Thread: Is humidity variance normal?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Is humidity variance normal?

I'm having some weirdness with the vivarium I set up this morning. I've been watching the humidity, as I'm going to be adding bumble bee toads to it after their QT, and the humidity is a bit too high at 75%. Now today it's a bit sticky where I live, so this might be part of it. I don't have AC so whatever it is outside, it's usually the same inside.

However, on a whim, I removed the hygrometer and held it in another spot in the tank, actually right over the bathing pool, at the very top. Right now it's back on its' velcro hook behind the wood and among the plants. But when I held it over what I had intended to be the "wettest" part of the vivarium, the humidity dropped. Like 5-6%.

I'm weirded out by this. I planted the tank so that the grasses growing out of the bathing pool would (hopefully) create humid pockets, as I expected the tank to be a bit on the dry side. So frankly I'm concerned about my toads' health.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is humidity variance normal?

What hygrometer are you using? They are notoriously inaccurate. I've been most successful with the nat geo hygro/thermometer so far. I usually have 2 in my tanks at all times to try to get the best idea of what is going on. So each of them have a nat geo and exo terra at the moment. The exo terras gives me a constant reading of 99% while nat geo seems to be more on.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Amy is right. Hydrometers are wildly inaccurate. At the best of times they give us a vague idea what the humidity is + or - 10%. Analog Hydrometers are garbage. Get the digital one Amy recomended or try the exo terra Hydrometer. I actually use Glass aquarium thermometers for temp readings in all my tanks now. So much more accurate lol.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is this your first viv? Once you have some experience, you'll easily be able to tell if humidity is in an appropriate range by the plants, glass, and smell.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, it's my first viv. I don't have a digital one since I don't have anywhere to plug it in near the tank. The tank sits on a rolling butcher block in my kitchen lol. This particular combo thermometer/hygrometer is from ZooMed. I will look into the ExoTerra ones. This is just what they had in stock when I was at the store. I will probably pick up something better on my next visit to LLLReptile.

This is a link to the exact dual thermometer/hygrometer I have: Zoo Med Economy Dual Analog Thermometer/Humidity Gauge

I have a lot of substrate in the tank, due to the live plants. I guess it's very possible the peat/sphagnum moss is holding in enough moisture to cause the humidity rise at the back of the tank, since there is more peat back there to hold the rooted plants in place.

I checked it about 20 minutes ago when I came home from the boyfriend's house. It read 76% humidity. Just a few minutes ago, I checked it again and it read 82% lol. I wonder if it's just busted. The thermometer on it is working perfectly.

Edit: Oh. I think I found the problem LOL. It's 73% humidity in my town at this very moment. That's unusually high for us. I'm betting it's messing with the already not terribly accurate gauge.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just to let you know, the ET and NG hygrometers or combo gauges use small batteries and do not need electrical connections .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Carlos, I am herp stupid lol. Could you link me to one?

I was also looking at this: Gauge - Humidity & Temperature Digital | That Pet Place

I haven't yet determined if it needs an outlet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

National Geographicâ„¢ Digital Reptile Thermometer & Hygrometer | Humidity & Temperature Controls | PetSmart

Exo Terra® Thermo-Hygro Combination Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer | Humidity & Temperature Controls | PetSmart

I have two of each of these. Both of the exo terra's say 99% for humidity all the time. It never changes. The Nat Geo's seem to be pretty accurate so far. There is one bad review on that nat geo, but I've had very good luck. Both use batteries.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you, Amy!

ricky

Hi

I used this LCD Thermometer to monitor my viv. React very quickly to changes, like if I open the viv door for loner time or sprinkle water in the viv.
    Digital LCD Thermometer - Hygrometer Reptile Incubator Vivarium 1.5m Long Probe | eBay

Nationality
    [United States]

I went ahead and ordered the NatGeo hygrometer. I'm going to run both for a while, just to see what's what while I get used to having an enclosed sub tropical garden in my kitchen LOL. Anyway I've never seen one in the stores near me so just ordered from petsmart online. It should be here next week.

Due to the sudden (and I mean sudden) drop in humidity in my town, I am seeing lots of evaporation. This could also account for the rapid humidity swings in the viv, I suppose. I'm sure my newbie misting (likely uneven within the viv and probably not the same amount every day so far) isn't helping either. I will just keep an eye on things. There are plenty of pockets where water could become trapped in the viv, and plenty of open areas, so I'm sure all will be fine for the toadlets when they make it into the tank.

Thread Information