Thread: s.o.f (save our frogs)

Hannahhh

Default s.o.f (save our frogs)

Thank you to everyone taking the time to read this post. I appreciate it so much. I am a new member as of less than an hour ago, mostly for the purpose of trying to save my frog, dramatic as it sounds. Yes you may roll your eyes. I am sitting here worried in the AM because my fire bellied toad has been acting in what I greatly believe is a critical condition, and I just need a more experienced frog.owner's advice. I'll start listing all symptoms and observations I have, leaving nothing out. Please respond as soon as you possibly can, i will literally be waiting outside the pets store until it opens. Basically.
    1) Irish, (my fire bellied toad) hardly ever opens his eyes. This has been going on for 5 days now. When he does open his eyes, it's slightly, in a groggy looking fashion. Even then, one eye is closed while the other is partially sorta kinda open. There is no life in his eyes. Also, some kind of opaque white sub st ance covers the bottom half of his eyes. It looks like skin possibly but he isn't shedding so...
    2) So much sleeping lately. I would even call it hibernation. He doesnt move around any more. He just sleeps. If he moves, its to get into a better sleeping position. That or he is just remaining still. Either way, there isn't much movemement occuring. Sometimes, he sinks to the bottom and lays there flat with hos eyes shut. It freaks me out.
    3) Doesn't put up a fight any more when i want to hold him.
    4) Doesn't eat. I usually give him meal worms every other night, but for 4-5 nights he hasn't eaten a thing, even when i stick the thing right on his mouth. He won't even open his mouth.
    5) Hind legs are all out of sorts... Bending in strange ways... Sometimes, actually, more often than not, he just keeps hos hond legs open and doesnt move them... Like they're paralyzed.
    6) I don't remember his fingers being bent and curved but all of a sudden they are? Is this normal or is this also an odd symptom?

Thank you all SO much for taking the time to read all of this. Any response at all will be more than appreciated.
    P.s. I apologize for any typos, it's 3 a.m.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: s.o.f (save our frogs)

Hello and welcome to FF! Sorry your frog is not doing well . From your description appears frog is suffering from Metabolic Bone Disease or some other neurological condition. Please answer the below questions to better try to narrow down cause and issue, thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Hannahhh

I greatly appreciate your response. Surprisingly, my frog has made a remarkable recovery and is doing very well now. I realize I probably should've mentioned this in the forum but never got around to it. I appreciate your response greatly though, and will be sure to include this info next time! Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Glad your frog is well now. Forum has been having a few issues lately and your thread did not show up in my new post list until now .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information