Thread: Eggy Females?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Eggy Females?

I was just wondering, if a female tree frog is full of eggs, and they don't get released due to not breeding, do the eggs reabsorb?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Eggy Females?

Most of the time, yes. But very rarely they do not and the frog can become egg bound and potentially die from infection. It has happened to Gail (Kueluck)

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

4. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Eggy Females?

That's horrible! D: What kind of frog did she have it happen to? I took some pics last night of one of my PTF friends (sex unknown) who is looking remarkably plump. I feed when all three frogs (in one long 20 gal reptile tank) are out and looking expectant, which happens to be every 2-3 days (I fed them Thurs night). I drop 2-3 crickets per frog all at once into the tank at opposite areas to where the frogs are sitting, then watch them go into hunt and glomb mode. I'm wondering if this one got more than his/her fair share or what... I was trying to read up on bloat but froggy seems perfectly normal other then that. The temps have been dropping a bit more inside (air conditioned apartment/getting cooler at night outside) and the humidity has dropped so I've misted more... I was just hoping some sort of reverse cycle thing hasn't started and the frog is full of eggs instead of crickets. Is that even possible to happen? I have had no one make any kind of call at all since we've had them, and these guys in the wild have a land call, "crrrrk", and I haven't heard a thing, so I'm assuming all are girls, possibly. I'll post some pics here in a sec. (Temps have been between 72-77 and humidity averages in the mid 50%s; temps last few days have been 72-73 and humidity dropped to 40%s, except for when I mist. Water is double filtered spring water, food is gut loaded crickets raised on constant feeding of regular cheerios and wheat germ- smalls which are growing into mediums, so I give less at a feeding.) Current temp was 70F and humidity was 40% so I missed and watered the plants and it's up to 60%, I adjusted the AC so it won't go under 72F, hopefully (less than this is too cold for my African violets liking).

Name:  DSC00217.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  151.7 KBName:  DSC00219.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  140.5 KBName:  DSC00224.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  144.7 KBName:  DSC00179--2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  138.7 KBName:  DSC00173--2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  158.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Eggy Females?

I think it was a Fowler's toad

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Eggy Females?

She is looking rather plump. Try taking her out to feed and make sure all get the same amount of food and see if she starts getting back to normal weight. If she has eggs there is really nothing you can do besides introducing a properly quarantined male into the mix. The chances of getting egg bound are very small as i have only heard about it twice. I still like to inform people about it

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Eggy Females?

I've never handled these guys at all since I brought them inside in mid-July during our week long heat wave (we've continued to have totally unusual amounts of 90+ degree weather here this year, in an area that averages mid-upper 80's in the summer at best) so don't know about taking her out (handling her, not taking her outside yet)... unless there's some way I can do so without stressing her. I might be able to use a bamboo skewer (blunt end of course) to herd her away from the others and then drop crickets in front of them individually. I sure hope she hasn't gone all eggy. I have no idea about males as these are wild frogs and going to be returned outdoors. I was hoping to regulate the temps more before returning them, was getting close, but now it's even colder in here and today will be almost 100 outside! D: was trying to maintain 77 indoors and get them out when the temps were more consistently the same outdoors, although lately it's been much colder outside at night than it ever gets indoors here. They should be able to tolerate the cold much better than the heat though :/
    Last edited by irThumper; September 6th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information