Thread: Do I remove these?

awelcome

Default Do I remove these?

My viv is about 3-3.5 weeks old now, and I already went through posting about mold and was told it was ok during the first few weeks, and that it would eventually go away. The manzanita branch I have in there, however, seems to be quite covered at this point, and since it serves no purpose other than visual appeal at this point I wondered if I should pull it out? I could either clean it, and maybe put it back, or leave it out.... I just like how it offsets things in there so if it is still safe to have it I guess I'd leave it. The mold still seems lighter than the grey mold I saw pics of, but pics are hard to compare since lighting/exposure/white balance play a huge role in how things look. The front of the branch is, oddly enough, fairly clean now, so it wasn't until I peeked around back that I saw how covered it was. I will try to add a couple pics, but it was really difficult to get useful shots of it.

My other question is just regarding the creeping charlie plant.... It was thriving before, but just in the last couple days a few leaves have gotten dark spots on them. There is also one leaf at least that has a couple holes as if it is being eaten (perhaps those dang fungus gnat larvae I can't get out of there!) Another thought I had was perhaps the new light.... maybe it's TOO much for that? Anyway, I wondered if I should leave these leaves on the plant or if I should pinch them off?

Thanks!

Name:  IMG_7124.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  77.2 KBName:  IMG_7128.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  70.9 KBName:  IMG_7126.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  92.4 KBName:  IMG_7127.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  87.3 KBName:  IMG_7130.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  55.9 KBName:  IMG_7131.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  93.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

awelcome

Default Re: Do I remove these?

still hoping to get some advice on this.

The mold is normal. The plant is fine. You can pinch the leaves off if it bothers you.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Sorry, was a bit pressed for time on that answer. The mold is normal. It can take a few weeks to a month or so for it to work it's way out. Depends on temps. Higher temps cause mold and takes longer to go away. Don't worry about grey mold, you do not have anything in the tank that would cause that type mold growth.

From time to time, plants will get spots on them for various reasons. If the plant is showing signs of new growth, then it is healthy. You can just pinch off the leaves you don't like once the plant has established itself.

Your tank is in the process of maturing, which can take up to 6 months. Plants may thrive and die off. Strange things may appear, like mushrooms. These are all part of the natural cycle of things. Just try to sit back, relax, enjoy the tank and try to keep from micromanaging the tank. It will drive you mad pretty quickly!!! Lol

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

6. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Fbt123

Definitely agree with Bill. My fittonia red has some weird splodges and stuff on it but it us beginning to grow fine

awelcome

as usual, you have put my mind at rest. I figured it was ok, just wasn't sure if pinching off was better for the plant or not. I will probably leave them for now, but that plant is definitely doing well. It has grown so much since I put it in. I have seen tiny little white things that Paul said were probably mushrooms and they are starting to show up all over, kind of neat. I also saw what looks like some little yellow sprout type thing coming out of the inside of one of the red brom leaves... tried to get a pic, but they are so small it's hard to focus on them. Maybe more mushrooms... I dunno. Definitely interesting to see all that happens.

Thread Information