Thread: Help me setup fbt tank!

Fbt123

Default Help me setup fbt tank!

Ok, i have just cleared my fbt tank. It was originally half water, half land, but without a divider, which i need to get. Now, here are the questions:

1. What can i use as a divider and how can i keep it in place. What material should i use?
    2. My tank is 45x45x45cm, can i house any more frogs (i have two in already)
    3. I am going to be planting plants in the tank, but i want them to look exotic. Ive already got a creeping fig, but i would like more plants that look nicer than that. Ive researched good plants to go with fbts but they all look quite boring, so if anyone can suggest any good plants, that would be well appreciated. Bare in mind i live in the UK.
    4. Im thinking of using abg mix, as this is good for plants. Underneath I'm putting gravel as the drainage substrate, but i don't know how to remove water from it when its full. Also, what type of mesh should i use to separate the soil and gravel.
    5. As I'm getting more (hopefully) exotic plants, what light should i use. I want it to be cheap but good (preferably not over 20 pounds).
    6. How will i clean the substrate? Ive heard springtails are good for this but im not allowed to get them lol.

any pics of your setups and explanations about how you did them would be great! Thanks for helping

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

1. You need to seal it in with 100% silicone. Now, this is important. you just need to run one bead on each side of the divider. Allow it to cure fully (24 hours minimum, could take longer) then fill up your water section and see if you have leaks. If you have a leak: DO NOT just add more silicone, it will NOT seal. If you have leaks, tear it apart, clean everything up. All silicone must be removed and do the procedure again. Silicone will not stick to silicone, this is why it has to be done in one step.

2. You can probably add a pair more into the enclosure. Make sure you quarantine them for 30 days before adding them.

3. For more exotic plants, look for plants for dart frog enclosures. I know there are a few dart frog suppliers in the uk, just not sure who they are. There was a thread started around here somewhere listing suppliers in the uk. Keep in mind that the more "exotic" you go, the more the plants will cost.

4. A simple piece of aquarium tubing placed in the tank before substrate is added will allow you to drain the excess water. Again, there are a few threads about that subject in the Viv section, you just need to find them.

5. Lighting can be any type fixture you can afford, but the bulbs need to be in the 6500k color temp range for optimum plant growth.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Fbt123

Default Re: Help me setup fbt tank!

Thanks Bill. Can i use acrylic as the divider? Also where would the aquarium tubing go? Would i put it coming out of the top, this would mean id have to siphon the water
    Is a 24w light enough? I found a cheap one on dartfrog.co.uk. Would i need the biovital version? This is the link to it, its the top first one on the list
    http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/equipment/dulux24.html

Fbt123

Im thinking ill get these plants:

Anthurium mini
    Miniature praying plant
    Fittonia argyroneura nana
    Spathiphyllum quatro
    Asplenium nidas

Is there any bromeliads that aren't required to be attached to wood because they look very nice.

Fbt123

Also, how would moss spores work?

Acrylic will work fine. The procedure is the same. Yes, the tubing has to come out and the part outside of the tank needs to be lower than the bottom of the tank to be able to create a siphon. The standard light on that list is fine as long as the color temp is the same. From what I read the bio vital version includes uv light, which isn't really necessary.

The anthurium and spathiphyllum are going to grow way too big for the size tank you have. The asplenium fern will be fine, but will probably need regular trimming.

Moss spores are spread throughout the enclosure and as long as the proper humidity is kept in the tank and the spore are kept moist, you will have moss grow in a few weeks/months.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Fbt123

Ok, so that would mean id have to make a hole in the viv for the tubing? Also, can you recommend any good plants as im quite confused as to which one id chose

You need to make a hole in the lid.

As far as plants, I'm going to save myself a lot of time and typing by referring you to this thread:
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=30313

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Fbt123

So the tubing will come out the top? Sorry about the questions im trying to get as much info as possible so i dont mess up the plants i get lol. Would i be able to get a bromeliad as some of them look great

Yes, the tube comes out of the top of the tank. No need to drill any glass. You can always get a brom, just keep in mind that even the smallest ones grow to about 12" across. So about 30cm or so?

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Fbt123

That should be alright, im getting one to fill up some space in the viv, so 30cm is fine. It will also provide cover for the toads. Also, i have a huge mesh enclosure (80cmx45cm ish) which i used to keep stick insects in. Would this be ok to put treefrogs in, if im allowed them. It is very good for keeping humidity high.

Fbt123

Wait, would i have to suck the water out of the drainage layer? Also is it ok if i use woodlice from my garden to put in the substrate? Are these things good to go into the substrate:
    cocofibre
    orchid bark
    oak leaves

do i need anything else?

Thread Information