Thread: Strange bubble of liquid seen at frogs anus with something swimming in it?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Strange bubble of liquid seen at frogs anus with something swimming in it?

Hi, we have just observed something very strange, one of my grey tree frogs had a bubble of clear liquid attached to it anus, in this small bubble could be seen multiple somthings clearly squarming about. The presence of the bubble obviously irritated the frog who made several efforts to disperse it with its hind legs, he suceeded before I could attempt to isolate it or anything. As far as I am aware the frog appears healthy at least so far. All the frogs (7 of them) seem well and are eating veraciously. Does anyone have any idea what it was I saw? My first thought was worm infestation but I thought worms are in Poo and anyway the frogs usually squart their wee vast distances across the tank generally making any newly cleaned glass dirty and not pass bubbles of liquid! Any thoughts would be appreciated. J

After searching the webb I am wondering if it could be Flukes??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fbt123

Default Re: Strange bubble of liquid seen at frogs anus with something swimming in it?

Im not too sure what has happened lol. At first i thought eggs, but the tads wouldnt be wriggling as the eggs havent been fertilise...very strange. Sorry i cant help but i hope you can sort it out soon

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Strange bubble of liquid seen at frogs anus with something swimming in it?

Thanks Tom, as you an see from above we are wondering if they could have been Flukes but I have no idea how such a thing effect frogs as mostly the references I am reading involve fish! I can see a call to my vet is going to be needed - more expense

Fbt123

That would be a good idea...im thinking it may be a parasite of some sort? Or some weird eggs? But that doesnt explain the squirming. What do u feed him/her?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

They have locusts, black crickets and wax worm moths with the occasional curly wing flies. The moths I culture my self the rest I get from the same online supplier apart from the flies which are quite difficult to get hold of! I suppose I could of introduced something with the food. 2 of the frogs were wild cought but they had their poo analysed I suppose it could have been missed if there was insufficient quantity to show up! The rest are supposed to have been bred here and are mostly not quite fully grown! They still all live together as I have been slow with the new build and they seem to have bonded into a lovely group although now they are getting big the tank is probably not really large enough which I know could cause stress and allow things like parasites to take hold on the other hand splitting them up and moving them will also be stressful Oh you asked him or her I expect it was a Him I have 6 definite hims and one I am not sure of - so much for my plans for a breeding group lol!

Nationality
    [United States]

My first thought is parasites, I would have a group fecal sample sent off for testing.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Strange bubble of liquid seen at frogs anus with something swimming in it?

I agree, it sounds like parasites. You have a fecal test done for about $20. The feces should be tested for ova (eggs) and parasites. Most can be treated.

Parasites will not leave without treatment.

It is also likely that any frogs living with the infected frog will also have the parasites and will also need to be treated.

Do you have a herp vet?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Yes, we just have difficulty getting to her and her callout fee is way beyond my pocket, but she is very good and will chat on the phone, I agree about the parasites it is our first thought but have you ever come across anything like this before? It sounds like testing is much cheaper in the US than it is here in the uk.

Thread Information