Thread: Pacman enclosure and light questions

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Pacman enclosure and light questions

Hi, I have just acquired 10 pacman frog juveniles to try my hand at breeding them. FYI I have been breeding reptiles for 7 years, but I am new at pacman frogs. I have 3 ornates, 3 sunburst, 3 tangerine, and 1 albino.

I have read multiple care sheets including Josh's, but I still have questions because of the specifics of my setup.

1- I have not seen any information on the need for any specific lighting, is that because pacman frogs don't require any UV light at all ?

2- Can you keep a pacman in a bin/rack setup with no direct lighting except for the lights from my chams on the opposite wall?

3- Right now my frogs are young and growing so I feed them every other day with pinkies, and the other days I give 4-5 crickets or a night-crawler. They are nice and chubby and never refuse to eat. Is this a good feeding choice for young growing frogs?

4- I have them on fine coco with a cypress mulch layer at the bottom, is that good?

5- I only have a small water dish from the bottom of clay pots, is that enough?

TY for your comments, and I would really like to hear from ppl that keep dozens of these guys, breeders hopefully.

André
    AJ Reptiles
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AJReptiles.ca

20+ Ball Pythons, 40+ corns, 1 Veiled Chameleons, 20+ Amazon Milk Frogs CB, 30+ Pacman frogs CB, 14 Vietnamese Mossy Frogs CB, 3 Red Eyed Tree Frogs CB, 14 White's Tree frogs, 8 Starry night reed frogs, 1 dog, 8 kids and 4 grand kids.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pacman enclosure and light questions

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    For your questions. Ornates is a different species of pacman frog then the other frogs you got, based on colours you mentioned you have c.cranwelli., but if you post their pics we can better ID them.

1. No, pacman frog dont need UVB in fact it is very dangerous for any albino morphs to be exposed to it. They need dim light only to distinguish day and night.
    2. Yes, they can be kept like that, but each individually in a separate bin. Be careful if you are using snake racks, the heat tape cant be on a bottom, only on a side.
    3. Mice can be fed as a treat only, no more then one a month. I dont feed mice at all unless one of my snakes refuses, then it goes to fat frogs best staple is nightcrawlers that you need to cut in chunks as a distance between the eyes, crickets are not the best food out there, but good enough for the babies, just remember to dust 2xweek with ca/vit d3 and once a week multivitamin powder. Use only treated water. Check out this care sheet Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding
    as a treat you can use hormworms, silkworms, but stay away from lots of chitin containing mealworms and superworms.
    4. You dont need cypress mulch, if a frog dig down it may cause skin injury. Use plan fine coconut fiber, expanded with treated water., make sure you have shallow water bowl, change your water every day and completely change your substrate once a month.
    5 i covered that, yes these clay dishes are awesome.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ty for the info, here are pics of my bins and the frogs.

More info: they are in a unheated rack in my reptile room that is kept at 27C (80.6F). I have an 4 stages RO water filter, so they only get RO water.

Bin setup:
    Name:  AJReptiles0001.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  65.6 KB
    Name:  AJReptiles0003.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  71.2 KB
    Name:  AJReptiles0004.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  152.2 KB

Albino
    Name:  AJReptiles0002.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  198.6 KB

Ornate #1
    Name:  AJReptiles0005.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  175.8 KB

Ornate #2
    Name:  AJReptiles0006.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  243.8 KB
    Name:  AJReptiles0007.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  225.7 KB

Ornate #3
    Name:  AJReptiles0008.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  177.2 KB

Sunburst #1
    Name:  AJReptiles0010.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  202.1 KB
    Name:  AJReptiles0011.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  194.9 KB

Sunburst #2
    Name:  AJReptiles0012.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  134.3 KB

Sunburst #3
    Name:  AJReptiles0013.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  125.8 KB

Tangerine #1
    Name:  AJReptiles0016.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  187.6 KB

Tangerine #2
    Name:  AJReptiles0018.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  185.7 KB

Tangerine #3
    Name:  AJReptiles0019.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  152.0 KB

20+ Ball Pythons, 40+ corns, 1 Veiled Chameleons, 20+ Amazon Milk Frogs CB, 30+ Pacman frogs CB, 14 Vietnamese Mossy Frogs CB, 3 Red Eyed Tree Frogs CB, 14 White's Tree frogs, 8 Starry night reed frogs, 1 dog, 8 kids and 4 grand kids.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yep, ornates are C. Ornata,
    the rest C. Cranwelli, everybody are albino ( no uvb!) just different morphs.

No RO water, it is very "clean" and not suitable for frogs. They need these minerals that are in a tap water, but you need water conditioner to make it safe for them. You can use any fish tank conditioner, i use prime by seachem, cheap and lasts for a very long time.

Check this up http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...hing-else.html

and yes about the substrate, do you see these big chunks in there, if ingested it may end up badly ( impaction), and if not it will irritate their skin. Go for plain fine coconut fibre, but it had to be wet, but not mud like, in sone of the pics substrate is a bit too dry

they all are so pretty! And you can probably sex the bigger ones, they are about or over 2,5- 3", am i right?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

The ornates are between 1.5" and 2", the others are between 2" and 2.5". Not sure how old that makes them.

Thread Information