Thread: Discoloration of WTF?

Kmoonleaf

Default Discoloration of WTF?

Hello! I've had my White's Tree Frog, Mordin, for just over a month now. He seems perfectly healthy, he eats and poops regularly, climbs around, sleeps, and croaks. But recently I've noticed two things. One, he has some sort of discoloration on his nose. I tried taking a picture, but the camera won't pick it up. It's just a small spot on his left nostril that is slightly blue/purple/white-ish compared to the rest of him. I think it might be a bruise? I feed him in a bowl and sometimes when he dives for crickets, he hits the bottom fairly hard. Any ideas if I should be worried about this?
    Also, when I first got him, he was bright green quite often.
    Name:  tumblr_n934nqCMgR1sa5atio1_500.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  104.4 KB
    but now, he's more brown most of the time, especially on the top of his head.
    Name:  IMG_20140808_165947339_zpsudkts1yo.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  38.0 KB

Yesterday I did his first ever tank cleaning. (replaced the substrate, took everything out and washed it down with water, scrubbed the sides of the tank) As soon as I took him out of the tank, He turned bright green, and when I put him back into the cleaned tank, he stayed green for the rest of the evening ( he seemed very happy to explore his newly rearranged home) But today, he's back to being brown. Am I doing something wrong? I generally keep the temperature around 80 degrees fahrenheit, and the humidity fluctuates. I try to keep it around 60%, never let it get lower than 50%, but sometimes right after I mist the tank it will get as high as 90% and then slowly go down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Discoloration of WTF?

Hi,

He is really not discolored -- not in a 'bad' way.
    They will change color from time to time. Typically........ this is normal
    Some may even have little white ( very slightly raised ) bumps on their backs.

So if he is eating and pooping ( without diarrhea) than he's fine.

Read every possible care sheet you can find !

Since the frog's skin helps it to retain moisture - the skin color changes with humidity and temperature in its immediate surroundings.
    If the humidity is on the higher side and the temp is lower --- they will be more brown.
    If the the temp is higher / and there is less humidity --- they will be more green.

He is like a little combo hygrometer/thermometer

Most important ..........is to maintain the proper temperature. You can always give the enclosure an extra spray if need be.

Be sure you have accurate devices. Use more than one thermometer; move it around.
    Most hygrometers are not really very reliable...and should just be used as a guide.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Kmoonleaf

Thank you for the answer. I'm glad to hear that he's brown just because, I was afraid my temperature / humidity was off and it was making him unhappy.

I've managed to get a picture of the spot on his nose, since he's green today and I have better lighting - it's not at all like the little white natural spots on his back.
    Name:  IMG_20140809_143914825_zpsbq9c4o9v.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  30.6 KB
    Can you see it right beside his left nostril? It doesn't look natural or healthy to me, and I don't remember it being there when I first got him.

Herptoidbufo

I have 3 whites tree frogs and one of them is always brown and the others green. Occasionally the two green ones will turn a little brown but it's completely safe and the brow one is actually a male and currently breeding. Also like you said your frog keeps hitting its head against the bowl. I recommend feeding your frog in the tank instead of in a bowl and it will also help to tong feed your frog if it can't hunt as well now. I hope this helps your worrying. Everyone worries about their frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Your frog should have a basking spot that hits 85F. More information on their care in here: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Kmoonleaf

yep, he has a basking spot near the top of the tank that's usually around 85 degrees.

Mordin is active and healthy so I'm sure he COULD be tank fed, but I'm worried if I do he might ingest substrate? I have EcoEarth which I know is supposed to not cause impaction, but it still worries me so I bowl feed just to be safe. Plus I like the bowl because it makes feeding fast and simple, I don't have to touch the bugs, and I can monitor how many crickets he eats and not have to worry about them dying in the tank, or hiding somewhere he can't reach.

Maybe I could try tong feeding him just until the bump on his nose heals? I'd think it would be hard to get the crickets out of the container with tongs without having a bunch escape though.

Growler

i have 3 whites one is green one is green/brown and other (the Male ) is brown most of the time

Kmoonleaf

An update: I've been hand-feeding him some days, and bowl feeding when I'm in a hurry and don't feel like touching crickets. The spot on his nose has turned from blue-ish to black, and it's worrying me. Could it be healing, like how bruises on a person turn yellow when they heal, or is it getting worse?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ouch! I don't really have an answer as to what it might be, hope it is just a bruise... could it be a cricket bite?? If he's still eating and acting normally it might not be anything to worry about really, but maybe you should ask a herp vet to be on the safe side...?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Thread Information