Thread: First ever vivarium!

brhebert

Default First ever vivarium!

So I've been an avid fish keeper for years and have experience with planted tanks but this is my first ever experience with owning herps of any kind. I would like to do a vivarium with a native woodland SoCal ecosystem that I can collect from (ie plants, rocks, frogs, etc).

Here is what I have purchased so far:

12x12x18

I'm planning do to a waterfall feature but I'm not sure how to do that. I was going to try something alone the lines of what this guy does with the hydroballs.
    http://youtu.be/Lfa7KgsUJ7I

I was just curious with setup as the front water section isn't made with watertight glass, just three large rocks holding the hydroballs back. With this work long term?

I am also not comfortable making a foam background yet but was going to get a premise foam or cork one. How do these handle the moisture?

Any answers will definitely be appreciated since I've never attempted anything like this before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: First ever vivarium!

Looks like you got some nice supplies going there . Good job on starting a build journal too, because it's nice to have wise forum members to chime in WHILE your building instead of after you build, lol.

The rocks holding the hydroballs back will work long term, but you will have to frequently change out water without a filtration system. Also, you should have your soil level at least 3/4 of an inch above the water level to prevent boggy conditions (unless you want a bog of course )

I would recommend a cork background over a premise foam one for several reasons. Premise foam backgrounds can allow for fruit flies and other bugs to get stuck behind the background and die. Cork background's are much more natural looking, and are easier for epiphytic plants to root into IMO.

Since this is your first build, just take it really slow, ask tons of questions, because most everyone here loves to answer them, and really scroll through the vivarium, terrarium, and enclosure discussion section of this forum.

Before you start the build, as well, you should definitely choose a frog, because the whole build will be based off the requirements of the frog you are going to put in it. I don't know about any SoCal frogs, but here's a good thread for choosing a frog: Frog Forum - Choosing a Frog

Also, here's a good thread for vivarium construction: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...ion-101-a.html

Hope this helps you out, and I almost forgot, welcome to the forum!
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum! Josh has given you great advice thus far! Your 18x18x18 tank can house a wide variety of both terrestrial and arboreal frogs. I dont know much about your native species but one example is the pacific chorus frog that like to be both on land and in the trees. I, of course, want YOU to pick your frog and to not let my suggestions influence you. We are all willing to help so ask any questions you have, even if they may seem odd. Better safe than sorry! Good luck and keep us posted!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

brhebert

Thanks for the advice. Pacific chorus frogs are the frog species that lives in my hills so that was what I was thinking. Now that you guys suggested a cork background that's what in going to go with because I do want to be able to have plants grow on the back wall. We're you referring to moss-type plants? What are epiphytic plants and how could I attach them to the cork?

Also I was just going to collect rocks, small plants, moss, and branches from my creek to set it up as well as some leaf litter. I want to grow everything out well before I add any creatures. Will this be safe since everything is coming from the same habitat including the eventual frogs? Would this be to small for the fire belly newts that live in the creek too?

brhebert

Or rather the California newt

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hey brhebert!

rats on your first Vivarium! It can be addictive. If you do feel an addiction setting in let me know. I have the perfect cure

Attaching plants to a cork background can be done in many different ways. You can pin them to the background using floral wire. Bend the wire into a U shape and press the ends into the cork clamping around the plant to hold it in place. You can us little dabs of hot glue, tooth picks, zipties, really anything as long as it gets the job done and is non toxic and non corrosive.

Collecting items from outside is perfectly fine, though you will want to prepare the items for use in your tank (don't want to bring in Natural parasites or bacteria that could harm or kill your frogs

For wood, leaves and rocks it is best to boil them in water for 30mins then place them in the over at 225 for a couple hours. This will ensure any insect, parasites, bugs, or other nasties meet the untimely demise they deserve

For plants you will want to rinse them well under tap water. Clean the roots free of any soil and then soak the plant for 5 mins with it's root submerged in water. then submerge the whole plant in a 10% bleach 90% water mixture for 5 - 7 mins (leaves, stems, and all). This will kill anything living in or on the leaves). Then rinse the plant and make sure the bleach water is all gone. Pot and let it grow outside the tank in ABG mix (a very common terrarium soil) for about a week or 2. Then Plant it in your tank and enjoy!

Moss is a bit trickier. Moss in the US is not typically tropical moss and does not always fair to well with Vivarium life. You can try using some, but most always it dies off. You can buy some terrarium moss from NeHerp, Josh's Frogs, or Blackjungle to name a few online retailers. I personally love NeHerps moss, but others have their preference as well.

Don't know anything about fire belly newts sorry :/

the 18x18x18 tank you have will do great for 2 - 3 frogs. The main thing you will fight with is tank height. If you have a water feature like you plan you will likely have 2" of water minimum, then 3" of soil. This cuts your tank height down to 13". So keep this in minds as you are planning the water depth and plants.

Let us know if we can be of any further help!
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Thread Information