Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Green not eating?

Inrk

Unhappy American Green not eating?

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

I got my frog about 5 days ago and he has not eaten since. He is being kept in a "critter keeper" that's a decent size while I wait for his nice terrarium to arrive in the mail. The problem is the pet store only had large crickets that were way too big so I have been trying to tong-feed him mealworms as he hasn't moved since I got him and I don't want them to borrow. He doesn't run from it he just starts beating his throat really fast (don't know what that's called but I assume that a fear response). He'll have a proper home in about 3 days but I'm afraid that he still might not eat due to the small enclosure. I'm heading out now to see if that have small crickets. How long can they go without eating? Me being a tarantula guy, i'm used to weekly or sometimes even monthly feeding for my spiders, but have no general idea about frogs.

Also can someone recommend a very good care sheet or just post the general heat/humidity requirements? I'm reading a few which contradict each other.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: American Green not eating?

Welcome to the forum To start, the frog's enclosure is a bit small, but that should be fixed soon the minimum size for a green tree frog should be a 10 gallon tank. Humidity should be roughly around 60-75% and temps should be in the high 70s. always have a source of water for your frog as well, provide this with a shallow water dish and be sure to use a water conditioner or RO water. Substrate should be paper towel for quarantine purposes. keep us posted on your little guy!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Inrk

For some reason they are STILL out of small crickets and only have large. Any other way to get this guy fed with mealworms? Also are tree frogs communal? Would it be better if there were two or are the better solo?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

can you get a few moths tonight?
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Default American Green not eating?

Most frogs will stop eating for a while while they acclimate to their new surroundings. This case will be even more exaggerated since it is such a small enclosure.

No frogs are really "communal". Will they tolerate another AGTF in their enclosure? Yes. Depending on the size of the enclosure. But it's not like the frog will be lonely if there isn't another frog in there with them.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Inrk

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
    can you get a few moths tonight?
    I thought moths were poisonous? The dust in their wings?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Tree frogs will accept moths but don't feed any insect that glows (aka fireflies) and be sure to feed
    freshly moulted mealworms if you can. it can be hard on their stomachs and difficult to digest.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi and welcome to the forum. For a baby frog that is not eating 5 days it is a problem.

What is a size of a frog, please post the pics of a frog and its current critter keeper, there are quite a few things you can do to help situation while in temporary enclosure. Lets figure that out.

DO NOT feed mealworms! You need crickets or friut flies depending on the size of a frog, you can also do baby dubia if yours is small. If you cant find any of that in your local store you need to order online overnight shipping, you need proper food asap to get any shot of feeding the little guy. Where have you got him?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Here is link to care sheet Ryan wrote: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...a-cinerea.html. Can you get a D. hydei wingless fruit fly culture? If so, wait for frog to wake up at night and try offering some to it. They might be large enough to trigger a feeding response .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Nigel,
    Yes....Welcome to Frog Forum
    Your post is in the right place.
    His throat ??? --he's just breathing
    Sorry you're in a pickle

We absolutely need to know how big the frog is .
    A photo is , as mentioned, would be a huge help.
    A feeder should not be larger than the space between the frogs eyes.
    As Carlos has mentioned, an overnight delivery of the proper size cricket is essential.
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/live-insec...rickets-3.html

Below are some 'survival' tips for you and the frog.
    he idea is to keep him in as simple an enclosure as possible for now.

The very most important thing to do for your frog is to re-hydrate him and to de-stress him.

Here is my 2 cents ! I recommend you do this NOW
    Take a deep breath and Back - up

If there is any soil or moss of any kind in his critter keeper " ....remove it asap
    Remove the frog first - while you RE-DOING the critter keeper.
    To remove the frog ( temporarily ) ( DO NOT TOUCH HIM ) -scoop him into a clean, dampened container with a lid and air holes
    (a little kitchen food storage container)
    Use a container that will fit into the critter keeper when you are done.

If you do not have amphibian safe tap water de-chlorinator ----> get to the supermarket and purchase a couple gallons of spring water ---for now.

The rest of your immediate supplies should be the following:
    1) plain white paper towels
    2) 1-2 gallons of spring water ( or de-chlorinated tap water )
    3) a - clean, shallow soaking dish one the frog can get his whole body into, if possible ( ie a plant saucer or cup saucer)
    ( don't wash the dish with soap of any kind, rinse it in HOT, HOT tap water
    4) if you have a plastic plant - you can add it -- be sure to clean it in hot running tap water
    5) a small - inexpensive spray bottle - NEW - one that has never been used for any other liquid
    6) a towel that will cover three sides of the critter keeper

Empty and clean the critter keeper in hot tap water, dry it off
    Put a few layers of paper towels -FLAT-in the bottom of the critter keeper
    Add the water- make the paper towel VERY damp - but not floating
    ( you don't want the crickets to run into water - they will drown)
    Add the saucer / add water to the saucer ( water should never be over the frog's chin )
    Add the plant if you have one
    Fill the spray bottle and spray down the critter keeper and the plant so the walls and the plant have a little spritz on them

Return the frog to the critter keeper while he is in the temporary container and then remove the lid to the container when you are ready to close up the critter.
    Cover 3 sides of the critter keeper with the towel.
    Put the critter keeper in a very quiet place that will be completely dark at night

Now the food.
    Arrange or be sure to get the proper size cricket asap.
    A young green tree frog ( a froglet) should be fed daily

When you have the proper size crickets add a few ( 4-5 small ) to the critter keeper to roam around on the damp paper towel.
    Every day! Be sure you know how many you put in so you can keep track.
    Remove all uneaten food the next morning while the frog is sleeping.

