Thread: My Juvenile albino leopard frog died....

LeopardFrogKeeper

Default My Juvenile albino leopard frog died....

Ok, so when I went frogging in my backyard about a week ago, I found a albino frog! It was unbelievable! So I caught it and showed it to my parents. My Dad decided to name it Shiny. Well, 3 days ago, I found him dried up and dead. It made me really sad, because I thought I was giving it care and food... I put it in a 10 gallon tank. The setup was dirt, a artifial cave (Made from a coffee holder, I did not have anything else) And a blue water bowl. Can someone tell me why this happen? I fed it when I put it in the tank, and I saw it eat when I first got him. I've been having to pick him up and put him in the water bowl, because every time when he came out from under the dead grass I put in there, he would just be covered up with dirt and would jump in the corner... I have a picture of him. As some pet lovers, I get attached pretty easily, and I get emotional some times when I look back at the tank... I'm a kid, what do you expect?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My Juvenile albino leopard frog died....

Hello and welcome to FF! Sorry the froglet died . Well, without a necropsy or maybe full information on enclosure it's not easy to determine a cause of death. It could be a bad gene or something was wrong in the tank. Leopard's care sheet could help you maybe see if something was amiss: Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886). They are shy frogs that require a mixed (50-50 or so) water/land tank. A water dish is too small a water source and being a dish it's in the open, which proves not the best option. Please answer the following questions if further interested in finding out more. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information