthy froggy vibes to Blob so he gets better soon!!

Nationality
    [United States]

If antibiotics affect his digestion like they do mine; totally understand his behavior and feel sorry for Blob !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Like Mentat said, that's probably nothing to worry about. Nothing wants to eat while taking antibiotics, people included :P
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]

Great news guys!! Today Blob finally ate on his own! That night crawler had no chance against this pacman lol.

I cut up pieces of night crawler for him and he ate almost a whole one before he was full. I didn't expect him to eat too much, as I had fed him his liquid food the vet gave him earlier today. Since he is eating now I can discontinue that. But, I am very excited he is eating now

He takes his last dose of antibiotic tomorrow, he will be sooo happy about that. He seems to hate the taste of it. After I give it he opens and closes his mouth like he would want to spit it out. He also hates being handled so often and has started making squeaking noises- is that the pacman equivalent to croaking?

Blob seems to have made a full recovery! This will be my last update on this thread. Thanks so much everyone, I wouldn't have known how to get through all of this without you guys

9. This member thanks Beebulz for this post:

WorldClassFrogCoddler

just want to say, you are certainly not being obnoxious by providing updates. the more updates, the better, and good, solid, well documented experiences like yours and blobs are exactly the way we learn about our beloved slimeballs. I for one thank you. more updates from everyone who makes a thread would be marvelous.

LisaGarcia

Thank you for the Vet info! I have been looking for a vet near us and have not been able to find one. The vet I USED to go for my dogs does it but I left there for a reason (I won't spend money somewhere when they are concerned about the breed of dog I have) I happen to work in Fairfax so this will be great!

I am glad you were able to get your little guy in and that he will be ok!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LisaGarcia View Post
    Thank you for the Vet info! I have been looking for a vet near us and have not been able to find one. The vet I USED to go for my dogs does it but I left there for a reason (I won't spend money somewhere when they are concerned about the breed of dog I have) I happen to work in Fairfax so this will be great!

I am glad you were able to get your little guy in and that he will be ok!
    I'm glad I could help. The vets and techs there are so great and they helped me a lot over the phone when I couldn't make it into the office. They are 24 hours too so if there is an emergency you can call. They have a regular vet office too, I highly recommend them if you are nearby. Dr. Torres is their frog vet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, last update. Blob just took his last dose of antibiotic this evening, yay! Here he is, happy (or maybe not so happy since he just was bothered from his burrowed spot) and healthy again!

Name:  DSCN4166.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  189.8 KB

Again, I really want to thank everyone here, you have helped Blob and I so much while he was getting better. I don't know if he would have survived without the knowledge and help from the people on this forum.

Randy

listen where do you get your worms? some worms come packed in something other than soil, an additive that will kill your frog .
    i ordered some form uncle jims worm farm once and my best male afc ate a couple and promptly died .My best bet on Crawlers are to get them during or after a rain storm and leaving them in some very good soil ( i have my own worm farm container ) for a month to get all the nasty s out .If you think that the worms might have something in them you should "milk" the filling out of them ( thats squeezing the **** out fo them literally lol). My pacmans wont eat them anyways but my afcs love them .

15. This member thanks Randy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    listen where do you get your worms? some worms come packed in something other than soil, an additive that will kill your frog .
    i ordered some form uncle jims worm farm once and my best male afc ate a couple and promptly died .My best bet on Crawlers are to get them during or after a rain storm and leaving them in some very good soil ( i have my own worm farm container ) for a month to get all the nasty s out .If you think that the worms might have something in them you should "milk" the filling out of them ( thats squeezing the **** out fo them literally lol). My pacmans wont eat them anyways but my afcs love them .
    I get night crawlers from wal mart, I was told on here it was safe to get them from there on this forum. They don't have any dyes and are in peat moss. I rinse them off in dechlorinated water before feeding.
    Do you think that isn't safe?

I was feeding him red wigglers I got from a pet store prior to this.

Randy

If i buy any i buy them fro my local pet store . Sailfin pet shop. Its a small privately owned store and the worms come packed in topsoil.I wont buy worms at walmart , they buy the cheapest things to save money and pas the savings on to you which could result in tainted worms .Peat moss, used by gardeners, is commonly treated with pesticides and other chemicals during processing. Generally cleaned of all chemical residue, commercial peat moss may contain traces of harmful elements. In general, however, peat moss is listed as nontoxic.Although peat moss is nontoxic, it can cause gastrointestinal irritation. The symptoms of peat moss ingestion are nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. Contact your veterinarian for care advice.

Read more : Is Peat Moss Toxic to Dogs? | eHow

Read more : Is Peat Moss Toxic to Dogs? | eHow so even washing off peatmoss can still leave traces of toxins. Id buy your worms from a bonafied pet store or bait shop.And id only buy them packed in dirt .

18. This member thanks Randy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    If i buy any i buy them fro my local pet store . Sailfin pet shop. Its a small privately owned store and the worms come packed in topsoil.I wont buy worms at walmart , they but the cheapest things to save money and pas the savings on to you which could result in tainted worms .Peat moss, used by gardeners, is commonly treated with pesticides and other chemicals during processing. Generally cleaned of all chemical residue, commercial peat moss may contain traces of harmful elements. In general, however, peat moss is listed as nontoxic.Although peat moss is nontoxic, it can cause gastrointestinal irritation. The symptoms of peat moss ingestion are nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. Contact your veterinarian for care advice.

Read more : Is Peat Moss Toxic to Dogs? | eHow

Read more : Is Peat Moss Toxic to Dogs? | eHow so even washing off peatmoss can still leave traces of toxins. Id buy your worms from a bonafied pet store or bait shop.And id only buy them packed in dirt .
    Thanks for the info. I had been feeding Blob red wigglers from a pet store before, those were not in peat moss. I had just started feeding him night crawlers recently. The local pet store doesnt carry night crawlers. Are red wigglers just as nutritious? I may switch him back to those.

Randy

yes red wigglers are fine and not so large so you do not have to cut them up .My smaller fish love red wigglers i have a southern purple spotted gudgeon who will dance at the glass when he knows i have some ready for him lol!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help!!! Something just happened to my frog, and I'm not sure if something is wrong or if he is dying :(

The red wrigglers taste horrible to the frogs. Dont be surprised if your frog refuses them or all worms

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Randy

i dont think you read his post his frog likes them as do my afcs but my pacmans hate worms all together , even if forced to feed on them they just spit them out , slimy as they are i don't blame them lol .If the frog was raised on them he will like them .My american toads also loved worms , they preferred red wigglers to nightcrawlers .

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes Blob does like red wigglers, he had been eating them for quite a while before I switched him recently to night crawlers. I have heard some frogs don't like them though. I am just wondering how everyone knows they have a bad taste, have you guys actually eaten them yourselves lol?

Just a side note Randy, I am a girl.

Randy

lol oh sorry my bad( forgive me for thinking you were a guy there was no disrespect implied )
    ,i just heard Dean my male calling to my female Sam.they are buried right next to each other enjoying a heat pad .If you get a chance please post some pictures in a album i do love to see everyone's frogs , i can browse through their albums for hours .many people think they know a lot of things but you have a point (laughing here ) how would they know how they taste haha.

Nationality
    [United States]

No offense taken, I am fairly new here so no one really knows who I am quite yet.

I am going to try and get some pictures of Blob this week. I just had to get him a new tank this weekend (well I was lucky to find a used one in very good condition off of craiglist), his tank cracked on one side this past week when cleaning it. He should be feeling better so when I switch out his tank tomorrow maybe he will give me some good poses

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information