Thread: My first paludarium build for painted reed frogs - advice needed please

Shell

Default My first paludarium build for painted reed frogs - advice needed please

Hi everyone,

There was a nice sized tank lying at the back of my brothers new house so I've nicked it and have started turning it into a painted reed frog home for my nephew. I can find much info on reed frog (African painted) tanks so any advice will be gratefully received. I'm in the middle of making the waterfall and rocks out of styrofoam/kaylite and expanding foam.. polyurethane.. is this the correct stuff to use? I have seen others use it in their how to build tutorials online but I really want to make sure its not going to poison them. I plan to cover all with grout, acrylic paint then I have to seal it with something but I'm not sure what to use. I'm sure varnish is not the right thing, so what do I use? The local pet shop has florescent tube grow lights which help plants in aquariums grow.. will this work for the frog tank? Also I want to put in night lighting so they can be watched while active, but I need a light that they cant see. Was thinking of putting in blue leds.. can frogs see blue light? Luckily as these frogs occur naturally here I don't have to bother with heating. The next issue is that meal worms, flightless fruitflies and crickets cannot just be bought from a store in Zimbabwe. I can see I'm going to have to get creative. Also we don't get springtails here in Zim, or that I know of, but we do get pillbugs. which are the same size and do the same thing as springtails.. we actually call these silverfish here but I guess they arent the same thing exactly. Does anyone know if they will be ok to have in the tank instead? All feedback from you experienced viv builders would be great thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey Shell, I'm going to address the build aspects of your post. I don't have any experience with the reed frogs you plan to keep, but I'll do some research tonight to get some ideas of what you are dealing with. Luckily, you didn't ask many species specific questions, which makes this an easier post to write while at work. Polyurethane expanding foam is 100% safe once it cures fully. When using grout, make sure you use non-sanded grout and expect to use many, many thin layers, allowing each layer plenty of cure time in between coats. This should help prevent cracking in the grout. A sealer is tough to recommend because I have zero idea of what products you have available to you in your country. I lean towards marine epoxy. It's a little more costly, but it dries clear and is amphibian safe. I would stay away from varnishes, but only due to their drying with yellow tint. If you can find a latex based, clear acrylic paint, then that would be ok. Here in the US, I also use a clear spray paint formulated for plastics. Krylon fusion. Maybe you guys have something similar there?

Florescent tubes work just fine for vivariums and the plants inside, provided they are the right color temp: 6500-6700k. The blue led lights work for night viewing. Most frogs do not see blue light.

As far as the microfauna, I really cannot help there. Maybe a local university there has an entomology dept? A polite email to someone there may point you in the proper direction?

Hope i was helpful in some way and any other questions, feel free to ask.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Shell

Default Re: My first paludarium build for painted reed frogs - advice needed please

Thanks Bill, your help has been invaluable and really appreciate it. I'm glad i'm on the right track.. lets see how I get on, I'll probably be back with more questions as I negotiate this build Thanks again

Shell

Default Re: My first paludarium build for painted reed frogs - advice needed please

Name:  waterfall 1a (Small).JPG
Views: 283
Size:  96.5 KBName:  waterfall 1b (Small).JPG
Views: 331
Size:  97.9 KB Here's an update. This is my first fake rock, a waterfall, which has had its first layer of dark grey grout, and is drying. It was time consuming but easy to do. A combination of polystyrene and expandafoam. It's going to look good when all the colours are done. I have to say the polystyrene gives a better real rock look and so I'm thinking of getting a sheet of it for the entire background rather than my original idea of using expandafoam. It'll definitely be easier and I could start with a thick piece and carve it thinner with the occasional overhang, and varying the thickness for a natural rock face. I've seen it suggested to seal it with PVA wood glue. It dries clear. Would this be safe to use in the paludarium?

Looks incredible shell! Wood glue will seal it. I did a grout background on my 125 way back when, but the wood glue I used to seal it with cured with a yellow tint. I never did like it. Personally, I prefer 2 part epoxies for anything that will have water running on it. It's a lot tougher and doesn't submit to erosion as easily as other compounds. Of course, that's only if you have it available to you.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Shell

Thanks Bill I'll def have a look around for epoxy. I have wood glue in my art room..might do a mini rock to test it on and see the colours etc. Can't wait for the finished tank!!

NatureLady

I used drylok on my waterfall and you can tint it with any color of non toxic acrylic paint.

Not sure if drylok is available in Zimbabwe Amanda lol

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

NatureLady

Oh dang sorry.

:P

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

NatureLady

For the record I can't see where people are from on tapatalk

It's in the first post silly. Her hee

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Shell

Doubt it too, but thanx Amanda if anyone knows the content/ingredients in drylok, that might help as Africa wont use the same brand names as the US

NatureLady

Oh Bill thanks. Thanks for proving that my speed reading of posts in off kilter today.

Shell

I'll just google it haha

Lol shell, I'm not sure of it's contents, but here in the states, it is used as a waterproofing paint.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

18. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Shell

We get drylok here.. imagine that!! So what type is best? should it be clear or white or is there a specific type that works best?

If you're using it for a water feature, clear.

And I am never going to hear the end of this from Amanda!! Lol

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Shell

Ok great thanx.. lol

NatureLady

Whahaha! Lol

I could only find white, which is why I had to tint it to my color choice.

23. This member thanks NatureLady for this post:

Thread Information