Thread: Night time temps

Default Night time temps

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I won't know until I get the answer .

I'm looking into getting a Pacman. It would be my first. I currently have some ACFs and a giant african bullfrog, so I think I've got enough background info to get me started. So on my GABF tank I'm using a UTH on the side about 1" above the substrate. I've left it off for the last two months because my apartment has been warm and his temps have been 77-84 degrees during the day. I'm going to put the heater back on again because temps have been getting lower (strangest August ever!).
    From what I've read, Pacmans are more delicate than GABFs and you need to be more precise with their temps so I would definitely keep an UTH on the side. I guess what I'm confused about is the difference between night and daytime temps. Are you folks unplugging your UTHs at night? Or just relying on your room temperature to decrease slightly? I suppose those of you with daytime and nighttime lamps have it sorted out, but I prefer to use heaters (have two cats that can't be trusted around hot bulbs).

I keep seeing mention of daytime temp ranges and nighttime ranges being important to keep the frog healthy/happy. I just can't seem to find practical explanations for how you all are making that happen lol.

I appreciate any feedback. I'm currently fighting the urge to drive to Petsmart directly after work today and pickup the baby pacman that's been their for over a month. Part of me wants to hold out for a more interesting color morph, but that would mean waiting for a herp show or paying for shipping. I normally try to stay away from Petsmart stock, but the little dude seems to be having a hard time getting a home AND he's on sale.

Thanks for any insight!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Night time temps

Quote Originally Posted by SwimminSteve View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but I won't know until I get the answer .

I'm looking into getting a Pacman. It would be my first. I currently have some ACFs and a giant african bullfrog, so I think I've got enough background info to get me started. So on my GABF tank I'm using a UTH on the side about 1" above the substrate. I've left it off for the last two months because my apartment has been warm and his temps have been 77-84 degrees during the day. I'm going to put the heater back on again because temps have been getting lower (strangest August ever!).
    From what I've read, Pacmans are more delicate than GABFs and you need to be more precise with their temps so I would definitely keep an UTH on the side. I guess what I'm confused about is the difference between night and daytime temps. Are you folks unplugging your UTHs at night? Or just relying on your room temperature to decrease slightly? I suppose those of you with daytime and nighttime lamps have it sorted out, but I prefer to use heaters (have two cats that can't be trusted around hot bulbs).

I keep seeing mention of daytime temp ranges and nighttime ranges being important to keep the frog healthy/happy. I just can't seem to find practical explanations for how you all are making that happen lol.

I appreciate any feedback. I'm currently fighting the urge to drive to Petsmart directly after work today and pickup the baby pacman that's been their for over a month. Part of me wants to hold out for a more interesting color morph, but that would mean waiting for a herp show or paying for shipping. I normally try to stay away from Petsmart stock, but the little dude seems to be having a hard time getting a home AND he's on sale.

Thanks for any insight!
    Oh you're not looking hard enough Lol!

Well first of all you should have a temp gauge and hygrometer in the tank about 2" above the substrate in the center of the back wall. Night time temps can range from 76° to 79°, but you can hang around 78° they can tolerate a little warmer, but there has to be some kindof night time drop in temps. Cliamte is very similar to GABF's. Look into geting Zoo Med Hygrotherm or another good climate control unit to regulate temps for you and possibly operate a humidifier to keep humudity correct. Unplugging the UTH works, but you wouldn't have to do that with a thermostat controling it.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Night time temps

Hydrotherm! All the way! It is one of the most useful pieces of equipment, hands down. I dont use UTH for frogs, they are not heating enough for me, i use infrared lamps plugged into hydrotherm, that thing will control humidity for you too if you plug it into a fogger. You can also play around with UTH and infrared lamp with a dimmer to see what works to have correct temps, but really it is better to invest 50$ and get that controller.

And hey that is not even remotely dumb question in comparison lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information