Thread: FBT Not Feeling Well/Sore on Nose

WakeUpLate

Exclamation FBT Not Feeling Well/Sore on Nose

My FBT That I've had for 8 months now is feeling ill.

He seems to have a rather medium sized blotch on his right nostril. I've included a photo.

He is in a 29 gal tank with his mate (I think it is atleast, and it must know that something is wrong because they are both hanging out under a log hut)
    as well as 2 other ones that I just purchased a couple weeks ago.

He ate 1 cricket yesterday, but I don't believe he ate one today.

Tank is set up with a paint roller pan in half the tank with water (tap de-chlorinated), with fish tank gravel on the other half. Water is misted on the gravel area 2x a day. Water in pan is sucked out with a vacuum every 2 days and replaced. Gravel is washed in almost boiling water every week to 2 weeks. Note: I have never had a problem with any of them in the setup.

Medium sized crickets are fed the orange flukers and oats.

Never had a problem with malnutrition.

Anyway, the FBT is kinda digging a little hole for himself under the log hut thing and flattening himself out in it. His buddy is sitting very, very close to him.

He is not entirely listless, though he will let me pick him up without too much of a fight. Normally he would freak the f out when I went to pick him up. He was in the water for a while the other day, but now he just wants to lay flat in the hut. He just shed I think, he was almost black like 5 days ago, and now he is green again. But now this grey blob appeared on his nose. Any advice would be appreciated, I don't have the 35 dollars to spend on a vet visit until next Weds. but I really don't want to let him die. I have some cash to purchase anything I would really need to make him better, just unsure if it is a cut or bruise, or fungal or bacterial. Should I quarantine him? I have a smaller 5 gal tank I can put him in if its infectious. Anyway, please let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WakeUpLate

Default Re: FBT Not Feeling Well/Sore on Nose

Thanks for all the replies...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I apologize that you never got a response, threads tend to get missed when they're posted on the weekend. I did see this but did not reply as I'm not sure what the cause/treatment would be and didn't want to give bad advice. Personally, I'd probably take him to the vet as bad as that spot looks, but others here may have better advice.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Default FBT Not Feeling Well/Sore on Nose

So sorry about your little guy, it's so frustrating when we haven't a clue on how to help them As Amy said, I would take him to the vet. If that is not an option at the moment, try and see if a local reptile/amphibian store has a knowledgable staff member or owner. NOT Petsmart, no offense to any of the staff, but I've gotten terrible advice from there. Still, your best option is to take him to the vet. In the mean time, you should certainly quarantine him, and of you'd like to be extra safe (for the sake of your other guys) I would quarantine them as well. As safe as we are with our enclosures, there is still always potential for environmental issues.

As far as the sore itself, I'm not sure what to make of it. Does it look like a bite, burn, or just infection? Is there puss? Also, do you let the pebbles COMPLETELY cool before adding them back in the viv? And are your crickets the appropriate size for your FBT's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would eliminate the pebbles completely. There is always a chance of them eating one and getting impacted. Either use bigger stones that will not fit in the mouth, or a different substrate entirely.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Default FBT Not Feeling Well/Sore on Nose

I agree with Amy on this one. I always steer clear from small pebbles for this reason. I like to use small river rocks for safety, and I think they look much nicer than pebbles anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information