Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumble Bee Toad tank build

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Bumble Bee Toad tank build

I wasn't sure where to put this. Mods feel free to move it if necessary (sorry, I'm new around here)

I received some great help from Bill and others learning how to set up a vivarium for bumble bee toads, which I plan to begin purchasing very soon. I'm going to be sanitizing an old ten gallon tank this week and getting it ready for the toads.

I'm heading down to LLL reptile's retail store in Mission Valley this afternoon and first of all, wanted to know of any specific plants I should be looking for to house these toads. After viewing what's available on their site, I'm probably going to try to pick up some ferns and air plants. Hopefully I'll be buying dwarf four leaf clover from an online retailer where I frequently purchase plants for my fish tanks, assuming they have it in stock. That will go around the small pool I plan to build into the tank.

I have a large "Y" shaped manzanita burl which is going into the tank, and I plan to mount the air plants on that, merely for aesthetic purposes. I'd like to mount some other things on it as well, perhaps an anubias petite nana if it can hold up with the tank's lack of humidity. For that, I'd use a bit of topsoil in a hollow in the wood, and bury the plant's roots while letting the rhizome rest above the soil. (any thoughts on this will be much appreciated)

Is there a grassy plant I can use in this tank that will tolerate the low humidity required for these toads? I know there is a member of the cyperus family that is fairly common in marshy areas in their natural habitat, but I can't remember what it's called - some kind of rushgrass, supposedly. Anyway I have no idea if that would be available for sale anywhere. I suppose I could always go collect some from the marshes near my house... LOL.

Anyway, that was long-winded. I plan to start setting up the tank in the next few days and will definitely take pictures as I go. It's intended to be a piece of living art. I will likely house it in my kitchen since it will require no equipment, and my kitchen gets the most natural light of all the rooms in my house. If I can pull it off correctly, this vivarium will compete with my favorite fish tank as the prettiest piece of "art" in my apartment lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Bumble Bee Toad tank build

I picked up some plants today, at LLL and a fish store I go to (they sell hairgrass which I figured would work for what I want in this tank). And then I got home and realized that I didn't have time to sanitize the tank for the toads yet, as I had to put together a makeshift tank for my betta sorority, so putting it together got put on hold.

In the meantime, to hopefully keep the plants alive, I've done a little something. Beware, the fluffy white blob in the back of the first pic is my poodle who is in desperate need of a haircut.

Name:  DSCF6718 (721x1280).jpg
Views: 522
Size:  89.1 KBName:  DSCF6719 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 587
Size:  91.8 KBName:  DSCF6720 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 544
Size:  89.6 KB

I also picked up the matting I need to separate the drainage layer from the soil

Nationality
    [United States]

*panic voice* I ordered three toads from Josh's Frogs. I am freaking out lol. So excited to get them and get them into the tank.

I am putting it together tomorrow, with plants and all. Will probably QT them for a week or two in a kritter keeper with a small water bowl, and make sure they are doing well before I put them into the tank. I picked up a thermometer and humidity measurer (I forget what the thing is called) today so I can make sure to keep things within their approved range.

I'm so nervous lol. Hopefully all goes well.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Good Luck
    You have done your duties.....you have prepared well for your toads ....Bravo!
    Your QT plans are important as YOU will want to get to know the frogs as well.
    It's really great that you are not skipping this important step.
    I'm sure you know to get that water there for them asap after arrival.
    I'm getting a frog delivery today as well!

I'll be thinking about you, congratulations!

Post some photos
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

So, they should be arriving on Thursday. Yippie!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

I set up their enclosure today! Finally lol. I lost a few plants in holding, but more have arrived quickly to replace them. I'm using a combination of "aquatic" plants (which any fishkeeper with access to google can tell you, is a very loose term. most of the plants are found only partially submerged in the wild.) and terrestrial plants. During my visit to petsmart, I found several healthy "tube" plants which I went ahead and purchased. So in addition to the tillies, anubias, fern, and dwarf clover, I now have Umbrella Plant and Kyoto Grass. Interestingly I grow both of these plants submersed in my fish tanks and they do extremely well that way. It'll be interesting for me to see how they fare above water, since neither of them is supposed to be fully aquatic.

I have several plants growing "out of the water" in the area where I'll have a small bathing pool. Hopefully this works out fine for the toads, as I've always wanted to grow some of these things riparium style.

I do have a question, though. My tap water is well water, no chlorine because of this. It has extremely high mineral content though, high TDS, and pH off the charts. Is this safe for the toads? If not, I can happily use RO water instead. I almost always have some around and keeping a gallon reserved for the toads every month is not going to be a big deal for me. Any thoughts on the matter, toad experts?

Here's how it looks so far:
    Name:  DSCF6736.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  80.7 KBName:  DSCF6737.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  67.8 KBName:  DSCF6738.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  95.4 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

The toadlets are here! They are so tiny and cute... omg. The largest is as big as my thumbnail.

I finished their enclosure as well. Pics!!

Name:  DSCF6758 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 542
Size:  55.5 KBName:  DSCF6759 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 521
Size:  54.0 KBName:  DSCF6760 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 529
Size:  43.9 KBName:  DSCF6757 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 540
Size:  41.8 KB

Is the skin flaking on the one little guy normal? I'm sure it's fine, he's active and curious and exploring the QT, but as a first time toad mom, I'm a bit paranoid.

