Thread: When to introduce crickets to FBT?

skottiesgerl

Default When to introduce crickets to FBT?

Hello I am new and did a small search and was not able to find the specific answer to this question. Purchased our new baby FBT last night for our 8 year old son. Asked about food I was told meal worms and crickets but I should not worry with crickets yet because the one I purchased would have a hard time eating them because he or she was very small at this point. (Since I was given other bad advice by this store associate i thought I would ask here.) I have a pic of my baby and tank (forgive the gravel learned its a nono as well also forgive lack of decor wanted to start out simple and add on instead of going over board at first as I always tend to do. this is a work in progress...Anyway back to my question. I only purchased meal worms last night due to size of FBT and advice. If they are incorrect do you believe it would be good to purchase and feed crickets now or if he is correct how long should I wait to introduce crickets into the diet and what other food could I feed other than meal worms... I know I would not want to eat one food daily....

thanks
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  124.2 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  108.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: When to introduce crickets to FBT?

No meal worms. Get crickets no bigger than the space between his eyes. Get rid of the gravel, he can/will eat it by accident and get impacted.

Here is a care sheet for you - Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

skottiesgerl

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    No meal worms. Get crickets no bigger than the space between his eyes. Get rid of the gravel, he can/will eat it by accident and get impacted.

Here is a care sheet for you - Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives
    Thank you for the care sheet. I did read it a little earlier before posting but must have skimmed over the size of the food but it mentions meal worms as food source for them Can you tell me why you think I should not feed them meal worms? Just curious. and yes my first stop after work is to purchase a different rock source..... Just upset i spent 16.00 on 25 lbs of gravel!!! But live and learn

thanks again

skottiesgerl

Never mind... was reading other posts and threads and found the answer to meal worm question... hard to digest and not very nutritionous. Well now I am on a hunt to find crickets that small... yikes... and the dust.

Should have read more before asking.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Call around a few pet stores and see what they have or order online
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

skottiesgerl

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Call around a few pet stores and see what they have or order online
    I did find some tiny crickets and the dust. took them home dusted and put 3 in the tank. I am noticing something odd.... he or she grabs one in his mouth starts to eat it and then spits it out. Once it is dead he has no interest in it. I thought maybe it was a one time thing because I know Pet Smart was feeding them meal worms but he or she is also doing that with her meal worms. (I am doing the ween off thing from meal worms to crickets) Does this seem odd behavior? He or she chases the cricket attacks the cricket takes one chomp and hand push into mouth then drops it and has no interest in it any more also did it this morning?

skottiesgerl

Quote Originally Posted by skottiesgerl View Post
    I did find some tiny crickets and the dust. took them home dusted and put 3 in the tank. I am noticing something odd.... he or she grabs one in his mouth starts to eat it and then spits it out. Once it is dead he has no interest in it. I thought maybe it was a one time thing because I know Pet Smart was feeding them meal worms but he or she is also doing that with her meal worms. (I am doing the ween off thing from meal worms to crickets) Does this seem odd behavior? He or she chases the cricket attacks the cricket takes one chomp and hand push into mouth then drops it and has no interest in it any more also did it this morning?
    Anyone??

Thread Information