Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000+ questions :)

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default 1000+ questions :)

All right, all right... Here we go. but Paul, it is so not going to help you with your addiction lol

1. Im about to order a tank for my 6 peacock frogs and i have a stand that would accommodate 32x14 footprint and im thinking to do 24" height - go for it or bigger? I can get a price of wood to put on top of a stand for bigger footprint if needed., not too much bigger though to keep it stable, 14" depth kinda seems too narrow. It is going to be a custom tank, so i can do whatever specification i can think of. And sliding doors, cos i hate top opening, what height of a glass should i do in front up to sliding doors, 7" for false bottom and stuff is ok?
    i wanna do water pond and water feature, they seem to love siting in their water and pooping in there too.
    I can get 36x18x24 tank with sliding doors - is it better, or go custom? Doesn't matter for me, but the one i can get now, i can also start now lol you know how it goes lol or i need to wait for a week until custom is done, but i will have new and exactly how i need.
    Pls advise

2. I got a aquascape 90gph pond pump with adjustable flow - ok? Since they are going to poop in their water should i return that pump and get a a filter? And if so which one?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would say get as big as you can fit and afford. As far as door height on a custom, the tank builder would probably be better to advise on door size and such since they will have to build in ventilation. Make sure they drill for a misting system if you plan on using one.

Depending on the size tank, and size of water feature, the pump you have will probably be adequate, but, why not have a bulkhead installed in the bottom portion and use a sump? You can even grow aquatic plants in the sump to increase bio filtration and improve water quality. Kind of like a reef tank refugium. You can have a water return bulkhead fitted as well.

I could go on and on, but you really need to decide on the tank and layout first. I think I gave you enough to think about to start off with.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: 1000+ questions :)

No, i dont exactly wanna use sump, im not that advanced.... Yet and idea of having an extra tank for that is giving me a headache.
    in that case do i have options of filter? I kinda like my pump and that i can adjust flow. Can i do a pump for water feature and some kinda internal filter hidden under false bottom for filtration? I do need filtration do i?

Misting system, you mean actual misting system ( mistking) or fogger? My mistking goes on max already, dont want to buy another one, fogger i can do, but do i need to?

Ultimately i would love not to drill glass and keep it as is.

Tank builder is the last person to ask for advise he will build whatever i need, but other then that... Im going to have screen top in any case ( partially covered im assuming), close to no ventilation from the front, crack between sliding doors, and that is it.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Absolutely you can use just the pump. Water will be filtered as it runs through the substrate. You can add an additional submersible filter, just remember to build an access for it for maintenance. The same also goes for the pump.

You don't really need a misting system or fogger. You can do like I do, hand mist every day.

If you are going to do a 36Wx18Dx24H, then I would say have the doors made to be no smaller than 16". That gives you 6" at the bottom for water supply, 16" of doors and an extra 2" to play with.

And you know you want a sump!! Lol

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Just a thought, but with a sump, you could do filtration and heating in the sump tank and you would not need to place any equipment under your false bottom.. right?

That is correct Michael.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

That would be awful handy, so long as the bottom of the tank is not tempered glass. =)

You could still drill low on the side for a sump. There are a lot of advantages to a sump, but they can be a pita to set up. It's getting that right overflow/return rates set right. That's the pain. But the advantages outweigh that. You can heat the sump instead of the tank. Water changes are much easier, removing excess water is easier. If you plant your sump with live plants, you increase your biological filter to a ridiculous size, but mostly, you don't have to worry about accessing any mechanical parts inside the tank, leaving you a lot more room for the frogs.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    And you know you want a sump
    hell yeah lol you know me well but one step at a time! From plain nice tanks to tree frogs to sump and then what? Reef tanks? Would need to buy a new house, one for us, another for the hobby lol

Will go look at that tank i was talking about tomorrow, if not good, then will order.

14" deep -too small to play around, right?

What do you mean by use substrate as a filter? How? Im not exactly sure how im going to do it yet, my understanding: water output - run down to the pond - back to the pump that is located in the opposite side of tank - tube - back to square one. Wrong?

I got a gift from my other half yesterday - waterfall black foam like great stuff but black, he was sooo proud of himself, that thing was like 20$ bit much i must say, but oh well, wont refuse lol

Nationality
    [Canada]

You could still drill low on the side for a sump. There are a lot of advantages to a sump, but they can be a pita to set up. It's getting that right overflow/return rates set right. That's the pain. But the advantages outweigh that. You can heat the sump instead of the tank. Water changes are much easier, removing excess water is easier. If you plant your sump with live plants, you increase your biological filter to a ridiculous size, but mostly, you don't have to worry about accessing any mechanical parts inside the tank, leaving you a lot more room for the frogs.

what is a sump? I mean i know in theory, it is a tank that is getting water pumped in and out, usually placed under the main tank and for advanced fish tank people, that wasnt ever applied to me
    Is it ultimately fish tank without fish?