Here's their future home. Still waiting on the last few tillies to arrive, but I really like the way it's turned out so far. Most of the aquatic plants are doing well, with the exception of the anubias, which I may just remove altogether if it doesn't perk up.

Name:  DSCF6749 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 557
Size:  78.5 KBName:  DSCF6748 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 511
Size:  55.3 KBName:  DSCF6746 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 539
Size:  56.3 KB

looking good June! the toadlets are so cute!! the flaking skin is probably an incomplete shed. he/she will be fine and get it off on their own
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Came home from dinner (my boyfriend surprised me with a visit from his dad, complete with dinner invite and walk in the park <3) and I'm pretty sure the one with the flaky skin is hiding inside one of the blobs of goo in which the little guys were shipped. He seems to be working it out, anyway.

Fbt123

Great viv, im sure theyll love it! If the skin doesnt come off mist the toad with dechlorinsted water as that will help it get it off

Nationality
    [United States]

Here are some care sheets for you:

http://www.frogforum.net/content/bum...-breeding-126/

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/bl...-and-breeding/

If his she'd gets stuck you can try gently misting above him. Because they are so small, do not spray them. Just allow the mist to fall over him.

They're adorable!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Heather, I've read both of those several times. Did a lot of research before deciding these little guys were the right toads for me (they would probably do great in the wild here - unfortunately they'd wipe out the population of meadow frogs lol) They are almost perfectly suited to the climate where I live, which is good since they're in a natural viv with no climate control.

The one who was shedding seems to have taken care of it by now. I fed them and misted them a bit ago and everyone happily munched down a few fruit flies. His "molt" (lol you can tell I keep shrimp, can't you?) is nowhere to be found, so I'm assuming he scraped it off on the goo ball at some point last night. So far, everyone is doing great. Hopefully this continues, and I can add them to the viv and get the rest of their family here.

Buoford5000

that viv looks so nice id be happy to live in it (if i was a toad of course) good luck with the cutie pies

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is that a metaframe tank? I was looking gor a cheap one forever but then I got a free exo terra and gave up.
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLynch View Post
    Is that a metaframe tank? I was looking gor a cheap one forever but then I got a free exo terra and gave up.
    No idea. It's an old terrarium I picked up at a yard sale for 10 bucks haha. I just liked the look of it.

Nationality
    [United States]

June,

Frogs eat their shed skin usually is the shed is going good you will see them standing still and sucking in there mid section and opening their mouth. They look like they are gagging or having an issue breathing, but that is just them sucking their loose skin in through the corners of their mouth its easier to see on a bigger frogs, but not anything to be worried about.

I didn't see a response for your water question so allow me to add my 2 cents.

You can try treating your water with a fish safe product. I Seachem Prime makes a good one. This not only neutralizes chlorine, but helps with other chemicals as well. RO water is not good to use for soaking. It is devoid of nearly all minerals the frogs need to be healthy. If the concern over your well water is to great than your other best option is bottled spring water, I would still treat it with a product similar to Seachem Prime. Just because it says "Spring water" does not mean it isn't treated some how.

RO water is ok for misting, but will harm your frogs long term

Beautiful frogs btw
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Paul I don't know if you replied on my other thread (I think you did) but those toads didn't make it. Consensus is a humidity issue in their QT.

My well water has a pH literally off the scale on my test kit, which means it's too high for amphibians, or so my research and a few people here told me. I'm thinking of remineralizing RO water for the next batch. (I'm set to rebuild my viv and get new toads within a week or two). What do you think is a good pH for them? I'm hesitant to use "spring water" as it tends to contain electrolytes which I'm told are bad for critters other than humans. Is this correct? I find a lot of spring water to actually be distilled water anyway, which would have the same effect as RO water.

Anyway yeah, still having issues figuring out what to do with my water situation lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

I haven't heard that before (about the electrolytes). I know that a common treatment for frogs is to give them a pedialyte soak to help replace lost electrolytes...

Ohh I a was involved in the other thread. I didn't connect the dots till you pointed it out. Sorry

What are you looking to do with the water section?
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

What do you mean? The water section is just a bathing pool, no waterfall or anything fancy. Just a place for them to get wet. The tank is very low-tech, nothing electrical attached to it except the NatGeo hygrometer/thermometer.

I was thinking of pre-mixing gallon jugs of RO water with stuff to remineralize it. I usually have several 5 gallon jugs of the stuff around for my fish tanks, so it's very convenient to simply use it for my toads. Then I'd have water ready on draining day and could simply refill what I took out. Planning to use a turkey baster for water changes, if you can even call them that lol.

Of course it suddenly decided to get super, super humid where I live, so the tank has been sitting at 80+ humidity for a week and a half. I need to break it down and remove the substrate that fell into the drainage layer somehow, I think that's the cause, as the humidity in my apartment has been around 60% during this time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I keep a USB fan above my grey tree frog tank all the time for those super high humidity days. I just turn it on above the tank (not on it) to get the air moving around it. It really seems to help without totally zapping the humidity.

EDIT: I keep it mounted about 6 inches above the tank and it's not a high powered fan at all, just a cheap little USB laptop fan.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information