Thread: HOw do u sex a Cricket Frog?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default HOw do u sex a Cricket Frog?

Ok, so I just found out that the frog I found is cricket frog. He/She is tiny! Only about one inch long. I am not sure which species of cricket frog it is, but it has a red stripe down it's back. Does anyone know how to tell if it is a male or a female. I have not heard it call yet. I found out that cricket frogs are a member of the tree frog family, though it has no toe pads; so I was thinking it may be possible to tell by the call (whether it calls or not). Any ideas guys? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: HOw do u sex a Cricket Frog?

Good luck on this one. Found nothing using google. All I can really say is that if it stays in a smaller size then it is most likely male, but if it grows to a larger size for a cricket frog then its probably female. Not sure if the males thumbs are different than a females like most frogs as you would need a magnifying glass to find that out. I also think that their stripe or patterns on their back would be different between the sexes, although I have seen cricket frogs with brown, red, green, and sometimes no stripe on their backs. Also tend to see some with triangles on their heads. They are also very difficult to handle due to their small size. Although I think a female are more likely to have the stripe on their back then the males, but I don't think that has been confirmed with this species or not.

4. This member thanks crazy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HOw do u sex a Cricket Frog?

Yea, I have not found anything on Google about it yet either, but I did notice I have only one frog out of the 10 that calls daily. As a matter of fact, he is the only one that calls at all. They are so cute though. They tend to hang out in little clusters together near the pond I put in the tank for them. I will be adding a piece of plexiglass this weekend to give them a deeper swimming hole because right now they are using a shallow tote box as a pond. Well, if I have all females and only one male, I may end up with lots of babies next spring. If I do I will post it here and anyone that wants one, just let me know. I will post pics of them soon. Thanks for the tips. It is amazing how none of the frogs have the same pattern, as a matter of fact, if I did not know any better, I would say they were not even from the same species, lol. The only way you can tell is the markings on their mouths and hind legs!

Thread Information