You can laugh now

Nationality
    [United States]

I've looked in to it, it does seem to have a lot of advantages, you can basically double your water volume with it. I always think about the work involved and I picture a flooded house.

You are talking to a guy who started his canister once and did not lock the clamps down.... =)

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    hell yeah lol you know me well but one step at a time! From plain nice tanks to tree frogs to sump and then what? Reef tanks? Would need to buy a new house, one for us, another for the hobby lol

Will go look at that tank i was talking about tomorrow, if not good, then will order.

14" deep -too small to play around, right?

What do you mean by use substrate as a filter? How? Im not exactly sure how im going to do it yet, my understanding: water output - run down to the pond - back to the pump that is located in the opposite side of tank - tube - back to square one. Wrong?

I got a gift from my other half yesterday - waterfall black foam like great stuff but black, he was sooo proud of himself, that thing was like 20$ bit much i must say, but oh well, wont refuse lol
    don't you dare become a stinking reefer!! LOL

14" is kind of tough to create a real sense of depth, but it can be done.

ok, the substrate as a filter thing: the pump pushes the water to a starting point, the water runs through a channel to a pond. if you build the substrate up around the pond, the water needs to pass through the substrate to circulate back to the pump, hence being filtered, just like a natural water table. simple really

that pond foam is neat, but highly over priced in my opinion. but cool that the other half bought you a gift for the new tank!!!
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

what is a sump? I mean i know in theory, it is a tank that is getting water pumped in and out, usually placed under the main tank and for advanced fish tank people, that wasnt ever applied to me
    Is it ultimately fish tank without fish?

You can laugh now
    no laughing. it's kind of an abstract concept really. but think of a sump this way; it's a much larger, open concept of a canister filter. that's kind of the bare bones of it.
    water leaves the tank, enters the sump (the canister), and is filtered by numerous ways. you can use foam blocks, live plants, offset eggcrate panels that you grow algae on, filter floss, bio balls, ect. then you pump it back to the tank. it increases water volume, making it easier to stabilize water chemistry.

and yes, i guess you could romanticize it by calling it a fishless fish tank. but then again, i keep a 30g planted tank just for growing plants. no fish. so, i guess then there's the question of when is a fishless fishtank a sump lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I've looked in to it, it does seem to have a lot of advantages, you can basically double your water volume with it. I always think about the work involved and I picture a flooded house.

You are talking to a guy who started his canister once and did not lock the clamps down.... =)
    michael, you just have to build it properly. special overflows used in aquatic tanks or limited intakes on vivs. imagin a 4" water level. you drill your hole at say, the 2" level. put a 90 degree fitting out of the bulkhead, then a screened pipe that stops at roughly 4". as long as the water level is above the pipe, water flows in, if the water drops below the pipe, no flow, no flood.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Bill,
    can you please explain for challenged people what you just wrote lol like 2+2 type of thing lol like how can you build substrate around pond that would work like a filter. I do understand pump to the starting point part though and running down to the pond thing too, but then it should go back to the pump under false bottom. So where the heck is a substrate? I feel so dumb right now lol

Bill,
    can you please explain for challenged people what you just wrote lol like 2+2 type of thing lol like how can you build substrate around pond that would work like a filter. I do understand pump to the starting point part though and running down to the pond thing too, but then it should go back to the pump under false bottom. So where the heck is a substrate? I feel so dumb right now lol
    give me a few minutes, i want to take a few pics of the steam punk tank and you will see exactly what i am talking about.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

This started out ......... very entertaining.
    Now, I'm anxious and nervous for Lija- this is a lot of pressure.
    Now I have Queen lyrics banging around in my head.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Haha Lynn! She'll get it, she's a smart cookie! Smarter than I. If I can understand it, she definitely will!!

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Ok, here's my pond:

Notice, there is nothing in there but substrate. Here it is from the front, sort of a "behind the scenes view":

The white stripe on the left is my eggcrate. The water passes through the substrate, to the pump, which is on the left of the eggcrate, under the false bottom. As the water is drawn through the substrate, to the left, it goes through all that substrate, essentially filtering it. Make a bit more sense now? There are no open spots for water for just flow under the substrate freely. I force it all through the substrate as an extra bio filter.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah right, no pressure lol i knew you gonna have fun. Bill as far as smart cookie goes i m still trying to get what the heck you are talking about above lol. Gimme operate on smbody instead, im sure it is easier

oh i know! i have an awesome plum wine in a fridge, that can totally help understand!

And by the way im not even at question n10 yet lol and i havent even started actually making anything.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information