Thread: HELP! Should I be concerned with these marks on my frog?

JoeMichaelBolona

Default HELP! Should I be concerned with these marks on my frog?

Name:  IMG_1989[1].jpg
Views: 684
Size:  72.1 KB
    My frog has these marks on his face. I just got him two weeks ago and it almost looks like injuries by I wanted to just make sure it wasn't something that could spread to my other frogs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: HELP! Should I be concerned with these marks on my frog?

it looks like a infection...but i wouldnt know what to do...maybe some of the other guys on here will...good luck with ur frog..hope all goes well

JoeMichaelBolona

really need some adive... i know i should treat these injuries but im not sure what use and they look like they are getting worse...
    Name:  IMG_1991[1].jpg
Views: 657
Size:  67.9 KB

JoeMichaelBolona

it looks like exposed bone :/

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Im so sorry, i havent seen your thread.

please answer to the questions below

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure” The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure?

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences?

3. Humidity?

4. Temperature?

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish?

6. Materials used for substrate?

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv?

8. Main food source?

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often?)

10. Lighting?

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure?

12. When is the last time he/she ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats?

20. How often the frog is handled?

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

But what you need to do asap is to get flamazine ( silver sulfadiazine cream) and apply to the wounds 2-3 times daily.
    Quarantine enclosure is a must- wet papertowels, changed daily, plastic plant to create a hide of sorts, all 4 sides should be covered with smth to create as stress free environment as possible. Temp / humidity as usual.

If you cant find flamazine you can use any antibiotic cream without painkillers. Watch the guy, if no better within 5-7 days or getting worse you will need to go to a vet for systemic antibiotics.

Please answer the the questions i posted, because you will need to fix whatever caused this. Most likely stress, they jump on a walls or lid in severe stress situations. But we'll see, may be it is smth different.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry we missed your initial call for help . Need to follow Lija's advice ASAP. Other options if can't find the Flamazine are other silver based antibiotics with no painkillers; plain Neosporin; Sulfanilamide powder; and Enrofloxacin (Baytril). Good luck and hope it gets better !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

JoeMichaelBolona

Thank you guys so much! I already put him in a separate container and applied some neosporin!
    1. 20 gallon
    2. only in his cage
    3. ranging from 60-80
    4. ranges from 75-85
    5. filtered
    6. coconut fiber
    7. fake plants
    8. nightcrawlers
    9. every other meal
    10. just a heat bulb, low wattage
    11. the heat bulb
    12. today
    13. yesterday
    14. have a couple up already
    15. only the marks, seems perfectly healthy otherwise
    16. around 7 months
    17. a little over two weeks
    18. wild caught
    19. very diverse, feed rats about every other month
    20. only when cleaning
    21. low traffic
    22. water changed every other day unless he went to the bathroom.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Can you pls post pics of the enclosure, does it have 3 sides coveted? How big is he?

Things to fix asap - water! Get water conditioner ( any from fish supply shelfs or spec exotic ones, i use prime.) use it for any water for your guy, just regular tap and water treatment.

You havent specified supplements- do you use any?
    More qs - when you got him 2 weeks ago was he injured already or it happened recently?

You've got some good advice from other members, I'll just add on to what they've told you.
    I agree that the initial injury is a nose rub caused by the frog repeated hitting its face on the glass in an attempt to escape the cage. It does look infected, but the second photo you posted actually looks like it's starting to heal.

1. If you haven't already done so, make sure to black out all four sides of the enclosure. If he can see out or see his reflection he will continue to rub the nose.
    2. If you are using neosporin you can only use it for 3-5 days at most. The antibacterial properties will actually inhibit good bacteria growth in the wounds. So you will need to discontinue neosporin in order to allow for the growth of healthy granulation tissue.
    3. Siver Sulfadiazine cream is your best friend. I would suggest that any pet owner keep some in the house for treating small wounds. The trick with silver sulfadiazine (SSD) is that you can only use a very fine layer of it. If you really gunk it on you will be inhibiting healing.
    4. Amphibian skin is not mammal skin. Keep this in mind, because as it heals it will not look like wounds that you are used to seeing. The dead tissue will eventually debride away and the healthy new tissue will look very raw and bloody. Bloody-looking is good! That means it is healing. You want to prevent the wound from drying out, so make sure you are applying ointment at least twice a day.

Post a photo of his healing progress for us each day if you can. Amphibians typically heal quickly if they are kept warm. You should see improvement within a couple days. If something changes or if the topical treatment isn't working you need to take him to a vet.

Good luck!

JoeMichaelBolona

Thank you guys so much! I just use a normal calcium powder and dust crickets every time I feed crickets. And yes I believe he had a small injury when I got him but he definitely injured himself more in his tank. The tank does have all sides covered and he is now just over 6 inches ill post pictures every day from here on out to let you guys see if the injuries are healing properly

Thread Information