Thread: Questions about a White Tree Frog Enclosure

Lulu140098

Default Questions about a White Tree Frog Enclosure

I'm transforming my old test tube shaped tank into a vivarium for white tree frogs, it's about 30 gallons and I've read it should provide enough space for 2 Whites because its vertical. I have some issues because this tank is round and not standard square like, for example I don't know where I should put a heat pad. I can't lift up the tank and put it underneath so should I just put it in the back? Also I have a plexiglass lid with a small notch taken out that I plan on covering with screen mesh, is this okay? Finally do I just stick the lamp right on top of the plexiglass or should I make something for it to attach to?

Any and all help would be appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Questions about a White Tree Frog Enclosure

I've never heard of a test tube shaped tank, so if you could take a picture and show it to us, that would really help. For heat, you wouldn't want a heat pad on the bottom anyways. If you get one with adhesive on it, than you can just stick on the back of the tank, right above the level of the substrate. As for the lid, for Whites Tree Frogs, you are going to want to have a lid thats about 70-80% plexi/glass and 20-30% screen. So it really depends on the size of the notch. I wouldn't recommend sticking the light directly on the plexiglass, as it might melt it, not sure. Mounting it is always preferred too. Just ask more, and we can help.

Lulu140098

Thanks! I'm going to buy a grate and cover most of it with some plexi and then use screen on the rest. I will also try and get a picture of the tank.
    I read that the temperature is cooler at night for them, should I just turn off the lamp at night time? Also would 14 watts be appropriate for them if I want to put plants in?

Nationality
    [United States]

Here's a link for a White's Tree Frog care sheet. This should answer most of your questions about care:

Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea

Turning the lamp off at night would be fine. You normally want to give your frog a 12 hours day/night cycle. As for the lamp, it really depends on several things. Most important is what type of light it is: LED, Fluorescent, compact fluorescent, incandescent, etc. And measuring light isn't just about the wattage of the light. Light bulbs emit a certain heat measured in kelvin, and I believe you want a light that's somewhere between 5700 and 6500k. I'm hoping others can chime in, because I'm no expert at lighting. Any more questions, just ask away.

Thread Information