Thread: White spots on abf

Nationality
    [United States]

Default White spots on abf

My male abf recently acquired these white spots on his nose. I suppose it could be from bumping the walls on his enclosure or scraping on the half logs but I'm not so sure. Does this look like a skin problem?

1. Size of enclosure? A 3x1.5 wooden box lined with plastic.

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences? Just him.

3. Humidity? Ranges from 50%-80%. Usually on the higher side.

4. Temperature? Ranges 74°-87°

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish? A plastic rectangle dish. It's roughly 13" x 6" x 2".

6. Materials used for substrate? Coco coir and peat moss. All mixed with stale water.

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv? I recently upgraded him from a plastic storage container of about 2'x1'x1' to this larger enclosure made of wood that's 3'x2x2'. There's 2 pothos plants and 1 spider plant, 2 half logs and a couple fake plants.

8. Main food source? Earth worms, super worms and dubia roaches.

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often?) Both every week alternating the 2.

10. Lighting? A 3' fluorescent light.

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure? A che.

12. When is the last time he/she ate? I feed him every other day and he still has a good appetite.

13. Have you found poop lately? Within the last week.

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. Just the spots on the head

16. How old is the frog? Maybe 1

17. How long have you owned him/her? Only a couple months.

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred? I assume captive bred because i bought him from a pet store.

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats? I have a colony of dubia roaches that i feed off of regularly. I order superworms online and dig up earth worms to feed weekly. He gets all 3 pretty evenly. I buy 24 crickets monthly that he eats on one sitting. I plan to buy some hornworms in the future.

20. How often the frog is handled? I put him in his empty water dish to feed him every other day.

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area? Low traffic.

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) i change the water when it needs it, usually daily or every other day, i spray it with a water bottle 3-4 times a day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White spots on abf

Has it been jumping into the walls of the tank? Its tank rub. Usually caused by stress.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's solid walls now that he cannot see through. He does do it a couple times when I'm poking around his enclosure but not enough to rub off skin.

Nationality
    [Canada]

What kind of water you are using exactly? Something is stressing him out if he constantly does it. It might be just an attitude lol mine did it once, ended up with nose rubs too
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

No, he does not constantly jump at the sides, just when I'm messing around in his enclosure, and only a couple times at that. I use tap water that's been out for over 24 hours then i treat it with water conditioner bought from lllreptile.com. the water i spray him with is just stale water that I leave out for 24 hours.

Nationality
    [Canada]

No, dont ever use any water that is treated, unless it is bottled spring water. You can use any water conditioner, my favourite is prime fish stuff.

im pretty sure he is just giving you an attitude, like get out of my pond or else lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I think you're misunderstanding the situation. He is not giving me any attitude or trouble, I'm just worried about the white spots on his head. They don't look like they're from rubbing against the wall because of where they're located so i was just wondering if it could be a skin infection or something? And i don't use treated water, i use tap then treat it with water conditioner.

Nationality
    [United States]

In order to rub his face that raw he has been slamming into the walls of his enclosure or against something in his tank. Setting water out for 24 hours is not enough. 48 hours will remove chlorine, but it is safer to just buy a dechlorinating agent like Prime and treat the water with it. Takes very little Prime to treat a gallon of water.

You need to figure out what is causing his stress before he seriously hurts himself.

Thread Information