Thread: Toad eye problem?

Politoed

Question Toad eye problem?

Hello! I've been on this forum a couple of times, and it's helped me out a lot! I'm a highschool student wanting to be a herptologist, so I've been doing research and all. My whole life I've always been into wildlife, but amphibians and reptiles take a bigger section in my heart. <3

Anyway, I was wondering if any one could help me out.

Yesterday, taking my dogs through a trail at the dog park, my mom spotted a toad. There's been smaller american toads out lately as it's been mating season, and there's ponds fenced off next to the park, but this girl was way bigger, medium size. When I got down to look at her, her left eye was fully shut. No wonder she didn't hop away! She couldn't see me! Though she soon became active when I went to pick her up.

I felt bad for her, and I couldn't just leave her on the trails with an injured eye with dogs of all sizes walking past her, because if she moved, she'd end up in someone's mouth, and maybe make the dog sick. And I couldn't toss her over the fence, because well, I don't want to hurt her even more. So I took her home instead.

Once home, I gave her a luke-warm, fresh water soak to remove some dirt and sand, and to try and clean her eye if there was something caught in it. A couple hours later, it ended up opening, but only halfway. You can see her eye, (yellow colour and pupil) so it's not cloudy eye, or a parasite, but there is another clear lid barely protecting the eye. She still can't see out of it though. But she is very healthy. Anything she sees, she'll go after, she'll eat it right up. She even sits by the lil food bowl in her 15 gallon tank, waiting for another meal. Don't worry though, I'm not over feeding her. She's in good hands. ;)

Though if anyone knows what this eye problem could be, could you please share and help me out? It would mean a lot to me. Thank you!

Name:  IMG_4703.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  52.5 KBName:  IMG_4702.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  49.2 KBName:  IMG_4701.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  55.1 KB

Sorry the pictures aren't good quality. She wouldn't let me get close to her without turning away.
    You can see her eye colour and pupil, all of it, but it's halfway shut and a little of the second eyelid is showing.

I'm not sure if anything is stuck in her eye, she injured it at the park, or if it's a birth defect.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Toad eye problem?

That is a very beautiful toad you have there. I have no real idea what is wrong with her eye. Could be many different things. The best thing to do is take it to the vet, see what they can do for it.
    Bufo americanus - Salazar (male)
    R.I.P Coco

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Toad eye problem?

Hi Jessica,

Cute toad!

It's tough to see the eye well. Does the cornea look clear? Any drainage or blood? Any visible wounds?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Politoed

Thanks! She is a real beauty, isn't she?
    Her name is Jodie.

Mitchell, I was considering taking her to the vet, though I wanted to see what anyone else thinks it could be. Hopefully it's something I could cure, but if not, it looks like she'll be taking a trip there.

And Heather, I'll try to submit a better picture tomorrow. Right now it's late so there won't be enough light, and I don't really want to handle her again (just so I won't disturb her). You see, my camera kept focusing on her body or background, basically anywhere but her eye! Ugh! Anyway, the cornea is clear. It's just around the edges of her eye is where a thin, see-through-ish substance is, which I believe is part of her eyelid. Nope, there has been none of that, no drainage, blood, or wounds.

Thanks again!

Politoed

Name:  IMG_4727.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  82.6 KBName:  IMG_4718.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  87.6 KB

Just two pictures of her, one from the short photoshoot today, and one with her in her enclosure.

Also, here are the best pictures I got of her injured eye today; some pictures done in HDR and with flash on. (She can't see out her left/injured eye, but I hope flash wouldn't ruin it more)

Name:  IMG_4719.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  70.4 KBName:  IMG_4725.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  60.9 KBName:  IMG_4733.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  68.8 KB

Sorry if these still aren't clear enough. I'll have to use my sister's Canon to get a detailed pic.

Thread Information