Thread: Help Needed! Sick pac man frog!

aggj

Default Help Needed! Sick pac man frog!

Hi there,
    Today I notice small sores all over my Pac Man frog Jose. he's also covered in these tiny grey critters that almost look like roll polleys but are only like 1 to 2 millimeters in length. they have been in the cage before and on Jose but have never seemed to bother him. mostly they eat the decaying matter in his habitat like his poop. I'm not sure if they are what is causing the sores or not. I'm not sure how to get rid of them and how to heal jose's wounds. i just moved into college and he came with me. it seems like the sores only appeared after the move. during the car ride jose was very active and clearly stressed, climbing over the decorations in his cage but has now settled down. maybe the sores are just from him bumping into things? he has been living in his terrarium for about 3 months now and I've had him for two years and I've never seen him get anything like this before. the temperature stays about 75 to 80 degrees and the humidity is at about 70% all the time. its full of live plants that i purchased from a reputable garden center. I've never had to treat any frog for anything so i don't really know what to do. any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you so much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help Needed! Sick pac man frog!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

first thing you need to do is to place a frog in dechlorinated water bath while you cleaning his tank, water level no higher then frog chin. Take absolutely everything out, clean it very well with water, mild bleach solution, rinse very well, then put wet papertowels on a bottom, plastic plant or two for him to hide under, cover 3 sides of the enclosure. Answer to "trouble" questions, post pic of current tank, and close up of a frog to help you on what to do further.
    txs!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

These are the questions
    “Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

and please can you post close up of these grey creatures you are talking about.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

You've got mites and they are what is causing the sores. Bathe him twice. Any kind of wood furniture should be discarded and replaced. Everything else should be submerged in hot water and left there while you clean the tank.

You'll also want to place a small amount of original neosporin on the sores to help stop infection.

Post a picture of the mites as well.

Answer the questions Lija has posted.

Thread Information