Thread: Gray Tree Frog with Red Swollen Leg - Help!

beccabu

Default Gray Tree Frog with Red Swollen Leg - Help!

Hello, I found this friendly tree frog (I believe) hanging out on my deck. I didn't realize it this morning, but when I saw him there this afternoon I noticed his leg looked extremely red and swollen. I want to help the frog but do not know the best way to. I saw on another forum a suggestion from a vet to get a bottle of sterile 0.9 normal saline and a jug of distilled water from the bottled water to mix the 0.9 normal saline solution with the distilled water into a 50/50 solution. Then gently drizzle it daily over the wound daily, and apply original Neosporin (NO pain reliever...just the original...the pain reliever type is toxic to them) to the area with a new Qtip each day.

Does this sound like a good plan? I've shared a picture as well for everyone to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog with Red Swollen Leg - Help!

Looks like an infected open wound . Yes, you can apply plain Neosporin twice a day to wound area with a Q-tip. If you can get some plain silver based antibiotic or Baytril; they are better than Neosporin. Here is a good care article for them: Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh poor baby, thanks for helping him
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

If you use neosporin -- be sue to use the WITHOUT pain reliever
    The anesthetic in the "pain reliever" could really harm or even kill the frog.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

beccabu

Thanks for all the assistance! I have been applying neosporin (original, no pain reliever) twice a day now for almost two days, though it is hard to know if I'm getting enough on and in the crucial areas. I was able to clean up his leg a bit, which had a lot of dirt and leaves stuck to it. Though he seems to be doing ok it is obvious that it might take him a bit longer to recover. After keeping him for a couple days it now appears to me that it looks as though he is almost missing his skin entirely on this portion of his leg, so I'm not sure what his recovery timeline will be, or how this could have even happened.

At least I have been able to keep his leg away from any other potential bacteria and allow him to rest. I have tried to tempt him with some dead flies, and he currently has a live fly in with him, but I haven't seen him eat anything yet.

I have attached an updated photo, which shows the dirt removed from the distal end of his foot, but the area still looks red (not sure if this is muscle or infection, probably both).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

Ouch; that is exposed muscle with damaged fascia. It will take long; but should recover if infection does not set in. As long as frog does not get too stressed; would also add a twice a day soak in combination of Melafix and Pimafix (API fish medications) solution prepared per label instructions with dechlorinated water. They will help control internal bacteria and prevent fungus from developing in dead tissue. You can make a gallon solution and keep in dark place until used. Carefully place frog in either a very small critter keeper or a plastic bowl with holed up top filled with Melafix/Pimafix solution to frog's chin level. Let it soak for 20 minutes and return to it's enclosure. Can also use that solution in the frog's water dish (replace daily). If frog get's too stressed with handling; then can drip solution over frog's back and injury instead (eye dropper works fine).

Frogs don't eat dead stuff; they need movement to attract a hit. Take a look at distance between frog's eyes and get some crickets same size or smaller. Gut load them with carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal 24-48 hours before feeding frog. Also, need to dust food, more information in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Can also use similar sized Dubia roaches. If frog is a tiny baby can feed the bigger D. hydei fruit flies, also dusted. If you can get a Fluker's product called ReptaBoost can dust all it's food for a week with it; then resume normal CA/D3 and vitamin dusting. Hope this helps and please continue with updates .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

beccabu

Hello again, back to post another update! So I got the Melafix and Pimafix and for the last 24 hours have been soaking the frog for 20 minutes in the morning and at night with non-chlorinated water and as per bottle instructions. I'll continue to do this as it seems to be doing a good job. I believe there may be a hint of the skin starting to regrow, but the only portion that worries me is the tip of the toes as that has the darkest skin on it and I'm not sure if it is getting better or worse at this point. He doesn't seem to mind the soaking, as long as he gets to be in there with a leaf

I also purchased some meal worms, thinking that with a hurt leg it might make for an easier meal. I believe that he may have eaten one last night and so I put two more in the cage overnight tonight. I'll see if they are there in the morning, but this would be the only food he has been willing to eat for the last three days, so I'm hoping that he will start to show a more regular appetite soon.

Here is another picture below as an update (from his soak tonight), it is a little dimmer than the previous ones which makes comparison a little more difficult but I think he is doing good considering everything!

Name:  photo copy 2.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  79.9 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Crickets will be easier for him to digest at this point, you can tong feed him, all my greys take food really well that way. You could also try and get him to eat some earthworm pieces. Thank you for the updates and thanks again for helping him!!!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

beccabu

Thanks to everyone for your help and assistance. Unfortunately I think it was all just a bit too much for this little frog who died a couple days ago. I did try to get him to eat some crickets which were refused but it seems it just was not enough. The last time I bathed him he seemed very weak and tired. I'd like to think that given the injuries the chance of survival was low to begin with and at the least I provided the best chance possible for this frog. If anything I have a much greater understanding and respect for these little guys! Thank you again for all your help along the way!

Thread Information