Thread: Where To Buy Nightcrawlers?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile Where To Buy Nightcrawlers?

I am interested in buying some night crawlers . You can't use live bait fishing in freshwater here. No one here in Juneau sells them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fbt123

Default Re: Where To Buy Nightcrawlers?

You can buy some online

Can you find worms for vermicomposting for sale in Alaska? Red Wrigglers, Eisenia fetida, are a standard composting worm and also work for frog food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Can you find worms for vermicomposting for sale in Alaska? Red Wrigglers, Eisenia fetida, are a standard composting worm and also work for frog food.
    Red Wrigglers work OK for aquatic frogs; but most terrestrial ones are put off by the foul tasting slime they make to the point of some frogs rejecting any earthworms later. Canadian or European Night Crawlers are a much better choice as feeders Brian .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Red Wrigglers work OK for aquatic frogs; but most terrestrial ones are put off by the foul tasting slime they make to the point of some frogs rejecting any earthworms later. Canadian or European Night Crawlers are a much better choice as feeders Brian .
    Seems frog dependent to me, I do have a tree frog that goes at Red Wrigglers like he's got a vendetta against them.

Which raises the question, AKFROG, what species of frog are you looking to feed?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Smile Re: Where To Buy Nightcrawlers?

I have a 3 inch Horned Frog. We have earthworms here but I would be concerned about parasites. Can't buy any worms here.

For what it's worth, earthworms are often on peoples 'safe' wild caught food lists so I've always assumed they're low on parasites that can affect amphibians but don't know for sure. For example http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ght-foods.html and FEEDERS: Collecting Earthworms - Â*BambooZoo. I've also used wild caught night crawlers for years with no issues (with treefrogs, I've no experience with horned frogs). Make sure you're collecting from a chemical free area though if you go this route.

These people are located in Alaska and sell Red Wrigglers (though they don't give the scientific name but Eisenia fetida are the usual suspects for composting): Buy Worms And Bins » Worms And Stuff so shipping would likely be cheaper than ordering some version of night crawler from the lower states. But do take Carlos' post into consideration if you opt to try Red Wrigglers.

Nationality
    [United States]

Earthworms do carry amphibian parasites. They can sometimes be found in the soil where the worm lives. Of course once the worm eats the soil it also ingests the parasite's eggs which they become larvae within the worm and once eaten by the true host they become adults and breed. Even store bought worms can contain them depending on the source of the worms. Parasites are literlly everywhere and are encountered everyday, but most of the time the body destroys them before they can become a threat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    If swallowed whole they don't get a chance to secrete their defense. As long as the frog is large enough to swallow Red Wigglers whole they will not rejects them.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I made the mistake of buying some Red Wrigglers from Petco here in Juneau. That's before I found out they taste bad to Horned Frogs. I'll check out various places on the computer that sell Night Crawlers.

Thread Information