Thread: American Toad stowaway

DogStar

Default American Toad stowaway

Hey there, I recently returned from a camping trip in Michigan to find a little American Toad stowed away in my camping gear! I did a basic amount of research and have him in a 10 gallon tank with about 2 inches of the Eco Earth coconut fiber substrate. I have about 1/3 of the tank with long fiber sphagnum moss and a water dish for a moist area as well as various hides. I've been putting in crickets periodically and while I haven't seen him catch one they seem to be disappearing steadily. My questions are am I suppose to just keep putting crickets in ever other day as they disappear or should I take him out and put him in another container to feed? Also as far as handling is that a strict don't touch him policy with toads? He seems a little frightened but will stay in my hand without trying to escape.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: American Toad stowaway

Hello and welcome to FF! Please read this article, it will help care for your toad: Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates.

All water should be dechlorinated (Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize); water dish should be washed in hot water and refilled daily. Substrate should be mixed with dechlorinated water until it clumps in fist without dripping water out. Get rid of sphagnum moss; it's an impaction hazard should toad ingest some when catching food. Mist enclosure lightly once a day to prevent substrate from drying out.

Crickets should be gut loaded with carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal for 24-48 hours before feeding toad. They should be same or smaller than distance between toads eyes. Not-dyed night crawlers (Walmart or local bait shop) are a great staple food. Can cut with scissors from pointy end same as toad length if a small toadlet. Will need to add food supplements, more of that in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Toads are shy animals and should not be handled. Recommend cover sides and back with aquarium background or any paper you like to help reduce stress. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the forum DogStar!

Carlos has given you some good information. I would also like to add that if you do plan to keep him as a pet long tern you may want to consider having him tested for parasites. If you do not plan to keep him than I would recommend releasing him as soon as possible as close to where he came from as possible.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, so first let me tell you my sources, first, I have a TON of expierence with these cute little toads, and have written a website, (How to keep toads | An amazing site to tell all you toad lovers how to keep them as pets!) and have taught others how to keep them.

With that over, put in another inch or so of dirt if the toad is fully grown (about 2 inches, three or four will mean that it is female) be sure that you take of the legs of the crickets as this will cause a long horrible death for your little guy, be sure to use DECLORINATED water, and the hides are a GREAT idea. Feed him worms also, feed him crickets, then a worm or two, to help him digest the crickets. I always take my toads out of the aqarium and feed them, just because I like watching them eat, and it makes it easier. Go to my website to get other ideas. How to keep toads | An amazing site to tell all you toad lovers how to keep them as pets!
    Please visit my site at www.byebyequestions.wordpress.com

Please friend me.

Please "like" my post.

Take care of God's creations.

My profile picture was a fund raiser, I do not get my nails done.

My toads-Beth, Lily, and Princess.

My Rabbit-Speckals

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DIDITHEDAD View Post
    ... be sure that you take of the legs of the crickets as this will cause a long horrible death for your little guy...
    How does the rear legs of properly sized (same or smaller than distance between toad's eyes) crickets cause a "long horrible death" to the toad? I've never come across a statement like that before. Thank you !

Nationality
    [United States]

They can cause sort of a "bomb" in the toads belly, which will explode and could cause horrible pain and death if it happens to often. Also, the sharp edges on the legs could slice the throat. It causes a long horrible death because imagine if you had something growing in you, the would be horrible, would it not?

And please check out my website, How to keep toads | An amazing site to tell all you toad lovers how to keep them as pets!, a few other GREAT websites are posted on their.

My favorite is Toadily Toads - the place on the web dedicated to toads. Toad care, toad information, bufo americanus care, bufo marinus information and more. Toad gifts specific for toad lovers. Plus global amphibian crisis information..

Please friend me.

Please "like" my post.

My Rabbit-Speckals

Nationality
    [United States]

Cricket legs exploding? Never heard that. I find that the few times i have decided to remove the legs that the cricket doesn't move as much and thus my toads just kinda ignore them :/. I'm sure that the legs can slice the throat if they are sharp enough but the chance is very small. I have given crickets with legs to every species i have ever kept and never had a problem.

However, if you are worried about the legs, try freshly molted crickets. They are easier to digest and they still move like the normal crickets

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

If you do some research you will find that it is bad to feed them the legs, so I never do, and tell people not to because I don't wanna be responsible.

BTW, I now have 2 bull frogs, and a few toads!

