Thread: African Dwarf Frog injured/ not eating

Iceheart123

Exclamation African Dwarf Frog injured/ not eating

Yesterday, I found my ADF, Pip, with his legs caught in the filter intake. I was able to get him out, but 3 of his toes on one if his legs are broken. I put him in a small tank with a low water level (I'll be moving him to a heated/ filtered tank as soon as I buy a decent heater.) he seems miserable and has trouble getting to the top. He didn't eat at all, despite the fact that it was Omega One Carnivore Medley, which he usually eats like candy. I just cleaned the small tank, put 1/4 teaspoon of Aquarium salt and stress coat in the tank. IS there any way I can help ease the pain? I'm worried that he will hurt his recovery by not eating and I don't like seeing him this unhappy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Dwarf Frog injured/ not eating

Sorry to hear about your frog There isn't much you can do except keeping the frog calm until the leg heals. Stress coat is an excellent water conditioner. I have been using it for many years with my ACFs. You do not need to add any salt to the water (that is used primarily for the treatment of bloating). Good luck and hope your frog gets better.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

jbmyers

I just got an ADF today, have two in my tank, I went to check on them and the new little guy looks like his leg got hurt and the webbing is ripped on his back leg. He was just floating and wouldn't kick that leg to help him swim. The other legs are working fine. What should I do? I have him in a small bowl currently but want to help him if I can and not give him back to the store to die.

Iceheart123

Unhappy Re: African Dwarf Frog injured/ not eating

Just keep him calm and quiet. You can use pedialyte baths to give him nutrients if he's not eating, but otherwise leave him alone. if you had him in a heated tank before, maybe get a small heater for the hospital tank or find a way to keep him in the large tank in a smaller container (plastic breeder box, they stick to mesh). If you keep him in the bowl, keep it in a quiet, dark area of the house so that he doesn't get agitated.

Pedialyte Bath for Aquatic Frogs

by Mac & JBOT

A Pedialyte bath may help to get nutrients (electrolytes) in aquatic frogs and possibly stimulate their appetite in those not eating well.

Use clear, unflavored Pedialyte (not at full strength!).

Procedure:

In a small frog safe container (e.g. never-seen-soap tupperware), mix 1 capful of Pedialyte with 10 capfuls of fresh, dechlorinated (or dechoraminated) water that is the same temperature as tank water's temerature. Alternatively, tank water can be used. Transfer the froggy to the bath for 1 - 2 hrs but do NOT exceed 2 hours. Floating the bath container in a (heated) tank helps to keep it warm.

Watch closely for any adverse reactions. If they start to "freak out", take them out of the bath. It helps to give them something like live plants (e.g. Java fern) in the bath to hide under, to feel more calm. Do not try to feed, while in the bath.

Additional steps: When a frog has not eaten in a long time, I have had to really coax with frozen but thawed bloodworms repeatedly to get them started again.

jbmyers

Thank you! I will have to go get pediaylte in the am. I checked on him earlier and the leg has turned white to where I think he got hurt

I only have a guppy breeding net so probably not the best for the little guy. Im afraid he is going to get cold in the shallow bowl and not the heated tank. I feel so bad since I dont know if he got hurt when the store netted him or in my tank

Iceheart123

If it's just a line, it means its broken (fuzzy/patchy means fungus). If you have something like a betta cup, you could attach it to the tank (with electrical or packing tape) and keep him warm that way (you can even put small holes in the bottom or sides so that it remains free of ammonia (the entire point of a breeder box). if you can't find anything to do that, keep his bowl in a warm area and try to find a good heater. Nat Geo for PetSmart makes good small tank heaters. Just make sure you get a thermometer as well to judge the temp, especially if you get one without an internal thermostat.

Thread Information