Thread: Toad Help

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Toad Help

My American Toad has been acting strangely lately - she hasn't been burrowed in weeks. She's been eating, pooping, and shedding, but hasn't been burrowing. I'm wondering if it has to do with the cage she lives in; an exo terra 12x12x18
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Toad Help

Is she atleast hiding, or is she just sitting in the open?
    Bufo americanus - Salazar (male)
    R.I.P Coco

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Toad Help

Half and half of both. Sometimes though, it seems she spends the whole day exposed in the open
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]

How large is the toad? If that ET floor space is 12x12; it could be cramped for a large toad . Think a 20L aquarium with screen top is a better choice for them .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Toad Help

The toad is very small. 2 inches. When I asked if it was okay to keep her in a 12x12, everyone said I could! You can keep paman frogs in 12x12's. You can keep snakes in enclosures that are the same size as the snake! Lola doesn't seem cramped at all in a 12x12.
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Toad Help

I do have a 20L in storage, it's just that a 12x12x18 is perfect apartment size. LLLReptile says you can keep whites in 12x12s. I just assumed Lola would be fine in their... I don't know what to do.
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [Canada]

Whitesn 12x12s - no way

as your toad, look he is eating, pooping, shedding, nothing out of ordinary otherwise. Meaning he is perfectly fine!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Toad Help

So cage size isn't a huge 'ingredient' in toads well being? Like, as long as she has every other need she's fine?
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [Canada]

The tank is a good size for Lola, as most people tell you on here not to put in enclosure that is too big. If you had more than one is would say a 20L tank as well. I have Coconut in a 20 gallon and she's happy, but it seems to big for her, so i just added more things to make it seem smaller for now. Coconut only borrowed for about a week in the 2 months I've had her. She mostly tends to be in the hides, and occasionally in the open, much like Lola. I noticed Salazar (my toadlet) is the same most of the time.
    Bufo americanus - Salazar (male)
    R.I.P Coco

Thread Information