Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So lost... my new toads are dead :(

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: So lost... my new toads are dead :(

New hygrometer is already ordered It should be here tomorrow, actually.

If I see any issues, I plan to get a very small critter keeper and actually keep it inside the viv. That way humidity will remain somewhat constant.

I should be clear; if they send me new toads, it is on the condition that I place them directly into appropriate housing, aka the viv I sent pictures of. I don't intend to lie to the company. If they are willing to send me new toads, I will do what I said I'd do and place them into the tank.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I should be clear too and i will summarize what we were talking here.
    - You came here to figure out why you lost your frogs and asking to help you to point things so if you ever get more frogs they wont go the same route.
    - lots of knowledgeable people responded giving you an excellent advise and pointed what exactly was a problem and what you need to do
    - you disregarded most of what you've been told and tried to defend why were you were doing the way you were.

Naturally certain questions are coming up.....

Now , yes it most likely was your fault frogs died, yes you should have done things differently and yes stuff happens and that is how we learn sometimes. It has happened to everyone here, me included, nobody's blaming you for that.

The problem though that you are planning on carry on doing what you please despite the advise you were given. And yes you quarantine newly purchased frogs. There is a proper protocol of doing so, that you were advised on.

Now m. Marinum. If the data you are talking about came from your vet, you need to change a vet, but you may do as you please of course.
    But it will survive well past 30 days and no there are no disinfectants that kills it with 100% guarantee.
    Just fyi there are multiple cases reported of m marinum isolated in bearded dragons, snakes, other species and humans. One of the cases that come to mind right now was bearded dragons were kept in old fish tanks that were not in use for 10 years.

So Ill repeat again, it is zoonotic bacteria, one of the most resistant ones, if it was diagnosed, you need to properly dispose everything that was in contact by burning it before throwing it away to minimize environmental risks of releasing in a landfills and further on, as well as health risks of workers who may come into contact with it.
    It is dangerous for you too, granted most cases in human are presenting as very difficult to treat skin granulomas,but it can be worse be then that. Your sources of information were obviously mistaken.

I hope you think about and carry with dealing with it, if not for your frog health but for your own and those around you.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Lija, the only advice I have disregarded was to throw out everything that has come in contact with my fish tanks. (this would include all but two of my fish tanks as well.) One thing I am 100% certain of is that what killed my fish is not what killed my toads. Not that it will put your mind at ease any more, but I handled the outbreak of likely mycobacterium as instructed by three parties, including but not limited to my aquatic vet, and including the top researches on the bacteria itself.

Everything that has been said about the toad death has been taken to heart. I'm sorry you feel that it hasn't, but it's just not true. The consensus seems to be that it was a humidity issue, possibly compounded by the use of straight RO water (which I am still unclear on. my tap water is unsuitable for amphibians and no one has really said what I need to do to the RO water before adding it to the viv unless I missed a post somewhere in there). I can deal with that and make adjustments for any new toads. However, as I said, Josh's frogs is ONLY willing to send me new toads on the condition that I add them directly to the viv (which has been fairly stable through the wild humidity swings we've been having in my area). So, if they determine that my viv is suitable for the toads, and if they decide to replace the ones I lost with that stipulation, there isn't much I can do about it. Any new additions after that will be quarantined in a tub inside the viv. That is the best I can do in the circumstances.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information