Thread: From Full Fed to Too Skinny...? :(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question From Full Fed to Too Skinny...? :(

I hope I haven't already posted this here... I think I put it on one of the Facebook frog groups, but didn't receive a reply, so forgot about it until now. I'm getting ready to release our PTF house guests back into their newly improved habitat (see pics in my album) but now something is worrying me. The three frogs who came to our outdoor "micro-eco habitat" once we'd put it up (after we took in the first four I just mentioned) were looking all well fed and happy, until the last couple weeks or so. I noticed that they are looking very skinny, and I don't know if this is because the weather turned colder briefly, causing the leaf hoppers they had been feasting on to go away, or if it is because ant bait has had to be used in the apartments and the frogs might be getting poisoned ants...??? Here are some before and after pics, anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking it might be best to turn the first four out in a better place than here, I don't want to see them get all skinny like the other guys (who I've been feeding a few crickets now and again to help keep them strong). Sorry if this is a repeat post from anywhere on here...

Name:  Skinny Frogs.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  122.7 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: From Full Fed to Too Skinny...? :(

I think this is kind of normal. My PCF/PTF's were doing something similar. I was worried at one point they were getting too fat, but then they would slim down after a few days. I think they have slow metabolisms and after a healthy feeding they may take longer to digest and look a little plump. After the food works its way through their system they slim down until the next feeding. This is all just a theory I have formed from watching mine.

Although I have noticed the fluctuations are not as dramatic when they are fed mainly fruit flies compared to a cricket. In fact just today Atwater grabbed a fly that snuck in while was changing their water dish, and it fattened him up quite a bit. I'm sure he'll slim down once it gets through his system.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I posted about one of our indoor guys, known as #4, the other day and he/she was FAT, but today #4 is looking more normal. I'm wondering if (I'll just call him he since I don't know, though I'm probably wrong, lol) he was needing to shed and just looked poured into his tight skin after a big meal... like tight jeans after Thanksgiving dinner Skin looked nice and shiny and not dull though. Today he was sitting in the water dish taking a hiney soak, so never know.

It's the outdoor frogs that really have me concerned, in some of the pics their back/hip bones (?) are sticking out quite sharply and they just look scrawny I've taken to giving them the occasional cricket or two to keep up their strength, since they are fortified/gut loaded. They look a bit better afterward but I'm trying to not give them too many so they will still hunt. In fact #7 ate a couple of crickets then immediately jumped out of the jar and ate a wandering leaf hopper off the wall, so I'm glad the crickets give them the energy TO hunt. Pics (left to right) are bony #7, skinny #6 resting head on fat #5 (who had three crickets night before), #7 and 6 after having a couple crickets each, #7 after jumping out of jar to eat leaf hopper, and #6 getting ready to join #7 on the wall.

Name:  Snapshot 13 (9-5-2014 2-43 AM).png
Views: 47
Size:  202.3 KBName:  Snapshot 14 (9-5-2014 2-44 AM).png
Views: 49
Size:  327.2 KBName:  Snapshot 22 (9-5-2014 2-48 AM).png
Views: 53
Size:  318.1 KBName:  Snapshot 38 (9-5-2014 2-55 AM).png
Views: 48
Size:  296.6 KBName:  Snapshot 40 (9-5-2014 2-57 AM).png
Views: 56
Size:  308.5 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

I am having the same problem with my frog looking really skinny. I try to mix up feeding times and amounts to to make it more like it would be if she was in the wild. How often do you feed your frogs and how much? Mine usually looks like the one on the left but a little skinnier Also, does anyone know what a good size for breeding them would be?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default From Full Fed to Too Skinny...? :(

These little dudes look perfectly normal for wild froglets. The wild ones tend to use more energy than in captivity and also I've noticed when they're young their leg bones are very noticeable. I would still keep an eye on them though just in case as I am no expert here's some wild ones I've seen at work (I work in the middle of nowhere so no pesticides or anything like that)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412901737.031217.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  58.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412901783.087274.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  59.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That one on the left is what my frog usually looks like Right now she is skinny since I haven't been able to get any more caterpillars :P I am hoping to get a few more in the next couple of days and I wanted to breed them I will let everyone know how it is going after quarantine is over (which will probably we in 5 weeks or so)!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry; but myself think those frogs are either not receiving the proper nourishment or are full of parasites . Please answer the below posted questions so we can have a better idea of why they suddenly became so skinny that their bones are very visible. Thank you!

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information