You do not want to ever handle the frog unless it is absolutely necessary.

No offense....but you frog does NOT like you. Most of OUR frogs are scared to death of us !!!

Here are some photos of a quarantine tank : (Your QT tank will be the critter keeper)
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

By all means , read the care sheet as that will really help you.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

12. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Inrk

No offense but I'm not overnighting crickets. Most are in large quantities and most will die off. It's just not economical. His humidity is fine, he has fresh water and gets a mist. I tossed two moths in before I left for work and I'll check when I get home. His size is about 2 inches and I'll get a pic when I get home. I'll remove his substrate and put some paper towels down. As for stress, I generally leave him alone and don't handle him. I'll check the pet store again tomorrow morning. If they are still out I'll probably just go hunt for some myself. I know it's frowned upon for potential parasites, but it might be the only option.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you can't purchase or get enough food for it; recommend release frog close to where you got it. Maybe can try with another frog once you solve the food supply issue or start your own food cultures.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a pair of AGTF and feed mainly turkish roaches, but they also love moths and wax worms. I get my roaches from Feeder Source & Welcome to NightGlow Feeders . I love the roaches over crickets, less die off, no noise and not as stinky as crickets.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

16. This member thanks kueluck for this post:

Inrk

Update: It's unbelievable that the pet store still has no smalls. I had the clerk get the smallest ones from the large crickets, and that seemed to work. I tossed 2 in there and he ate them. It's not that I cant afford crickets, its just ridiculous to pay for overnight shipping for them, and between my full time job and spiders, I don't have the time to properly maintain a colony. As far as the pet stores inventory goes, they had their cricket order recalled for some reason and they will have more tomorrow.

Glad to hear you found some suitable crickets. Waxworms that you allow to pupate to moths are also great treefrog food.

Quote Originally Posted by Inrk View Post
    If they are still out I'll probably just go hunt for some myself. I know it's frowned upon for potential parasites, but it might be the only option.
    There are other wild caught options, see the first couple posts of: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ght-foods.html In particular, earthworms are a great option if you have a chemical free area to collect from.

Caresheets will seem to disagree about everything, but the reality is these are a fairly hardy species that can handle a good range of living conditions. A reasonably comfortable room temperature, lots of climbing spaces, a clean water dish, and a tank that's as tall as you can afford are the basics, well planted with live plants being preferable.

Nationality
    [Canada]

The only option is to have constant and proper food supply for your frog! As well as provide proper housing and vet care. You dont want to ship feeders, dont want/have time to have colony, wild caught feeders are not an option in captivity. A frog couldnt care less about food availability of your nearest pet store, it wants/need to eat and it cant wait. You need to test and treat frog for parasites too.
    failure to proper care for a pet animal is neglect in my books!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

All of us face struggles with our pets and have to make a tough call from time to time. I have Never had an issue ordering crickets online and having them shipped. I HATE having to care for 1000 crickets, they smell, they make a giant mess, and they are just not something I want to deal with, BUT I love my frogs.. I CHOSE to keep them and care for them. They sure didnt choose to be in captivity.

Giving an excuse not to properly care for your pet in public is sad. You pet is hungry, it can't tell you it's hungry, it doesn't even have the option a dog does (eat garbage) if you don't feed it. It will simply suffer alone in silence.

We are here to help and we have offered you the help we can. Order some food for your frog or release it so it can at least have a chance at a meal.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    We are here to help and we have offered you the help we can. Order some food for your frog or release it so it can at least have a chance at a meal.
    And we will continue helping if you would like us to do so, to set up tank properly, how to test/treat and more. But im sorry it just breaks my heart to hear about frog (any animal) suffering and owner that is making excuses... It is really sad.

Inrk

I do understand that some might be concerned, but please understand that any mistakes I might be making are not from malicious intent. This is still a learning process for me and I do appreciate the info that was given. Remember we were all noobs once

Update: The terrarium is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so I'll begin the process of making it nice. Does anyone know a good place to get corkbark backgrounds?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi,
    Please see post # 15...
    Brian has super comments for you!
    My tree frogs LOVE waxworm moths. They will pupate quickly.
    When I buy the wax worms, I intentionally purchase the ones that have already started to pupate.
    This way you will not have to wait so long for the moths

Remember, Inrk is it OK to keep the frog in a QT setting or an extended period of time.
    You're able to monitor the frog very closely in QT. It benefits you and the frog.
    If the frog is now in your care....well you can't go backwards. Forward is good, this is not rocket science
    It will all work out. It is obvious you want to take good care of him!

I hope he takes a worm. Please keep us posted.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"