Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goldfish help!

limnologist

Default Re: Goldfish help!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbt123 View Post
    What does that mean? I do %50 water changes daily. I think it may have been my camera making it look 'dead' as it was dark in my room and my camera sucks lol
    when I say that, I mean there is too much waste in exchange for bacteria. You should try cycling a tank and not changing it for a few months. the bacteria naturally grow and take care of all the waste, keeping the water clear. I wouldnt recommend water changes every day, there is too much room for error.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fbt123

Ok how ofteb shall i do them

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

limnologist

after you have the water stabilized you can leave it for 5 months.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by limnologist View Post
    after you have the water stabilized you can leave it for 5 months.
    5 months without a water change on a small tank with a goldfish will have Nitrate levels so high it will affect the fish... and that's on a cycled tank with 0 levels of Ammonia or Nitrites !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Fbt123

Yeh thats waaay too lpng without a water change. Btw carlos i wont leabe it for 5 months without cjanging water ill do it weekly

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    5 months without a water change on a small tank with a goldfish will have Nitrate levels so high it will affect the fish... and that's on a cycled tank with 0 levels of Ammonia or Nitrites !
    I guess really it depends on how many water plants you have and how much water you replace when it evaporates. I have natural tanks with plants, very few creatures, and no filtration and they can last a whole year without a water change.

Tomato Frog

I just wanted to chip in here.. your set up for the fish is okay for now, but basically you will want a 29 gal tank for your gold fish at the smallest as soon as you can get one, and I would always recommend getting a larger tank if you have the option to. As for housing goldfish with other fish from my experience you should only house them with other goldfish, koi, or shubunkin of a similar size. Some people do have luck putting them with other fish, but I would not risk it, most other fish need a heater anyways and a goldfish WILL eat any other fish small enough to fit in it's mouth. Now with water changes it really depends on tank size, amount of occupants, and if you have a proper filter, but most people do water changes of 1/4 to 1/3 of the water every 2 weeks to a month. I hope this was helpful for you, and the best of luck with your fish

- Dani

Fbt123

Once the goldfish reaches 4 inches in a few months i will put him in the pond. This is not a permanent tank that hes going into

Fbt123

Ok, goldie has gotten worse. Hes git loads more white dots on his body and tail, but u can only see them from an angle on his body. He is swimming around loads but hes got more spots which is bad

chibikaie

It's likely he has some kind of external parasite. Keep the water clean as you have been. I like to use salt dips for external parasites, but they can be tricky to execute if the fish isn't healthy to begin with or if you're not confident about the treatment. A less brutal approach is adding a small amount of salt to the water. Goldfish can easily tolerate a teaspoon per five gallons; there'll be some debate about how much more you can add.

Fbt123

Ive been adding 2 tbsp of salt evrry day and doing water changes every 2 days because im statting the nitrogen cycle

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by Fbt123 View Post
    Ive been adding 2 tbsp of salt evrry day and doing water changes every 2 days because im statting the nitrogen cycle

he has ich. try giving him saltwater baths every few days. also, warm the water a bit more, allow the water to get at least a couple of weeks old before changing it, and try getting some ich medication at the pet store.

14. This member thanks limnologist for this post:

Tomato Frog

The fish has Ich, if you aren't already using it, you need to use melafix ASAP! It's likely from you doing so many water changes, if you have been changing the water and the new water you add isn't the same temperature as the water he is in it can cause stress and stress is one of the main reasons fish get Ich, if you don't treat him soon he will die from it. Sometimes they are too far gone to help them, but you can always try. Also I would double check and make sure the doses of salt are the proper amount.. in the small bin you have him in you don't want to over salt the water.

Fbt123

It is the rifht dose. I was told to just use salt. The water is tjr same temp as well

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

**** Deleted Post Contents for Infraction****

DigitalPunk - Paul
    Last edited by DigitalPunk; November 4th, 2014 at 10:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information