Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Frogs

lnaminneci

Default Re: New to Frogs

It looks like "Niko" might be female. It is the green one. Here's a close up pic. What do ya'll think? May have to change the name to "Nicollete".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jace

From the pic I would say Niko is a girl-quite a beauty, too. I think Niko sitll works for her and it goes well with Pako!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by lnaminneci View Post
    Hmmmm......anyone want to take a guess at mine?
    I would, but my imagination would get me into a lot of trouble.

lnaminneci

Looks like I've narrowed it down to Exo Terra Terrarium 18x18x24 with natural rock background. Found one on sale!!

Live plants I would like to plant:
    iceplant, leatherleaf fern, macodes petola, wandering jew 'red', neoregelia scarlet or grace, pilea 'baby tears', philodendrons, peacock spike moss, leucobryum glaucum, and possibly a sprinkle of red lichen for interest.

I like the assortment of textures, colors, and variety. I also would like river rock leading to a "bathing area". And a few climbing and hiding places built in. Playing with different ideas. What do you think?

Since it looks like I have 2 girls....I'm gonna look for a boyfriend for them.

Jace

Sounds like a great idea for a setup. I can't wait to see pics of it when it is done. Lucky little frogs! Is the backgound a styrofoam type? My exo-terra came with one and I ended up taking it out as the crickets would hide behind it and the poor frogs would never get a meal. Otherwise, I love these terriariums.

lnaminneci

It does. One of the features that sold me on it, because the froggies would have another climbing feature. I will have to watch for a cricket hiding problem.

That leads me to a cricket question. How long do crickets live? I have had a few die after a day, in a roomy container with just 20 crickets plenty of room for them, with an apple slice, small piece of bread, and some droplets of water (so they won't drown). And a piece of egg crate to climb on. So why do you think they are dying ?

Kurt

I would use slice orange or criket gel for the crickets moisture requirements.

Jace

I use cricket jelly for the moisture-it looks like blue jello. As for them dying, I am having the same problem. I usually lose about 1/2 of my stash before they are used as food. I can't figure out what the heck I am doing wrong; enough live to feed my frogs but I feel like I'm wasting money sometimes.

Kurt

I also noticed it depends on who you buy crickets froms. In April, I bought a case from Komodo Reptile. The crickets last over two months! Not a single loss. I do lose a few with my regular supplier, but not enough to warrant changing vendors. I would mail order from Komodo (I buy from them at shows), but I hate being at the mercy of FedEx or who else they ship with.

lnaminneci

I just got some Total Bites - 3 in one food (will feed,water,and gutload in one easy step). I'm going to use it for my crickets and see if it helps with mortality rates, until the frogs eat them of course.

lnaminneci

Today I was moving a big pot on my patio, and guess what was hiding behind it?

Two more Pacific Chorus frogs!!! Both are green, and one of them is really big. I'm hoping there's a male there. They are shyer than the other two I have, so I couldn't get a good look at their necks. I'm on the 3rd floor, it's just amazing how these little guys climb up here, they must really like my plants!

So it looks like now I might have 3 green frogs and 1 brown frog. 2 of them I know are girls.

Now I just have to get the terrarium set up for them, bought a bunch of plants for it today. And then the tricky part will be catching the little frogs. Wish me luck!!!

Kurt

I'm on the 3rd floor, it's just amazing how these little guys climb up here. Wish me luck!!!
    I would be more impressed if were talking about turtles. Good luck!

lnaminneci

UPDATE:

I now have 4 Pacific Chorus Frogs. Just caught them all today from my plants outside. I did not realize I should have caught them sooner. lol I thought they would just hang out as they had been.

Luckily Paul told me to catch them NOW (ASAP) before they leave! I have them in a plastic Tub I frantically got today and cut out the top with mesh.

Three I have confirmed are girls! (1 brown "Pako" and 2 green "Niko" and I will have to name the other one) The 4th one was the biggest and the hardest to catch and very strong. It is very, very dark colored green/brown, almost deep evergreen to a slight black color. It will not come out of hiding, so I don't know if it's male or female. I'm crossing my fingers for a MALE!!

I posted new pics taken today in my albums. It only shows the 3 females and not the one hiding. Please excuse my hastily made temp. housing for them.

Paul Rust

That is a great temporary setup. I'm glad you got them.

lnaminneci

Thank goodness there is a Target right down the street. Bought the tub, and I already had the mesh and moss.
    I threw it together so fast I only have the screen taped on. lol I couldn't staple it on. Should I super glue it? or just leave it be?

Paul Rust

Thank goodness there is a Target right down the street. Bought the tub, and I already had the mesh and moss.
    I threw it together so fast I only have the screen taped on. lol I couldn't staple it on. Should I super glue it? or just leave it be?
    No!!! Cyanoacrylate glue fumes might harm them. Just tape it securely.

Kurt

Not if you let it cure before it came any where near them.

lnaminneci

Yeah. That's why I just used tape real quick. I didn't think you should use super glue, read it some where about not supergluing airplants to wood to be used in a terrarium b/c could harm the frogs.

Thanks guys.

Now I just need to find out the sex of the 4th frog. If I end up with 4 FEMALES, I'm going to have to go frog hunting for a MALE!!! Where are all the MALES when you need one!!! lol

Paul Rust

LOL, yes Kurt.
    I was concerned that she might glue it while they were in the container. Kurt is correct though, if you are making something and glue it with super glue it will be fine once cured.

Kurt

Now I just need to find out the sex of the 4th frog. If I end up with 4 FEMALES, I'm going to have to go frog hunting for a MALE!!! Where are all the MALES when you need one!!! lol
    Watching sports.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information