Thread: Pacman Frog not eating, please help

jtrstars

Default Pacman Frog not eating, please help

I had had posted before asking for feeding help, I thought it was him just being picky but it seem to got worse. I started to give Namco crickets again and he like them for only a week, now he stop eating in general. I currently have three crickets in his cage thinking he may not like the large metal tweezers. but that doesn't seem to be the case. I checked for impactions many times never finding one, but i do let him swim in the warm water for a bit cause he seem to like it. If you can help with the eating issue please help. The other issue is my frog eyes get shut by thick mucus layers. Sometimes he can open them on his own but other times i have to help him. Yes i do wash my hands before and after handling him. All suggestions are welcomed. I only had Namco for five months and I would wish to share a friendship with my frog for years to come.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman Frog not eating, please help

Please answer these questions so we can help you better and please post pic of a frog, his eyes and his tank
    thank you
    “Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

... Awaiting answers
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

jtrstars

Name:  IMG_0487.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  94.4 KBName:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  101.1 KBName:  IMG_0488.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  86.8 KB10 gallons
    1 frog
    I in Florida an the outside humindity is always above 50 and i mist him daily
    room temp. 70 to 80
    tap with water conditioner
    frog moss
    live succulents with a well cleaned stick
    crickets
    calcium samples which ran out a while ago.
    natural light from window
    misting, water, house temp
    few days but I posted this before and the night after he ate.
    no
    really skinny, and eyes have mucus on then
    6 months
    5 months
    captive
    meal worms, night crawlers
    a lot recently to get him in a baths(thinking he had an impaction)
    in my room next to my bed
    I mist him daily, change his water when it dirty or dry, leave him crickets at night
    I can try to get picture in a bit. Sorry for taking a while to respond, I went on a trip with my family, this is more so why I was worry. My frog did make through. I had a person to care for him, but I think she only cared for my cat and not my frog cause the tank was very dry.
    Last edited by jtrstars; September 1st, 2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added Pictues

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay... Let's start fresh

Take everything out of his house and rinse it out. Dry the tank. There should not be any loose moss, rocks, pebbles or anything he can accidentally swallow when eating. It should be simple... Tank, coconut fiber substrate or plain unfertilized plantation soil, a water bowl no deeper than his chin, a thermometer, a hygrometer to measure the humidity in the tank, and a spray bottle. See also below...

Use only dechlorinated water. Never just tap water. You can buy dechlorinating solution from the amphibian or fish section of a pet store. Tap water can have chlorine and chloramines in it, which is toxic to frogs. He will eventually develop tox-out syndrome from the build up of chemicals absorbed. Use only dechlorinated water for soaking bowl water and for moistening the substrate.

You can use coconut fiber (not husk) for substrate. It should be moist but not soaking wet.

The humidity in his tank should be 75-80% by misting. You'll likely have to do this twice a day. For misting, do not use plain tap water. Use either dechlorinated water or distilled water. Never use distilled water for substrate or for soaking bowl.

Change his water bowl water with dechlorinated everyday. This is how they drink. It's easiest to use an empty gallon water jug to make up a gallon of dechlorinated water at a time.

Get a nice cave for your frog to hide in.

Cover the back and two sides of his tank with some sort of background so he feels safe.

Do not feed mealworms, they can cause intestinal impaction. Use crickets, small Dubia roaches or cut pieces of earthworms or night crawlers from a clean, chemical-free source. Food should be no larger than the distance between their eyes.

His tank temp should be 80'F. You can let it drop to 78'F at night.

You'll need the supplements.

Your frog is likely dehydrated. Give him a nice 80'F temp dechlorinated water soak tonight for about a half an hour. He can stay in longer if he likes.

Can you link some new photos?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

jtrstars

From the sound of it I am doing most of it right. I do put water conditioner in his water for both the spray bottle and the water bowl. I will try the gallon of water because it seems wasteful to fill every dish with new drops. I still got school so I will try my best to mist his two times a day. My family is on a limited budget but I will try to get a cover, wall covers, and calcium supplement (he stop eating after the sample packets I got from the pet store during costumer appreciation week.) Is the flooring safe? cause I was tweezers feeding him but he stop liking that and he wont eat when I bath him. Thank you for your help, he did eat last night which is good and a sign of improvement.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You need to feed your crickets several days before you feed them to your frog. I feed the crickets I feed to my Horned Frog, carrots, sweet potato, romaine lettuce, apple and Gut Load Cricket & Insect Food.

jtrstars

Yes I do that, I leave a carrot in the cricket pen and in Namco's tank. I sometimes joke I have a pet carrot cause it does almost as much as my frog.

Thread Information