Thread: Green American Tree Frog Help

kelseyqt

Default Green American Tree Frog Help

Hi,

I have (what I believe to be) four green American tree frogs that were given to me by a friend. They are still babies and I want to make sure that I'm caring for them correctly. I've had them for about two weeks and have been feeding them dead fruit flies that I capture from my worm bins. I feed them using a toothpick. A couple days ago I bought a reptile calcium powder and have dusted the fruit flies twice. I know they probably need a multivitamin as well. What would you recommend and how often for babies? Also, one of them seems to be sick. He is much smaller than the others and stays on the ground instead of at the top of the tank. He also doesn't want to eat, is sluggish and has turned brown. I've tried giving him a pedialyte bath, but he hops out of it. Instead I poured pedialyte on him directly a few times a day and the next day he did seem better and even ate three fruit flies (with calcium powder). Today he only ate one and he seems sluggish again. Any suggestions? Could it be calcium absorption? Does the tank need a UVA/UVB light for them to be healthiest? I took him out to the sun for 15 minutes yesterday (with shade optional of course) and a couple of them did sun bathe. Could this be the problem? Additionally, one of the other tree frogs has turned brown, but he seems to be in good health otherwise. Is there a reason that they turn brown?

Thank You!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green American Tree Frog Help

Hi! Welcome to the frog forum!!

Frogs should only be fed live food and that food should never be wild caught. Pet stores usually sell flightless livefruit flies and/or pinhead sized crickets. Both of which should be small enough for the frogs.

The toothpick becomes unnecessary after that but you should be using blunt forceps to feed the frogs OR you can try bowl feeding. Get a small glass bowl and put the dusted feeders inside. Unfortunately the fruit flies can climb up the glass and escape. The crickets, however, cannot scale the surface and are usually not smart enough to jump.

Babies and Juveniles must be fed EVERY DAY

Calcium powder should be used three times a week and multivitamin powder once a week

How big is the size difference between the sick frog and the others? They may be bullying and/or intimidating him into not eating

try using a low, escape proof container filled no higher than the frogs chin with the pedialyte solution. It should be low enough that the frog cannot stay on the glass, but not too constricting. Escape proof but with proper ventilation

They do not require UVA/UVB exposure although some do argue that it improves color and behavior.

you should not be transporting or handling the frogs any more than is absolutely necessary. This stresses the frogs a great deal.

the frogs turn brown for different reasons including humidity and temperature i would not worry if the frog turns brown.

Finally, the frogs should be kept in a quarantine enclosure for 3-4 weeks before being placed in their permanent home. The setup of the quarantine tank should include:
    -damp unprinted paper towels as substrate.
    -a water dish that should not be filled higher than the frog's chin.
    -a place to hide
    -a few things for them to climb.

here is a care sheet as well. GOOD LUCK! The basic care of the green tree frog

whoops almost forgot. PICS! They are important. Both of the sick frog and the enclosure please

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green American Tree Frog Help

Hello and welcome to FF Kelsey ! Eli's recommendation on feeding and to move frogs to a quarantine type set-up is very important. Feeders should be same size as distance between frog's eyes or smaller. Crickets should be gut loaded with carrots, lettuce, and cherios 24-48 hours before feeding frogs. Feed at night after frogs become active and remove all uneaten crickets following morning. Training frogs to feed from a small glass bowl will keep crickets there and the dust supplement will remain on feeders longer.

Here is some more info on their care: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...a-cinerea.html and the use of supplements: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

What water are you currently using? Recommend treating your water source with Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information