Thread: Nuptial pads

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Nuptial pads

Hi im looking into getting one of these animals and the only thing left is to try and get a female frog because the tank is in my room and i don't want to hear croaking and from what i have read the best and easiest sexing method is to check for nuptial pads so my question is are they just black pads like those of the African Clawed frog or are they different in appearance and if so please send a picture, thank you.

P.s I have looked on Google for pics but can't find any

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

xXPhasemanXx

Default Re: Nuptial pads

My Fire-Belly Toad is a female and I can tell for sure because she hasn't barked once in the couple days I've had her. I meant not once, not a peep. Firstly you should read this article, you'll learn a lot and its a good starting point. However let me point out this section.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    B. maxima can be sexed by looking at the webbing between the toes. The male of the species will have webbing that is more pronounced and completely spans the distance between the toes in an almost straight line. In females the webbing is less pronounced and arches in between the toes.

Sexing B. orientalis is more of a challenge, as the method for sexing B. maxima is not reliable since the webbing in both genders is similar. The genders are very difficult to distinguish outside of the breeding season. You may not be able to identify a female out of breeding season, but there are two methods to identify adult males. The first is the call, which sounds like a soft moan or the muffled barking of a dog, and the other is his general behavior, because most males will regularly engage their fellow terrarium residents in amplexus (the mating embrace). Without the proper conditioning of both genders, which involves a cooling period, nothing will come of this behavior.

I think I have a maxima since my Toad does not have pronounced webbing. I'll show you some pictures and you can see what my female looks like. I suggest you look for a maxima as they are easier to tell the difference.

Sorry but I know nothing of these Nupital pads as I'm literally brand new to this Toad. Hopefully this piece of information helped you somewhat though.

xXPhasemanXx

Default Re: Nuptial pads

Forgot to add the picture of my frog. Best one I could get since this was the only time she was out in the open and I don't really want to disturb her since she was put into a new habitat recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information