Thread: please help me with my adf

Samantha Jane

Default please help me with my adf

I think that something Is wrong with my adf... he has gotten reddish on his legs and arms on the under side and keeps climbing the edge of the tank and looks like he is flailing his arms and stuff when trying to get air at the surface... I'm not sure what's wrong...
    I recently moved to college and the tap water is highly chlorinated. I beileved I the water conditioner would take care of that so I don't know if he is burnt.... but even after switching him to bottled water he is still doing it....
    I'm really scared that this is redleg... idk.
    the tank is a one gallon and has live gravel and shells. has a heater and no filteration. I change the water biweekly
    idk what else to say pretty please help me if you know what is wrong....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: please help me with my adf

Hi Samantha,

The symptoms you describe could potentially be red leg, but they could also be something else. Please answer the questions below and post pictures of your frog and set up. In the meantime, if your frog is struggling to swim or surface for air, you will want to put him in a "hospital" tank with a bare bottom and only about 2 inches of water. Keep the tank in a dark and quiet place to reduce stress.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)?

20. Any salt in water (how much)?

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default please help me with my adf

Welcome to the forum Samantha! I don't know whats going on and the trouble questions have been posted but one gallon of water is not enough. Adfs need at least five gallons of water even for one. And remember that base area is more important than height. It may be hard cause of college rules and money and stuff ik . The water will also need to be changed more often when a filter isn't present i believe

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Samantha! Try and answer questions posted as best as you can. What water conditioner are you using? Recommend treat the bottle water too; sometimes they have added chloramines. Please change 50% water daily with dechlorinated tap and add 1 teaspoon aquarium or kosher salt per gallon for one week replenishing to maintain same level while doing water changes. The salt will help prevent ammonia burns if that is the issue and also aid against bacterial attacks if it's Red Leg.

Let us know if frog is eating and keep us up too date about it's condition, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Samantha Jane

I read several places that one gallon per frog was ok... now I feel bad...
    it is a (I believe) tetra name brand aquarium and is one gallon at this full... (will attach a pic.)
    I don't have any way to test the ph levels...its just the one frog. (Locutus) the temp is 75 on average... I clean the tank twice a week... I don't have a filter or bubble stone because I read the vibrations would cause him harm.... I didn't add any salt....I put apifishcare conditioner in the the water in the ratio suggested.... I have had him for a few months... and kept fresh clean spring water from our farm in his tank and he really thrived on it.... then I switched to tap with the conditioner here... the lights are off during the day and on about six hours during the night....he is captive breed by nature gift store... his staple deit is the pellets they send but I also was giving him a blood worm in the morning and before bed and he'd eat them right away.... this is the first time I've had any trouble taking care of hkm and he is the first frog I have cared for.... hope that helps....

Samantha Jane

also I took him out and put him in the "hospital" tank and he calmed down... I think he'll be ok in there but I know I can't keep him in his tank for the night so he's riding it out in the little hospital tank.

Samantha Jane

Name:  tmp_20140825_222804-971532251.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  44.6 KB

Samantha Jane

he won't stand up other than to breath and isn't cooperating for a pic of his belly...

Thread Information