Thread: Toad Hybridization info?

Default Toad Hybridization info?

This may be kind of a strange first post, but I am very curious! Recently I've developed a very strong interest in frogs/toads and have subsequently been doing a lot of research online. I've never had a pet, and hope to perhaps some time in the future raise my own toads. Also I'll be going to college soon and have not decided at all what I will be studying. Just recently learned about herpetology... Maybe this sudden interest has been divinely timed haha

Anyways, I'll get to the point. I know there are a few common successsful toad hybrids such as the American x Fowler's and the American x Woodhouse's, but I have found less information on other toad hybrids. It seems like there should be a compiled list of toad hybrids somewhere, with information on fertility / possible defects. Does anyone know if something like this exists somewhere?

I'd also like to know more about toad hybridization in general. For example, do naturally occurring hybrids ever have advantages over their parents? Disease resistance, growth rates, stamina, etc....

Is this a field that is in need of further research??

Of course, I'm not asking about the ethics about captive hybridization for personal enjoyment. I hear that is highly subjective

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toad Hybridization info?

Hello and welcome to FF! You will need to search the internet "edu" or educational section for research papers in those areas to answer such specific questions. Once in college with access to their library will probably find it lot's easier, since much of what you find are abstracts and the cost to access a few pages paper might be quite high. If interested in our toads might want to read "Frogs of the United States and Canada" by C.Kenneth Dodd Jr. It's a two volume set and considered the foremost on the subject. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Default Re: Toad Hybridization info?

Thank you, I'll check it out!

6. This member thanks odinolav for this post:

Thread Information