Please friend me.

Please "like" my post.

My Rabbit-Speckals

If you do some research you will find that it is bad to feed them the legs, so I never do, and tell people not to because I don't wanna be responsible.

BTW, I now have 2 bull frogs, and a few toads!
    So you have done the research on cricket legs and cricket bombs? Would you mind providing the information here so that the members may see? I know I, for one, and a few of the members here who are herpetologists and entomologists would like to see it as well. Thanks

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, so first I have done research when I first had my toads, about 50% of the websites said that it was not a good idea to feed a toad crickets WITH their legs on, since the percentage was that large I have always told people NOT to feed toads (or any frogs) crickets with their legs intact. I just believe that it is better if you DON'T risk something like that, make sense?

Please friend me.

Please "like" my post.

My Rabbit-Speckals

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, but saying the legs explode in the stomach.... where did you read that?
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Okay, so first I have done research when I first had my toads, about 50% of the websites said that it was not a good idea to feed a toad crickets WITH their legs on, since the percentage was that large I have always told people NOT to feed toads (or any frogs) crickets with their legs intact. I just believe that it is better if you DON'T risk something like that, make sense?

Sorry, but this is not an answer. You claim to have TONS of experience and say you did so much research. All I am asking is that you provide the information. I do not think that is so much to ask. And good researcher has no issue backing up their statements with facts.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

You guys haven't heard? Crickets have dynamite on their legs.

Austin, no it does not make sense. Because it is not true. I would also like to know where you ead this at.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Austin, i dont even want to argue with all that nonsense... That is counterproductive and pointless. If you have something to advise that is always welcome. Everyone, even the most experienced keepers, breeders and veterinarians around here cant possibly know everything, thus all new information is always welcome, however be ready to provide the source of that information and scientific data if needed.
    I guess cricket bombs are gonna be a new joke around here lol

dogstar, welcome to the forum! It is always interesting how animals find their way first in our homes and then to our hearts. Thank you for caring for this little guy. Carlos gave you an excellent advise, any questions feel free to ask.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

They can cause sort of a "bomb" in the toads belly, which will explode and could cause horrible pain and death if it happens to often. Also, the sharp edges on the legs could slice the throat. It causes a long horrible death because imagine if you had something growing in you, the would be horrible, would it not?

And please check out my website, How to keep toads | An amazing site to tell all you toad lovers how to keep them as pets!, a few other GREAT websites are posted on their.

My favorite is Toadily Toads - the place on the web dedicated to toads. Toad care, toad information, bufo americanus care, bufo marinus information and more. Toad gifts specific for toad lovers. Plus global amphibian crisis information..
    Hello Austin! Well, sorry but that story on exploding cricket legs is so far fetched that I'm not going to discuss it further. Understand you have a website and you are trying to promote it; but posting unverified alarmist information at FF is probably going to work against you. Please, until you gather scientific data on how cricket legs can harm a toad digestive system, try and avoid alarming FF new members with such inaccuracies. Thank you !

Nationality
    [United States]

Once again, and for the last time (sorry, that sounded kinda mean, but I couldn't think of another way to word it ) I will say this, I have researched it, and nearly 50% of the sites I looked said that it COULD be dangerous to feed a toad/frog a cricket WITH exploding legs. (lol) So I just advise people not to feed their pets crickets with the legs. Please accept my apology and let me continue to post on this site, and let this incident NOT turn into something that will shut down the site. Thanks, and I will, just for reasons, stop posting on this forum (Not the others, just this one...for now)

Please friend me.

Please "like" my post.

My Rabbit-Speckals

DogStar

Well that escalated quickly :P. Thanks for all the good info! Little guy seems to be doing well. One more question. I know that if he were still out in the wild it would be getting pretty cold around this time and I know these toad usually burrow down in the winter. As a captive toad during the winter should I feed him less or adjust anything? My apartment does tend to be on the colder side in the winter (60-70 F).

Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, is it weird that I was rereading this thread and had no idea someone was posting? LOL!

Sorry that your welcome became turbulent like this . It's not like this all the time, trust me.

your toad shouldn't have to hibernate unless cycling for breeding. Something I assume you are not doing at the moment. If it starts to get chilly, he/she may become less active and eat less, but should not shut down entirely. I really would not change maintainence especially if toad is young. If he is not hungry he will let you know. Good luck!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Thread Information