Thread: Canned food

Danielle01

Default Canned food

Is it okay for my pacman frog to eat canned grass hoppers? I am waiting for the night crawlers to arrive at PetSmart and they won't be coming for another two weeks. Was wondering if this would be a good food item as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Canned food

You could try if trained to eat from tongs; but recommend remove the hard legs off. Any Walmarts or bait shops around? You can get not dyed live Night Crawlers and feed them those. Cut them from pointy end, mouth size for babies, body length for juvies to 3 in. and full size for adults. NCs are the best food for Pacmans and should be it's staple .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Danielle01

Thanks for the advice and I did but some canned grass hoppers yesterday and no go. Chubbs did not want them at all and he even backed away from them although he does hear live crickets I usually feed him every third day. I did go to a walmart and they are out half the time employees don't even know what I am talking about when I ask about their night crawlers. I will see if I can find some bait shops near me and if not will either wait for walmart to have them or I will have to wait with PetSmart. I am a little worried he won't take them. I got him from PetSmart he was a decent size he can fit on top of a soda can. He was fed crickets and the occasional pinky. I adopted him from PetSmart they said he wasn't selling because he was getting too big as they had him in a small critter carrier and I felt bad because nobody wanted him plus he ate their juvenile Chinese water dragon and I want to add variety to his diet so if he doesn't take night crawlers I may have to stick with crickets and the occasional pinkie. I do dust the crickets and they are gut loaded just wod like for him to take other insects as well

Nationality
    [United States]

The thing with getting Pacmans to eat different varieties I think is to 1)movement, 2) familiarity, and situationally, 3) desperation.

I got my pacman while he was still fairly small in his critter keeper, so I was more easily able to switch him to nightcrawlers; but since you've noted that he is quite big and his diet consisted of primarily crickets and occasional pinkie, it would be hard to get him to try nightcrawlers without starving him a few days. Luckily for me I had fed him crickets on his first two feedings in my possession (every 2 days). But when I wanted to introduce nightcrawlers I waited 3 days to feed him, before going back to the normal every other day schedule.

If you go a few days without feeding him, and can successfully get him to eat one worm on the next feeding, you can feed him more very easily.

Danielle01

Ok thanks I will try that for sure when I do get night crawlers I will try it out and if he doesn't take it at first will wait and try the next day or so and wait for him to get hungry enough to take it

Nationality
    [United States]

Yup. Some Pacmans aren't too picky when it comes to food and if it's been long enough since their last feeding, they won't fuss too much about what they're being given to eat. They'll eat anything that moves (Keropi has had the pleasure of trying to nip my hand before as I moved it across the front glass of his tank to clean off excess moisture).

Danielle01

Yeah Chubbs hasn't lunged at me yet when either Walmart or PetSmart come in with night crawlers I will try feeding him one on his feeding day if he doesn't take it then I will wait a day or so and try again.

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't ask employees at Walmart. Go straight to their sports area and look for the bait refrigerator. Grab one of the containers labeled as night crawlers and you are good to go. Do not buy red wrigglers; they taste foul and the frog will probably stop eating all worms.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Danielle01

Thanks for the info everybody I did try red wigglers once but he backed away from them I will check out Walmart again soon and yeah I won't be calling walmart and asking on account of most of the time employees ask me what is a night crawler haha

Thread Information