Thread: Arachnid Keepers

crhoads18

Default Arachnid Keepers

I was wondering if there were any arachnid keepers on the forum. I have seen one other person with pictures of Tarantulas, but I was wondering if there were more. Here are some of our guys:

True Spiders
    This is Oglethorpe.

An Ant Mimic.

Here are a few of our Tarantulas.
    E. cyanognathus My baby!

H. longipes
    H. lividum
    L.violaceopes
    S. rubronitens
    L. parahybana
    N. chromatus
    C. fasciatum

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Arachnid Keepers

Wow-what a collection! I used to have a Pink-toed trantula I called Grissom, and I am kicking myself now because I gave him away to a friend several years ago and never got him back. I am actually on the hunt for another one. I really like the look of your H.longipes-beautiful colouring. Is there one you could recommend that is good for a beginner like me?

missclick

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

i can stand pretty much any 'bug' but spiders are the exception

Skulldroog

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Wow-what a collection! I used to have a Pink-toed trantula I called Grissom, and I am kicking myself now because I gave him away to a friend several years ago and never got him back. I am actually on the hunt for another one. I really like the look of your H.longipes-beautiful colouring. Is there one you could recommend that is good for a beginner like me?
    There's a well maintained pet shop near me that has one of these for sale. It's $45 for the spider + the set up he's in. I was very very tempted to buy a tarantula. They have several kinds. If you're really interested in it, I could pick it up for you and mail it to you for the price I buy it for?

There's also another pet shop near me with a HUGE collection of spiders. I don't remember off the top of my head what kinds, but they have a good 20-30 of them.

Jace

Thanks for the offer, Nate! However, I am still doing research and what not. The pet stores in my city have a very wide selection, I am just trying to decide whether I have the room for one right now. If I can ever make up my mind, I'll let you know.

Skulldroog

Thanks for the offer, Nate! However, I am still doing research and what not. The pet stores in my city have a very wide selection, I am just trying to decide whether I have the room for one right now. If I can ever make up my mind, I'll let you know.
    Yeah, I really want to get one, but I don't think my girlfriend would like me getting a spider. She HATES spiders. Lol. If you change your mind, my offer still lies on the table.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Is Ogelthorpe a Recluse? He kind of looks like one. (And is he named after Oagie Ogelthorpe from Slapshot?)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Wow! Nice spiders. They have such beautiful markings.

Eel Noob

Beautiful pictures and tarantulas.

Used to keep a few New World tarantulas and local jumping spiders. Might want to try Old World tarantulas if I do decide to keep again.

Side note one of my brother still has the Rosehair I bought him for Christmas 4 yrs ago lol.

crhoads18

We have 4 avic slings right now. I like them, but they aren't my husband's favorite. As far as the H. longipes goes, I would not recommend it as a beginner Tarantula. The only reason that she is visible in that picture is because we were unpacking/moving her into a new enclosure. They are basically an aggressive pet hole. When we went to unpack the H. lividum when we purchased her, she ran up the tongs and bit them trying to get at Will. All of our Haplopelma stay burrowed for the most part.

As a beginner spider, I would still go with the Avic avic (pink toe) or a Lasiodora parahybana (Salmon bird eater). The parahybana has been a fairly quick grower, if you were considering getting a sling instead of an adult. However, if you have time on your hands (years) to watch one grow, I would recommend something from the Brachy's, such as a smithi or boemhei. I really love the Brachy's.

One thing I would want to mention before you make a final decision on what type of Tarantula to purchase is urticating hairs that some T's kick as a defense. These cause my husband to breakout. You can remove them with scotch tape though (from you, not the T, lol).

We have a lot of slings right now that are not pictured. As far as adults go, I don't think I posted any pictures of our pokey's. We're also about to get a mature female Green Bottle Blue in (it's for my husband's birthday).

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Beautiful pictures and tarantulas.

Used to keep a few New World tarantulas and local jumping spiders. Might want to try Old World tarantulas if I do decide to keep again.

Side note one of my brother still has the Rosehair I bought him for Christmas 4 yrs ago lol.
    I have 4 jumpers right now. One of my females just laid an egg sac a few days ago.

My first T was actually a rose hair. She has already passed. However, my husband bought an adult male 5-6 years ago and it is still alive!

Quote Originally Posted by adawinters View Post
    Is Ogelthorpe a Recluse? He kind of looks like one. (And is he named after Oagie Ogelthorpe from Slapshot?)
    No, he wasn't a recluse. I think we determined he was a type of grass spider, though no one ever properly identified him for me while he was alive. He was a native spider to TN that I caught. He molted 3 times for me and then died of old age after a while. He was my favorite true spider and I miss him.

As far as his name, it is one of the Plutonians from Spacecataz (The orange one).

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by crhoads18 View Post
    As far as his name, it is one of the Plutonians from Spacecataz (The orange one).
    Aahhh. Of course.

Jace

Thanks for the info! I am rather partial to the pink-toes, so I think I might stick with one of them if I ever get another one. My fav pet store has one in right now, but it's rather pricey...and the tank I would use for it currently has a tadpole swimming around in it. Guess my decision has been made for me. But it can't stay a tadpole forever, right?!? Would you be able to post a couple of pics of your spiders setups?

Thread Information