Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firs frog - How often should I feed a young American Gray Tree Frog?

Default Re: Firs frog - How often should I feed a young American Gray Tree Frog?

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    30 days minimum. Make sure his water isn't more than chin deep.
    Oh damn, longer than i thought. Okay, thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Firs frog - How often should I feed a young American Gray Tree Frog?

Quote Originally Posted by gdibs82 View Post
    You may want to "gut load" the crickets, unless you use the stuff you sprinkle on them. I usually feed the crickets fish flake food an hour before feeding them to my frogs.
    Can i gut load them with lettuce, carrots, spinach, that sort of thing?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

yes it is just a mess you need to clean up every day. fish flakes are easier, but whatever you have will work.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

gdibs82

Exactly what was said above. If you plan on storing crickets for a longer period than an hour. Make sure to have a cricket house with food and water (water on a paper towel will suffice).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Fresh vegetables and fruits are much healthier! I use carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, watermelon, orange slices etc, with cheerios. I use orange slices or flukers orange cubes for water, but you can get water crystals too. I keep it in a dish so I can dump it out and refill it every day. Remember, what goes into your crickets, goes into your frogs. The healthier your crickets are gutloaded, the healthier your frogs will be! I gutload mine for 24-48 hours before feeding.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

gdibs82

You can "gut load" them any way that's been mentioned. I know fish flake food is healthy for them, its what you'd feed them as tadpoles. Either way, crickets usually lay wastes every few hours anyways. As long as they have food to keep them gut loaded. Your frog(s) should stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
    yes it is just a mess you need to clean up every day. fish flakes are easier, but whatever you have will work.
    I bought pinheads today as well as calcium. I fed the pinheads spinach and cabbage. An hour later I put them in a glass bowl. And Gandalf (I decided to name him Gandalf the Gray, haha. If he turns out to be female I'll just name him Ms. Gandalf) jumped in, but he didn't eat any. I waited and watched for about a half hour. I put the crickets back and took out the bowl. I'll try again later. Honestly Gnadalf has grown already since I found him. He looked quite thin and now has a big pot belly. He looks more like a frog now. Maybe that maggot is taking a while to digest so he doesnt feel hungry? He has already started turning gray too! It's only been like two days and there are such changes in appearance.

Name:  20140815_211359.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  66.6 KB

Before he went in. He seemed interested so I'm surprised he didn't eat any. Might the pinheads be too big?

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
    Ill try fish flakes too some time, just to mix things up. I dont mind cleaning up the crickets' home, ive done it for the past 7 years, what with having a Bearded Dragon. Lol.

Exactly what was said above. If you plan on storing crickets for a longer period than an hour. Make sure to have a cricket house with food and water (water on a paper towel will suffice).
    I gave them a good home. Paper towel, spinach and cabbage, an egg crate. I am used to crickets due to having a Bearded Dragon (7 years). Bearded Dragons are much like frogs it seems when it comes to food and vitamins/calcium.

Fresh vegetables and fruits are much healthier! I use carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, watermelon, orange slices etc, with cheerios. I use orange slices or flukers orange cubes for water, but you can get water crystals too. I keep it in a dish so I can dump it out and refill it every day. Remember, what goes into your crickets, goes into your frogs. The healthier your crickets are gutloaded, the healthier your frogs will be! I gutload mine for 24-48 hours before feeding.
    Great! We have always got fruits and vegetables in the house. I've got the fluckers cricket quencher. Would that be alright? Im not sure how safe thatd be for a frog to eat a cricket thats munched on that. So in 1-2 days they should be completely gut fed? okay.

You can "gut load" them any way that's been mentioned. I know fish flake food is healthy for them, its what you'd feed them as tadpoles. Either way, crickets usually lay wastes every few hours anyways. As long as they have food to keep them gut loaded. Your frog(s) should stay healthy.
    okay thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MantidBro View Post
    Great! We have always got fruits and vegetables in the house. I've got the fluckers cricket quencher. Would that be alright? Im not sure how safe thatd be for a frog to eat a cricket thats munched on that. So in 1-2 days they should be completely gut fed? okay.
    Cricket quencher should be fine for giving them water. Try giving him 3-5 crickets for the first few nights and see what he eats. He may be overwhelmed by that many crickets. They are a little big, I would start by picking out the smallest ones to give him for right now.

Cricket quencher should be fine for giving them water. Try giving him 3-5 crickets for the first few nights and see what he eats. He may be overwhelmed by that many crickets. They are a little big, I would start by picking out the smallest ones to give him for right now.
    Okay. And thanks. :-)

Last night Gandalf passed a big poop, the biggest he has ever passed. I believe that was the remains of the maggot. I figured he would be hungry after having finally passed that. Tried giving him pinheads, he ate 3! he is completely gray now. Ill post photos later on. Thanks for the help guys.

Edit: oh and I inspected some of his poop. The big one which I believe was the maggot did have some maggot like skin in it. And his smaller poops are not to wet and not too dry. Looks a lot like soil. Breaks apart like it as well. The rest of his poop was in the water bowl so I wasnt able to test it.

Name:  20140817_143548.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  51.3 KB Name:  20140817_143608.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  50.8 KB

Before I cleaned his bowl. I think theyre supposed to usually poop in their water bowl right?

Completely gray now!

Also much fatter. My avatar proves that! Im surprised by how many changes there have been over the span of only 3 days.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

no, mine poop on the walls. never in the water bowl.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

gdibs82

Its ok if he poops in the water dish. Just be sure to replace the water. I have a few, and they poo on the plants, sides of the tank, and their water dish

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It's very normal for them to poop in the water dish. That's part of why you clean it daily

Its ok if he poops in the water dish. Just be sure to replace the water. I have a few, and they poo on the plants, sides of the tank, and their water dish
    Im replacing it every morning. Thanks!

It's very normal for them to poop in the water dish. That's part of why you clean it daily
    Thanks!

My friend recently bought a walking frog and she said, hes pooping in his water bowl just like hes supposed to. So i was wondering what that was about. I guess its not definite though, or neccessary for them to do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information