Thread: Juvenile pacman frog wont eat.

3dd0576

Default Juvenile pacman frog wont eat.

I had this pacman frog for a few months and he has always ate fine but for some reason since a few days ago he refused to eat. i have the humidity and temp where it is supposed to be so what else could be the cause?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Juvenile pacman frog wont eat.

Hello and welcome to FF! It's impossible to tell if there is an issue and ID it without more information. Please answer the following questions and we will try to narrow down any problems. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

3dd0576

the encloser is about 2 feet long and one and a half feet wide
    he has no inhabitants
    I keep the humidity around 80%
    its usually between 70 and 76
    the water is tap water but I put stuff in it that the guy i got it from said to use
    eco earth coco fiber
    his bowl and a fake plant
    I only fed him crickets since i got him
    the guy never mentioned that. could it be the problem?
    he doesnt have lighting
    there is nothing being used because the dirt is at a good temperature and I dont want to make it any hotter. I have a heat pad though if it gets cold
    about a week ago since he stopped eating
    6 days ago but never since
    I will try to barrow someones camera because the one on my phone doesnt work
    he looks no different than normal, he just isn't eating
    I don't know his exact age but I had him since april and he was a bit wider that a inch when I got him
    since april and this is the first problem i've had
    captive bred
    I feed him every day, I only give him crickets because the guy said the feed him that until he is big enough for pinky mice
    the only time I handle the frog is when I am cleaning its cage, moving it to a new cage, or taking it out of the substrate for feeding
    low
    I clean the cage once every 2 months and the water bowl is cleaned when he gets dirt in it and spray it down regularly for humidity.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Juvenile pacman frog wont eat.

Im not a pacman expert but I'll try to help.

The enclosure is too big for a Juvenile. They can get scared by a big cage. I'm not sure though that you should move him now as that might do more harm than good

I believe the ambient temps for pacmans are 75-85 degrees

The stuff that you use is a declorinator right?

Earthworms/night crawlers are the best staple for pacman frogs. For babies and juveniles they should be cut to mouth size. You must make sure they are dye and chemical free though.

Especially now, calcium and vitamin powder are essential. The poor little guy can develop bone diseases like MBD without calcium. Dust with a calcium+vitamin d3 powder every other feeding and a multivitamin once or twice a week.

Lighting is very beneficial to them. They are nocturnal and a 12 hour photoperiod is necessary so that they know when to rest and wake up.

Heat pads are not the best way to maintain temps, even if they are not always on. The frog burrows in order to stay cool and the heat pad may burn him

When the frog is old enough for pinky mice, they should only be offered as an occasional treat. Once a month at the most.

As for why he is not eating. It may be a number of the causes above. Hopefully an expert will chime in. Check for signs of impaction. Are there any lumps on his stomach?

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Asad Malik

Do you drop crickets in your cage very second day, you may not know, but they eat during the night mostly, basically they don't really eat in front of people, specially juveniles

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    There are quite a few things that need to be addressed.

Tank - that size is a frog? Tank is too big, but need to see a frog and its tank pic to advise further.

Humidity, 80 is max you can go, you need to keep it 70-80, i like to keep it at 75, yours is ok.

temps, way way too low and most likely that is what causes most problems here. You have to have 76-78 night and 80-82 day.

food and supplements. You have to get ca with vit d3 and use it 2xweek and once a week multivitamin powder. May need adjusting depending on the state of a frog now and its size too. He also needs variety of food items and better food then crickets. Nightcrawlers are the best staple.

Cleaning... That is a problem too, and i need to see a frog to advise if anything more need to be done.
    You need to fully change substrate every month and change water every day.

Water - please clarify the "stuff the guy said to use".
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

3dd0576

I dont know what the problem was but I put some crickets in his cage today and he ate them. I will be getting calcium dust and a heat lamp for him though. thank you guys for helping me out.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You are welcome, but there are more things to be done other then ca dust and heat lamp. Temp needs ti be fixed asap, you risk serious heath problems if a frog exposed to cold temps like yours.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

3dd0576

doesnt a heat lamp make it warmer?

Member needs to set country!

Pacman frogs are in looks wise to gentle but when someone to interrupt them they react do horror with their tongues attacks. If to hold the attack of the pacman frogs then smart paper to cover the tongue of the frog and save to that reactions.

Nationality
    [United States]

It was said before above, but I would like to say it again. It is very important to change the water more frequently. Every day is optimal. Your frog is most likely going to defecate and urinate in the water. This might be part of the problem.

Thread Information