Thread: Should Beluga whales be kept in captivity?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Post Should Beluga whales be kept in captivity?

Hello FF, This is not concerning frogs, toads or any other form of herps right now....or yet

In my neighborhood (Vancouver & the lower mainland) Jane Goodall had mentioned how the Beluga whales at the Vancouver aquarium are in inappropriate quarters. Im not sure if Jane has ever been to the VA aquarium but the whales from my knowlege are rescues and not captured for the purpose of being a profit. The Aquarium funds conservation in marine life AND FROGS as well, I think if we were to not keep these animals in captivity we wouldn't be able to have a stable fund for the conservation of these animals, people rarely see whales realizing how beautiful and personable they can be. They are by no means pets but are a great educational tool. If the whales at the aquarium are removed, then conservation funds will decline, and other animals including anuranswill lose funding.

Im posting this because i want to know your opinion on this topic.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Should Beluga whales be kept in captivity?

Ryan, i have been to vancouver aquarium a few times, last year being the most recent.
    Vancouver aquarium does outstanding job in what they do as well attracting a lot of people and educating them, but im on a fence with that one.
    whales just like any other animal in captivity deserve adequate housing that is by no means that facility provides. I can go on for a long time, including on how mad i was seeing how they keep pacman frogs there.... Anyhow long story short, they dont want to put out an effort and money in improving facilities and quality of life of their big animals, while charging big $ for admission and behind the scenes experience. That is very wrong in my opinion.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i do not like the enclosure at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. i don't think it is large enough. but how big would be large enough for whales? it's not an easy thing to do.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Nationality
    [Canada]

usually whales require an enclosure that is immensely huge as the size of a football field. Sea world has in my opinion one of the largest enclosures for orca whales, but in my opinion is overcrowded with 2 too many whales with Shamu. they aren't an animal that can be easily kept in captivity.

Lija, I agree that their horned frog enclosure is unacceptable with the gravel, i think that they should be improving their facilities as you mentioned in space.
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

IMO 2-6 million gallons is the bare minimum to keep them happy-ish. They would probably be more happy in the wild. The aquarium near me has a 100,000 gallon aquarium with some giant sea bass and a 350,000 gallon aquarium and those even look small for some of the 10 foot sharks they have in there. But It is still really cool there

Default Should Beluga whales be kept in captivity?

Short answer, no. I don't think any marine animal larger than a dolphin should be kept in captivity (and I am still on the fence about dolphins). There is no way that we can provide them a healthy lifestyle in the small tanks they are kept in.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

To often Zoo's throw out "Conservation" as the reason for the animals they have, but fail horribly when it comes to providing adequate care and housing for them. Zoo's across america are in disrepair and in desperate need of updating, but can't afford to do it. Going to the zoo should be an educational experience for all. I was at the Kansas City Zoo this summer and had a blast with my kids, but silently was disappointed at how fake the environments looked. While we walked though the Amphibian and Reptile exhibits I told my wife that I could design enclosures more realistic than they had. The vast majority of them had fake wood and plants in the tanks. It was depressing, esp with the cost of admission and how zoos have started to charge for every little thing.

Saw a whole pen of Lions 5 - 7 of them that were all neutered prior to their manes coming in... One of the safest things I had seen in a while. OMG i could go on and on, but I won't.

Paul
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Whales should not be kept in captivity and their species be protected world wide . If a whale was rescued; it should be temporary until healed and released to wild. Sorry; but to use the argument of conservation funding (probably minimal) does not cut it for me .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm not disappointed by your decisions at all, if i were to open some sort of zoo or aquarium, i wouldn't plan on having the whales in there. (now that i know your opinion ) thanks!
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

Default Should Beluga whales be kept in captivity?

I highly recommend watching the documentary Blackfish. Granted, it is about sea world and their orcas, but I think the same applies to belugas as well. It was probably the most disturbing documentary I have watched in a very long time.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks Bill, i havent watched it, but i will.
    i think in a past 4 years 3 belugas died in that facility already and one more is suck ( cant guarantee how true this is)

Found this.... Obviously they really love belugas there... And would crump more as long as $ keeps coming.
    "In its filings to the Canada Revenue Agency in 2012, the aquarium disclosed that one staff member was paid between $250,000 to $299,000 that year. Seven other full-time employees were paid between $120,000 and $199,000."
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ive watched Blackfish and it has made my blood boil You can form your own opinions about the contreversy. But i think that the movie by CNN is misleading making me think that it emplies that sea world still captures and separates animals from their habitats and use them for profit, this was something that happened close to 40 years ago. ive done some research on what has been done at sea world and the people working there truely love the animals. There will always be risks with working with animals. Yes people have been killed by whales, many have been killed by elephants, and many have been killed by domesticated animals outside of zoos including dogs, cats and horses.

yes Lija, there have been deaths at the VA but from natural causes, two calves were born but died to heart failure, but there was a dolphin who died there of natural causes.

http://da15bdaf715461308003-0c725c907c2d637068751776aeee5fbf.r7.cf1.rackcdn.co m/adf36e5c35b842f5ae4e2322841e8933_4-4-14-updated-final-of-blacklist-list-of-inaccuracies-and-misleading-points.pdf
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

Blue

Well hello again Ryan!

I'd like to apologize ahead of time if I start ranting, whale and dolphin captivity is something I'm extremely passionate about. :P

Personally, if we're talking space, let's face it: No whale or dolphin species will EVER be in a big enough tank for it's liking. Orcas, for example, can travel 200 or so miles daily, and even in the biggest aquarium, would need to do hundreds of laps to even come close.

However, if they are going to be captive, I say their treatment and happiness is key. I personally loathe Sea World with a fiery burning rage, and think it's crazy that they even have a license to care for animals. Their poor orcas and dolphins are miserable, and bob sadly in their tanks, with no toys or enrichment items, and chew on the concrete in their tanks, damaging their teeth and leading to painful drillings. It hurts me so deeply to think that these wonderful, bright animals are being kept in such conditions.

I personally like the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. Their belugas seem relatively happy, and each time I've ever been, they're always swimming and playing. I follow them on Facebook, and they are always looking for toy and treat donations for their animals, especially the belugas. Of course, I'd prefer to see the cute lil guys swimming free in the ocean, but I can at least admire that the Shedd seems to be trying to make their animals happy.

Overall, I say belugas and all whales and dolphins belong in the wild, but if people are going to keep them captive, they best do any and everything in their power to keep them happy.

Monza geckos

In my opinion I think that animals of that magnitude should not be kept in captivity as the enclosure size would nearly match up to the amount they would explore in the wild, and also it is so cruel to keep an animal that intelligent that needs so much interaction with it's environment in a place it's not going to be able to receive it. furthermore I think it is only okay to keep animals that big in captivity if they are being bred to save their species.

Thread Information